Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 1999 Bounder Ford v-10

Posted By: familyguy819 on 02/04/11 10:10pm

Hello, I recently purchased a 1999 Bounder. I test drove the vehicle and had no issues so i went ahead and purchased it. On the way home from our first outing (30 mi) the vehicle was shifting abnormal. On the freeway it is fine but when you come to a stop and proceed to go the transmission starts in 2nd gear rolls for about ten feet and then downshifts to firstand you are on your own your way. I took the vehicle to a local reputable transmission shop and was told the transmission is fine, its not a solenoid issue, it is something to do with the ABS system reporting speed to the vehicles computer incorrectly, so the computer does not know what gear to put the vehicle in. Does anyone have any insight. The vehicle shifts fine when you manually shift it from 1 to 2 to D. But obviously this is not correct. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted By: trailmeisterjoe on 02/04/11 10:32pm

My '99 with ford chasis had issues once and it turned out to be the transmission computer. this was years ago, and when i was researching this.....it seems that it was pretty common to have either a speed sensor problem or transmission electrics grounding issues with the fords. mine ended up being the entire "computer" but i came across many with one of the other 2 issues too.search around here and on the ford super duty forum for more..
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/

if it turns out to be the speed sensor module ( on the rear end pumpkin), its a DIY fix and yakes 10 minutes and 25 bucks...

Joe

'99 rexhall rexair with 2 slides 32 ft

Posted By: familyguy819 on 02/04/11 10:56pm

I appreciate the help and I will look into that.

Posted By: LVJ58 on 02/04/11 11:19pm

familyguy819, your problem sounds like the one described in this Ford TSB (technical service bulletin:

TSB 02-11-3

* ELECTRICAL - VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL (VSS) INPUT NOTICED WHEN TESTING WITH NEW GENERATION STAR TESTER (NGS) WHEN VEHICLE IS STOPPED - SUPER DUTY F-53 MOTORHOME CHASSIS VEHICLES BUILT 1/2/1998 THROUGH 7/31/2000

* TRANSMISSION - 4R100 - TRANSMISSION STARTS OUT IN 2ND GEAR - ERRATIC 1-2 UPSHIFT OR ERRATIC 2-1 DOWNSHIFT FROM TRANSMISSION - SUPER DUTY F-53 MOTORHOME CHASSIS VEHICLES BUILT 1/2/1998 THROUGH 7/31/2000

Publication Date: MAY 28, 2002

FORD:
1999-2000 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.

Article 01-6-4 is being republished in its entirety to update the model year coverage.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit an erratic transmission 1-2 upshift or 2-1 downshift or may start out in 2nd gear. This may be caused by a vehicle speed signal from the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) module that is contaminated with engine electrical noise from the engine wiring harness on the ground circuit. A vehicle speed input to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may be noticed when using a New Generation Star (NGS) tester to monitor the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), even when the vehicle is not moving.
ACTION:

Add a separate ground harness to improve PCM grounding. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect battery negative.
2. Remove the ground screw from under the dash (to the left of the brake pedal assembly. This screw has two (2) ground eyelets attached).
3. Drill a 6mm (1/4") hole near the original ground screw location and clean to bare metal around the hole.

NOTE: BE SURE THE NUT CAN BE INSTALLED BEHIND THE HOLE.

4. Bolt the original ground eyelets to the sheet metal using this new hole (Bolt: N805503-S301 and Nut: N620480-S301).
5. Remove the PCM connector.
6. Remove the black plastic shield from the back of the PCM connector.
7. Remove the red locking plate from the front of the connector.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Posted By: 96Bounder30E on 02/04/11 11:57pm

familyguy819....Welcome to RV.net!

Also, be sure and join the Bounder Yahoo group.......there is tons of info to be found there for your new Bounder.......

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bounder/

Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Posted By: mobilefleet on 02/05/11 06:27am

look at the overdrive light on your shifter, if it's flashing and/or if your rpm's aren't registering as you drive or they are jumping around- suspect the speed sensor. Pull codes on it first

Posted By: familyguy819 on 02/11/11 10:12pm

Thanks for all your advice it turned out to be the PCM grounding issue that was in the Ford TSB. I appreciate the help.

Posted By: 427435 on 02/11/11 10:30pm

Unless you know that the previous owner recently changed the the transmission fluid, it would be a good idea to do so. I changed mine to Mobil 1 ATF soon after buying mine.

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Posted By: SRT on 02/12/11 09:34am

familyguy819 wrote:

Thanks for all your advice it turned out to be the PCM grounding issue that was in the Ford TSB. I appreciate the help.

Had the same problem. Until the grounding problem was fixed (2005), the way was to come to a stop at the side of the road, turn off the ignition, re-start it and carry on until the next time.

Posted By: JoeH on 02/12/11 10:37am

LVJ58 wrote:

familyguy819, your problem sounds like the one described in this Ford TSB (technical service bulletin:

TSB 02-11-3

* ELECTRICAL - VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL (VSS) INPUT NOTICED WHEN TESTING WITH NEW GENERATION STAR TESTER (NGS) WHEN VEHICLE IS STOPPED - SUPER DUTY F-53 MOTORHOME CHASSIS VEHICLES BUILT 1/2/1998 THROUGH 7/31/2000

* TRANSMISSION - 4R100 - TRANSMISSION STARTS OUT IN 2ND GEAR - ERRATIC 1-2 UPSHIFT OR ERRATIC 2-1 DOWNSHIFT FROM TRANSMISSION - SUPER DUTY F-53 MOTORHOME CHASSIS VEHICLES BUILT 1/2/1998 THROUGH 7/31/2000

Publication Date: MAY 28, 2002

FORD:
1999-2000 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.

Article 01-6-4 is being republished in its entirety to update the model year coverage.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit an erratic transmission 1-2 upshift or 2-1 downshift or may start out in 2nd gear. This may be caused by a vehicle speed signal from the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) module that is contaminated with engine electrical noise from the engine wiring harness on the ground circuit. A vehicle speed input to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may be noticed when using a New Generation Star (NGS) tester to monitor the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), even when the vehicle is not moving.
ACTION:

Add a separate ground harness to improve PCM grounding. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect battery negative.
2. Remove the ground screw from under the dash (to the left of the brake pedal assembly. This screw has two (2) ground eyelets attached).
3. Drill a 6mm (1/4") hole near the original ground screw location and clean to bare metal around the hole.

NOTE: BE SURE THE NUT CAN BE INSTALLED BEHIND THE HOLE.

4. Bolt the original ground eyelets to the sheet metal using this new hole (Bolt: N805503-S301 and Nut: N620480-S301).
5. Remove the PCM connector.
6. Remove the black plastic shield from the back of the PCM connector.
7. Remove the red locking plate from the front of the connector.

I sometimes experience a similar problem..... are there any steps past #7 above ? Seems incomplete as I read it

Posted By: Hank MI on 02/12/11 11:02am

JoeH wrote:

I sometimes experience a similar problem..... are there any steps past #7 above ? Seems incomplete as I read it

I'd be interested in it too if available. My uncle has a 99 Southwind on the F53 chassis. He hasn't experienced that problem yet but if he does maybe I can help him out.

Posted By: FIRE UP on 02/12/11 11:27am

Well folks,
I must be one of the lucky ones and it was built on a Wednesday or ?. My trans has done quite well up to this point. And, that includes having a Banks complete kit w/ "TRANS-COMMAND". I hope I don't experience the problems some of you are reporting. I'll keep that TSB on file for future reference. Thanks so much for that explanation. To the OP, what model did you get?
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Print  |  Close