Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Topic: Pulling 40' toy hauler

Posted By: GRNT on 07/24/11 04:13pm

I think there is another variable that should be discussed. Over the road haulers are usually trained professionals that have to go through training in order to get a CDL. Part of that training is what to do in various emergency situations, IE failed brakes. Braking or lack of is probably the foremost cause of accidents with Trucks. And yet they go through training to know what to do. The RV weekend warriors (no pun intended) that are on the road with with 40 foot 5th wheel TH are equivalent many times to the weight as an over the road 40 foot box trailer loaded with say plastic widgets. And yet those people don't have to have CDL's or any special training in order to pull that load. Commercial box trailers are very thin skinned trailers built to haul cargo. Toy haulers are lets say medium skinned trailers (depending on manuf.) hauling a******load of stuff like gas, toys, food, slides
, etc. etc. Most 40 foot TH's with those loads will exceed 20K lbs. and can be more in the 22K range. That is in the commercial weight range for hauling. Now you haven't even added the tractor yet. So I simply pose this question of commom sense to those that feel their F350 or Dodge 3500 or the Duramax are adequate. Why do you think that there are so many semi HDT's are on the road if one of the 1 ton dually's could haul that load? Hum? Maybe because there just isn't enough breaks to stop it? and that the laws prohibit it and morally it is a crime to put others on the road in danger of the negligence that would be taking place?
There are alternatives. Buy the trailer that your truck is meant to haul or buy a large enough motorhome to pull the trailer that will haul all your crap. Or buy the truck that will haul the trailer you want with all your******in it.
I chose the legal and moral way when I went to 40ft, 22K lbs of trailer when loaded full of my crap.

2007 40foot(really 41 actual measurement) KZ Escalade with 3 slides and Generator. 16,300lbs dry (weighted on way home from Lot new). From 20,500lbs to 22,000lbs when all the******is in it. (Measured on the road a couple of times at truck stop scales.)

2007 Freightliner M2 at 11K Lbs w/fuel etc. (Scale weight)

22K lb trailer + 11K loaded Lb truck = 33K lbs. Legal GVWR

Alternative. 22K lb trailer + 9K lb dually PU loaded = 31K lbs. Illegal GVWR.

I've made it easy here. Instead of saying "you do the math," I did it for you.

Just my opinion and I know what it's worth.

P.S. I'd never trade my ride in my air seats, air ride cab, air ride rear suspension and air 5th wheel hitch for yours. Been there done that. NOOOO Thanks.

* This post was edited 07/25/11 10:22am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: Roadcruiser on 07/24/11 05:47pm

I own an F350 Diesel SRW and 35' Crossforce toyhauler. I've pulled it for four years. April this year I flew to Casa Grande, AZ to drive my friend home, another story. He has a 40' Excel Wild Cargo with his one ton Chevy DRW. I now know the difference between SWR and DRW. My rig weighs in at around 9,500 to 10,000 loaded. His is considerably more. Anybody who tells you a SRW unit is great on a 40' toyhauler obviously does not have any first hand experience showing the difference. I was amazed at the night and day difference between my small rig and his huge over-loaded rig and the handling improvement with DRW. Stability in wind and curves and panic stops is far superior to an SWR vehicle. I am looking at updating to a 40' rig and I can tell you for sure I will be updating to DRW drive also.

Posted By: rock-rod on 07/24/11 07:43pm

Wow. A thread where even 1 ton dually trucks are getting bashed.

2003 Ram 2500 QC HO 6 spd. Pacbrake, Ride Rite bags, TST CR47, Hankook Dynapro ATMs (285/70-17s)
Reese 18k Signature Series with manual slide
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 Toy Hauler
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80

Posted By: sptrucksbyed on 07/24/11 10:28pm

I tow a 43' Raptor 4014 with my 2005 ford 350 4DR SRW and have no problems doing it !!!!!

2012 Ford F-350 DRW CC 4x4
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2 Yamaha Raptors
2 Yamaha Banshees
2011 RZRS
2011 RZR XP900

Posted By: lawnspecialties on 07/25/11 09:24am

rock-rod wrote:

Wow. A thread where even 1 ton dually trucks are getting bashed.

We just can't win.

Posted By: kofire on 07/25/11 12:18pm

I would imagine thAt probably 95% of towers across the USA tow that size trailer with f250s, f350s and f450s. I have rarely heard of any accidents with any of them. Actually I have never hard of any accidents at all. If you choose to buy a mdt or larger that is up to you but statistically speaking you really don't need one. There are much more important things to worry about when your just driving and carrying on in your day to day life. Just because you go ridiculously overkill does not make you or your rig safe. There are far to many people who tow with regular size trucks and have never been involved in an accident to justify getting A mdt or bigger. Not everyone can afford a monster like that nor can they justify it, nor is it needed.

Posted By: nwcutie on 07/25/11 01:04pm

My 40 foot Adrenaline weighs about 18000 lbs when its fully loaded. We giggle about tripping the "Truck must exit" signs.

That said, I towed it for 2.5 years with a 1998 Chevy 454 gas cc dually. We went from Washington to South Dakota, up and down Strawberry Hill near Lead and all over. I had an aftermarket brake controller in the pickup. One day I didn't like the way my truck stopped and took it in. The brakes had heat stress cracks nearly all the way through - yikes!

Now I tow with an F350 cc diesel dually with the tow-boss. Much nicer - the engine braking, the integrated trailer brake controller makes me feel more confident.

USAA won't insure an F450 on my policy.

I did take the trailer in to have the trailer brakes checked it is 5.5 years old. When you pull such a load its important to check the brakes on the truck and the trailer both. Have fun!

Children are unpredictable. You never know how high up the wall they're going to drive you

2006 F350 King Ranch CC Dually
a really, really big 2006 Adrenaline 400DS
kids, quads, and a dog - life is great

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 07/27/11 02:26pm

I pulled my 15K lb Fuzion 382 with a bagged '08 F-250 for 3 years and always thought it did fine. Very stable/no swaying, stopped easily and had plenty of power. I recently upgraded to a 2011 F450 and honestly don't notice much difference. Of course, the F450 does phenominal, but I thought my F250 did too. My triple axle 5th wheel pulls every bit as nice as my 26 ft car trailer, possibly even smoother with either truck.

Posted By: lincster on 07/27/11 04:11pm

smashedheadcat wrote:

I pulled my 15K lb Fuzion 382 with a bagged '08 F-250 for 3 years and always thought it did fine. Very stable/no swaying, stopped easily and had plenty of power. I recently upgraded to a 2011 F450 and honestly don't notice much difference. Of course, the F450 does phenominal, but I thought my F250 did too. My triple axle 5th wheel pulls every bit as nice as my 26 ft car trailer, possibly even smoother with either truck.

Probably did not see much difference cause the newer F450's are no better than a F250/350. I think Furd dropped the ball on the current F450.
Now, get a 2008-2010 F450, there you will say there is a night and day difference from your F250.

2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 07/28/11 09:17am

lincster wrote:

Probably did not see much difference cause the newer F450's are no better than a F250/350. I think Furd dropped the ball on the current F450.
Now, get a 2008-2010 F450, there you will say there is a night and day difference from your F250.

For me, all I could ever ask for when towing heavy is that the trailer does not sway, I can stop it in a hurry if I need to, and it doesn't buck when I hit a small bump in the road. Both trucks hit the wickets for me. I'm sure a 2008 F450 would do the job as well.

So if any of these trucks can accomplish the task comfortably, why get an 08 F450 that gets 10mpg empty and 6.5 when towing? My 250 got 15mpg empty and around 7mpg while towing and the new 450 gets 15.5 empty and 10 mpg towing.

Print  |  Close
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next