Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Will I Ever Learn?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Will I Ever Learn?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/13 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulled the TT into the RV barn last year and remembered the front steps were still down - 1/100th of a second too late. Just bent them back a tad. Got a friend with a PortaPower to straighten them, but over time the situation has deteriorated to the point that the bottom step popped off the other day. Generics won't fit my Jayco without a lot of metal work I can't do, so $300 + shot.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
Equalizer WDH
'02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD, PacBrake,
6.0 cooler, Ford AIS, Isspro trans. gauge
Flashpaq tuner, AirLift airbags
2013 Ford Expedition King Ranch

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/13 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You certainly are not the lone ranger on that!

I watched friends of mine with a MH that has the retractable 2 steps head out of the driveway in front of me with their steps down. I tried blowing the horn screaming at them as I watched them make the turn out of their driveway and jam those step into a big wrought iron gate!

We were 6 hours late getting on the road for that trip.....they had have a guy come out and cut their steps out of the gate and part of the gate to release the gates hold on the MH!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

thirtydaZe

Omaha

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/13 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our new tt has a fold out handle at the door entry. Our last one did not. Needless to say, 2 trips, 2 times i've forgotten to fold it back in.....

2013 Pilot~Spirit of St. Louis.
2013 Ram 2500 CTD.

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/13 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TV antennas are another one that is easy to forget. You typically haven't used the television since the night before, so out of sight out of mind. At least with the steps you've probably just used them.

100ton

Huntington Beach, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/13 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about your mishap.

i always perform the "Golden Circle" before getting underway, walk around the trailer and truck before getting underway. Even though I am very careful when preparing to leave, I still find a few things that need attention from time to time. The circle also reduces the chance of leaving something behind.

In my profession of thirty-five years this practice was required of the employees, not a bad habit to pick up.

Robert

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/13 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I left my power cord partially out one time. Of course after it drug on the road for several miles it was toast. Was lucky enough to buy replacement parts on a Sunday afternoon but still had to put a new plug on when I got to the CG in 90+ degree temps and sweltering humidity.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/13 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The day I bought the TH, I was backing it in to the side yard (dodging the fire hydrant at the corner of the driveway, the narrow gate on the side of the house) didn't dodge the rain gutter on the roof of the house. Brand new trailer against a sealed gutter. Luckily the trailer won, and the gutter just leaks down on the driveway.

Made that too narrow gate wider, but still 2 inches too narrow. Pulling out for a trip I caught the awning leg and ripped it off the trailer as I was dodging the rain gutter and fire hydrant.

I going to get the hydrant next!

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges in cubby hole, GDP 20/2 filters on frame rail, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/13 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100ton wrote:

Sorry about your mishap.

i always perform the "Golden Circle" before getting underway...

Robert

Robert, we are talking about steps here. Steps are beyond the protection of circle checks. It's a proven fact. As a former pilot I know the value of both them and check lists. I am absolutely positive that if steps had not retracted with the plane doors closing, I would have left them out!

doxiemom11

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/13 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every time you park, put a bright neon colored sticky note on your steering wheel that says -- Steps? Antenna? Power Cords?

It will remind you

If you do it immediately before anything else, it may help.

Luckily we have an alarm for the antenna and when our motor start the steps retract. (motorhome)

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/13 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100ton wrote:

Sorry about your mishap.

i always perform the "Golden Circle" before getting underway, walk around the trailer and truck before getting underway. Even though I am very careful when preparing to leave, I still find a few things that need attention from time to time. The circle also reduces the chance of leaving something behind.

In my profession of thirty-five years this practice was required of the employees, not a bad habit to pick up.

Robert

One thing I include on my walk around is to check the lights (hazard, directional, brake) always check the roof

One thing I almost missed on my first trip with my camper was the door to the front basement storage area was open. i caught it before any damage was done. I am in my camper bed making a check list similar to a pilots pre flight take off list. I have seen a set of rings that attach to the steering wheel the idea is to remove each ring as you complete each task. I think a printed check list will work better for me.

* This post was edited 06/03/13 05:35pm by silvercorvette *

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Will I Ever Learn?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS