Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Cougar High Country 291RLS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cougar High Country 291RLS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DocLDB

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/11 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is my first post, but have been lurking for months. Getting ready to purchase our first RV. We like the floorplan and size of the High Country 291RLS, but I am wondering how much structural strength and quality is compromised by the lighter construction materials. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this Cougar. Before you ask, I will wait until after we decide on a specific fiver to order a TV, but it will be either an F250 or F350 PSD

ReverendCharles

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/11 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cougar is a excellent trailer and holds the #1 spot for resale value. I had a 5th wheel that I sold and did very well on the resale value. I thought that the trailer was built very well and had great support from Keystone on a slide issue that was way out of warranty. Check this dealer out, they have really good prices and ship anywhere in the US.
http://www.terrytownrv.com/cf/shopmast/productdetailp.cfm?productid=1345

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 12:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DocLDB wrote:

This is my first post, but have been lurking for months. Getting ready to purchase our first RV. We like the floorplan and size of the High Country 291RLS, but I am wondering how much structural strength and quality is compromised by the lighter construction materials. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this Cougar. Before you ask, I will wait until after we decide on a specific fiver to order a TV, but it will be either an F250 or F350 PSD

I have 2 main issues with the Cougar HC. 1) Because we do one major boondock trip a year, the too-small 28 gallon black tank just won't work for us. 2) The =major= concern, living in AZ, is the color. One poster had a laser thermometer and used in on two side-by-side Cougars on a 60-degree December day in full sun. The HC was 25 degrees warmer on the skin and 6 degrees warmer on the inside wall, than the white-skin FW next to it. Could I get one with 10-15 more gallons black tank and a white skin, I'd be =seriously= interested.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 56 Year Member

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our new-to-us Cougar is a 2002 286 so I don't know if it's a fair comparison to your planned purchase. However, the primary reason we bought this one was the excellent condition it was in. Now, that may be because the previous owners took exceptional care of it, and/or the quality of materials and construction was good to begin with. Inside and out, this unit looked great. I crawled under it to inspect the chassis, the slide-out motors and tracks, the electrical/plumbing and tanks, etc., and I found nothing that needed my attention or repair. Inside, there are a few trim issues that will need my attention, but I am a stickler for details like that where others might just overlook them. I can state unequivocably, however, that this Keystone product seems to be put together better than my previously owned tents LOL, Coleman popups, Mallard Class C, and Fleetwood Class A.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have camping friends with a new Cougar HC pulled with a 1/2 ton 2011 Ford.The GVWR on the HC is 10K. It is a well constructed 5th wheel in that price range (IMO) It is also a very popular brand as we see them all over the country in near every C.G we are in. Our friend never commented on the temperature or comfort in hot or cold weather and we camped in the high 90's and high humidity this summer. I myself like the color scheme laser thermometer be darned.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

LakeEffect

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had our HC 291 RLS for a year now. And have been really pleased with it. The only issue we have had with it was a bad ground connection from the battery to the 5th wheel. I tow it with a 2011 Chev 3/4 ton with the 6.0 and 3:73 rear. It has worked well for us. Last winter/spring we towed it to the RGV of TX from MI and on the way home up thru NM and CO w/o any problems other than a blow out on the passenger side rear tire (Which is another issue). We like the color and didn't have any problems with heat in TX last spring, but we did have some shade from the afternoon sun. Good luck with your purchase!

2011 Cougar 291 High Country
2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2 Kayaks, 2 bikes, golf clubs and hiking shoes
Suzuki V Strom 650
Cody, Yellow Lab/Brittany mix

DocLDB

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks a lot for the posts so far. Keep them coming. For those of you that are old hands at this, you may have forgotten just how much us newbies learn from your experience.

rubio07

Houston,Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our last cougar was a 2004 301bhs..we put around 40,000 miles on it...traded it in for a 2011 cougar 324 rlb...it has a grey front cap, but we opted for the second ac in the bedroom and it has no problem keeping 76 deg in the texas heat and the master bedroom gets down right cold. We have put about 2000 miles on this one with only minor warranty issues like a couple of switches and a cabinet door that was replaced under warranty.

2011 Keystone Cougar 324 rlb
2000 Ford F250

wwhites

Greenwood, MS

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/11 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just purchased a 291RLS and will pick it up Friday. I have a 2010 F150 pick-up with factory towing package. Just taking the word of several camper retailers that i would not have a problem due to my truck size. Can't wait to find out.

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/11 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wwhites wrote:

Just purchased a 291RLS and will pick it up Friday. I have a 2010 F150 pick-up with factory towing package. Just taking the word of several camper retailers that i would not have a problem due to my truck size. Can't wait to find out.

Do not take the word of "camper retailers" be sure to run the payload calculations yourself. IMHO Towing most 5er's with a half ton truck is dicey...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cougar High Country 291RLS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS