Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: CB and XM antenna mounts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> CB and XM antenna mounts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
WeGotLabs

Central Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/13 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone,

I just bought a 2012 Ram 3500 Long Bed and I have a couple of questions I need help with.

1. Does anyone know where I can get a CB antenna mount that would fit on the left front fender between the hood and fender?

2. I haven't put the camper on the truck yet, but from the location of the factory mounted XM antenna, it is going to be blocked when the camper is mounted. How are those of that have the same or similar setup dealing with this? I have an antenna on my camper and I would switch antennas on my other truck but since the XM is a part of the factory radio, what's the best idea here?

Thanks for everyone's help

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Long Bed
04 Adventurer 810WS
Yamaha Rhino 660
Rokon Trailbreaker

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/13 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although I'm not a fan of their antennas, Firestik makes some very creative mounts. For an antenna I would go with a Wilson or K40.
My Sat. radio antenna is aftermarket. It is mounted on the hood, about 6 inches forward of the windshield and centered side to side. I leave it there all the time. It works great except if I have the camper on, am traveling north, and go under a bridge. Then, the audio drops out for a second or so. I could move it to the front edge of the hood but it's not that big a deal.

CAJW

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/13 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've got a 2013 Chevy with a factory XM sat radio, which has the roof mounted antenna. Camper dealer said most folks don't get reception with the camper on, but ours works pretty well. As noted above by KD, heading north or in the mountains it occasionally cuts out, but normally works fairly well. My .02 is that you try it out first with the camper loaded and decide if it gives you enough reception to be usable or if you need to invest in a remotely mounted antenna. Good luck.

2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableload Upper Overloads & Frame Mount Tie-downs, w/ Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Torklift Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wig, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507 sensors, CubbyCam.

Jaxom

Eastpointe, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/13 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard, but cannot verify, that the satellite radio and in-dash GPS receiver share the antenna. Some have reported GPS issues when using aftermarket antennas. My GPS does not suffer said issue even though I haven't changed OEM antenna or location. My Sirius reception is in need of an upgrade.
YMMV

Jerry
2010 Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually
2015 SureTrac 16' + 4' deck over pop up beavertail
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer
2013 CampLite (Livin'Lite) 10.0 Aluminum Truck Camper

skipbee

Glen Arm,Md. 21057 USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/13 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you can find mounts to attach antennas in the opening between the the hood and fender at most truck stops. I put the XM antenna under a bug deflector on the front of the hood. It has been good.

skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
12' Porta-Bote alongside
All that glisters is not gold. All who wander are not lost. See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4.

Jaxom

Eastpointe, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/13 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't recall where I bought this mount, online somewhere. It is a Firestik mount and cable. I'm not crazy about it, but haven't found any I like better.

iwon415

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.wearecb.com/

Have most everything you might need.

Ramp Digger

Hiawassee

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/13 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi I ordered my CB radio and antenna mounts from a company online called 'Right channel radio' you can google it and probally find them.They were very helpful and prompt in sending my order and answering my questions.
ramp

05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/13 01:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to look at The Firestik page. Click on mounts and accessories at the top and them off to the left, you can select various mounts.

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

WeGotLabs

Central Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/13 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wanted to let everyone know I found a company online that sells brackets for the newer trucks.

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/index.html

I ordered one and it is actually a perfect fit and pretty stout.

Happy travels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> CB and XM antenna mounts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS