Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sdometahi

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dear Chevrolet Customer:

As the owner of a 2011 model year Chevrolet Cruze, equipped with a 6-speed automatic transmission, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

We are contacting you to make you aware that General Motors has received reports of transmissions overheating while towing 2011 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles, equipped with a 6-speed automatic transmission, with all four wheels on the ground (dinghy towing). In a few cases, this had led to damage to internal transmission components, and required replacement of the transmission.

General Motors requires that if you tow your vehicle, you tow it with the rear wheels on the ground and the front wheels up on a device know as a dolly, following the instructions provided by the dolly manufacturer.

Enclosed is a revised page to update your Cruze Owner Manual which contains revised instructions regarding towing your Cruze. Please take a moment to insert this supplement into Section 10 of your Owner Manual for future reference.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020 (TTY 1-800-833-2438)

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Jim Moloney

(this also includes the malibu with the same 6 speed automatic)

sepisllib

Cresco, Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Buy a Honda CR-V or a Jeep.

actually a Trail blazer or envoy are much nicer vehicles and tow very well problem free.The CRV is small and ugly and as far as iam concerned jeeps are overpriced and over rated junk .JMHO

sdometahi, why not tell us how you REALLY feel about Honda and Jeep........Dennis

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Actually Dennis - the "toad" I miss the most is the one that is not towable 4 down.

I owned a Dodge Caravan for a while and installed the pump and towed it 4 down then. Beautiful towing unit - and plenty of room for carrying "stuff" and relatives when out running and visiting.

Wish I had my Caravan back - even though I had to install the pump (only took an hour or so of work to install).

My Malibu tows great and now have well over 25,000 towed miles on her - I just miss the room.

You following my transition to residential fridge?

God Bless

Bill

Bill W. Trammell
Wife - Judy
2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
2008 Malibu 2LT toad

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM will probably continue to cover a blown transmission on a Malibu unless they send out an official letter like they did with the Cruze right?

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

sdometahi

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

univmd wrote:

GM will probably continue to cover a blown transmission on a Malibu unless they send out an official letter like they did with the Cruze right?

I think one has to realize that they more than likely have already done that?
My example just happened to be for a Cruze owner
same transmission-same problem

tommy g

West Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HONDA ACCORD!!!

1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 & Honda Accord toad

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

see below

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Badeye wrote:

After buying a Chev Cruze and then finding out that the Chev Cruze was not towable 4 down I was assured by the dealer that the 2012 Malibu was towabe 4 down. I also read it in the owner's manual. I traded for the Malibu.

Through this forum I got information that made me believe that they were wrong. I kept looking for a definite answer and called GM Customer Service. The first two people that I talked to did not have a clue what I was talking about. I finally got through to a Supervisor and she started digging into the matter. Now, just as we were preparing to install the base plate, I find that the Malibu with the 6 speed automatic transmission is not dingy towable. I am waiting now on a call from GM to tell me how they or the dealer will handle the situation. That call is supposed to come tomorrow according to the GM Customer Service supervisor.

I now know that even though the Owner's Manual says that the vehicle is dingy towable, it may not be. How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

Badeye

Here's your answer: According to Remco Towing, the 6 speed automatic (6T70 transmission) is towable 4 down as is. The 4 speed automatic (4T45 transmission) is towable 4 down as is. The 4 speed automatic (4T65E transmission) is towable 4 down with a LP1 lube pump kit. The 2012 Malibu has the 6T40 transmission. They don't list that one.

But Remco said your 2011 Cruze automatic was towable 4 down until Chevy did the recall.

The Ford Focus is nice. But not automatic. And Ford is having trouble deciding what is what with some of their automatics.

* This post was edited 08/30/11 04:25pm by wny_pat *

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

univmd wrote:

The Chevy Cruze has a different transmission than the Malibu. Cruze has the 6T40 auto tranny. The Malibu transmissions appear to be heavier duty. But watch out for the 2012 Malibu which it appears will have that not so nice 6T40.

* This post was edited 08/30/11 04:49pm by wny_pat *

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Get something with a manual transmission, before they become extinct.

In spite of what some think, not all vehicles with manual transmissions are towable four down!

Personally, I like my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I find it to be comfortable even on long trips (1500 miles is about the longest I have done in it). Sure, it gets about 18 MPG, but everything I drove in my younger years got that or less, so it is no big thing to me, I'm used to it. It tows behind the Tioga very nicely, with NO special requirements or modifications!
It works for me!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS