Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: fib a little
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> fib a little

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
nephi007

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/13 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy.Manually cranked up our trailer in a campground and the wood underneath the jack moved and the trailer crashed to the ground. Called AAA and plan b emergency road service (its called Choice) Founds out they don't cover me since I needed a tow truck to lift trailer A frame so I could slip the wood back under. Since I was not in a ditch, in danger or on the side of the road Choice rep said he would call a tow truck out but hey would charge $92.25 cents to do the job. Ok I said. Tow truck driver comes out in 5 minutes trailer jack is back on wood. He said I should have fibbed and told emergency road service folks I was in danger in a ditch etc and they would have paid. Hmmm. Upshot is DW went to high school with drivers older brother and sister (we were in DW's old stomping grounds)and charged us only $26.00. SO dear saintly fellow rver's..should I have fibbed? Advise please.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/13 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nephi007 wrote:

Howdy.Manually cranked up our trailer in a campground and the wood underneath the jack moved and the trailer crashed to the ground. Called AAA and plan b emergency road service (its called Choice) Founds out they don't cover me since I needed a tow truck to lift trailer A frame so I could slip the wood back under. Since I was not in a ditch, in danger or on the side of the road Choice rep said he would call a tow truck out but hey would charge $92.25 cents to do the job. Ok I said. Tow truck driver comes out in 5 minutes trailer jack is back on wood. He said I should have fibbed and told emergency road service folks I was in danger in a ditch etc and they would have paid. Hmmm. Upshot is DW went to high school with drivers older brother and sister (we were in DW's old stomping grounds)and charged us only $26.00. SO dear saintly fellow rver's..should I have fibbed? Advise please.

you did the right thing. but I would start shopping for a new roadside service. take a look at Good Sam and Coach Net.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/13 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no fibbing. cause if the driver came out expecting you in a ditch, a driver with some good character would have charged you anyway and not lied along with you. It isn't worth his job for your lie.

being fibby gets ya in trouble most times. it isn't worth it.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/13 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should you commit insurance fraud?

Invest in a good elec. jack

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/13 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. IMHO a person that will "fib a little" will fib a lot and is not to be trusted.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/13 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering? Did you have chocks behind the wheels first? If so how did it fall off the wood? Might consider getting a bottle jack or jack of some sort just in case, you might need to change a tire sometime anyway.

Bob & Ann

North AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/13 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you did was right. At the end of the day we have to live with ourselves. The good news is that you now know what your roadside assistance is like. You now can take your time to research a good roadside assistance program before you need it again.

Bob and Ann
One HAPPY Schnauzer - Della
One FRISKY Chihuahua - Lola
Tiffin Motor Home
2014 40 QBH Phaeton
Freightliner Chassis
Cummins ISL 380 HP/150 Torque
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Toad
Brake Buddy Vantage

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/13 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was a kid, being called a liar were fighting words. These days, if one is called that, a lot of people feel it is a compliment because fooling people is considered the "in" thing these days; the pathway to success.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I think the OP is right not to lie, even something relatively small like the jack. A C-note isn't worth one's honor.

Plus, even though it is minor, it is obvious, and can be considered insurance fraud (likely wouldn't mean anything criminal, but would give the insurance co grounds to completely drop all policies at their whim.)

memgrove

Elkhart In

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/13 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avoid the call in the first place.

Jack the front as high as the Jack will go. Then stack wood under the a-frame (reserving the piece that goes under the jack).Let trailer rest on the a-frame pile while retracting the jack enough to get the original piece of wood under it. If it is not high enough you may need to do this a few times. Now jack the trailer off of the a-frame pile and you should be good... now figure out how to keep this from happening again.

Mike

byways

anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/13 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one has to ask....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> fib a little
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS