Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Forum Technical Support: Invalid topic or ID....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Invalid topic or ID....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/17 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

darsben1 wrote:

The incorrect configuration could be on your end.
Since few have the problem it is probably something in the configuration on your end.

Okay, since you are so certain, what is the problem?

More specifically, on what information do you base your analysis? I've provided a great deal of very accurate and applicable detail, yet your "gut" (?) tells you all that is wrong and that another user cannot possibly know anything about it [emoticon]

So please enlighten us all with whatever telepathy you are using.

While you're at it, please PM me your certifications. I don't share mine in public and wouldn't ask you too, either.

Did you look at my previous suggestions? I did not see your answer so I wonder if you even looked at them?
Also you can find out a little about me at http://www.ictforhealth.com/the-company/people.html my name is Ben

* This post was edited 06/11/17 06:16pm by darsben1 *

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/17 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darsben1 wrote:

Did you look at my previous suggestions? I did not see your answer so I wonder if you even looked at them?
Also you can find out a little about me at http://www.ictforhealth.com/the-company/people.html my name is Ben

I always encourage folks to better themselves and be proud of their accomplishments. I would never take that away from anyone, it's a sign of hard work and personal drive [emoticon]

Here's a link for you: Certified Information Systems Security Professional

(and that was an afterthought just so I could officially certify certain networks and "things")

Safe to say I know a thing or two about computers and "stuff"

...and grillin' don't forget that! I fire a mean grill!

(can you tell we're leaving for camping this week? Mentally checked out [emoticon] )

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 01:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get this a lot when I am on craigslist and looking up more than one type of item.

What I narrowed it down to as to why they think I am a bot is my internet service bounces around where it connects. Sometime's actually showing a different IP. I thought you could only have one IP unless you were on the down low and using IPchicken etc. Well, my provider changes my IP and location causing me to look like a bot sometimes.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

I get this a lot when I am on craigslist and looking up more than one type of item.

What I narrowed it down to as to why they think I am a bot is my internet service bounces around where it connects. Sometime's actually showing a different IP. I thought you could only have one IP unless you were on the down low and using IPchicken etc. Well, my provider changes my IP and location causing me to look like a bot sometimes.

My service doesn't do this, but it could affect yours because of that.

I'm more than 80% sure why it is happening and it has to do with their configuration and stats. During their peak times of activity (including suspicious), the system "gives up" and falls back to number of requests in a given time period.

Obviously, if a poster has some time and wants to use the site, then goes out to work on his camper, he would post or view more items in a given period. Also new subscriptions on various topics will allow a poster to better use his time to view topics of interest.

The reward for being efficient with your own time? The website WASTING your time by playing whack-a-mole Captcha with ZERO legitimate risk matches. (Hence the "wrong rules being used" comments)

When I come to this site, I look for things *I* am interested in, not something I think will make the site's advertisers happy. I try to learn things and offer help to others when I can. Sometimes even give an opinion or two, LOL.

IT Professionals after a certain level have a certain disdain for "lazy" or "unqualified" people who call themselves "IT security" or act like super-duper-experts when they do not have the qualifications to do so and especially when they refuse to heed the learned opinions of those who are qualified.

Those who want to learn are welcomed and mentored. Heck, many of us sort of watch out for their sites, just to be helpful to someone trying his best.

Case in point. I recently had an "IT Professional" who bragged about working on one of the biggest gov't networks, setting up webpages and such get all high and mighty with me and acting like my comments were dumb and worthless.

I was polite and factual. I tried to cajole and encourage, explaining things in detail, hoping he'd see the light. But his ego was just too big [emoticon]

Finally, I told him I designed and certified large parts of that network and others. I could have told him about things I've done that are widely known. But I didn't. The goal isn't to squash people, it is to build them up and help them out.

Sadly, some are too stubborn or blinded by their own brilliance to listen. Not my job to force them, though sometimes I shine a spotlight on their actions, hoping they will realized their foolishness.

But when their "lack of prudent effort" causes inconvenience to me, I sometimes add a bell and flashing lights until they finally decide to fix it- especially when it is so "simple" to do.

I don't often put this much detail up, especially about my qualifications. This subject and site are a hobby and supposed to be relaxing. I don't want it to creep into the professional world, same as many others here who are professionals in a variety of fields [emoticon]

Remember, don't be too hard on the Mods. They do not have the technical ear of the owners' team, either. (but they get all the complaints)

It's not unique to this site. It's quite often I've been on the phone with the "escalation team" of some site or another, get a bunch of BS excuses, then tell my certification and tell him to browse to such and such location or configuration on his server and read what is there. "Oh...THAT's not right...." Then it is fixed in seconds, LOL.

Usually then I talk to them about their certs and what CISSP can do for them and how they can get started on advancing their careers and such.

When this site is down or if it would have a major problem, it would be inconvenient to all of us, including some very regular users I've come to know and respect, many of which have helped me with my questions.

So if I see a risk or problem, I am more likely to report it. Knowing what Cloudflare and Captcha are supposed to help with...they are important to have working correctly and NOT have security errors and holes.

Hence the big long posts and explanations [emoticon] A little frustration mixed in there, too, LOL.

For contracts, I simply say, "I'm paid to give advice. You don't have to take it." (Except for Prudent Man Rule items that I spell out in great detail to help them avoid potential legal issues)

So when I give it away for "free," it's insulting not to be heeded. Oh well, their ballfield [emoticon]

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

darsben1 wrote:

The incorrect configuration could be on your end.
Since few have the problem it is probably something in the configuration on your end.

Okay, since you are so certain, what is the problem?

More specifically, on what information do you base your analysis? I've provided a great deal of very accurate and applicable detail, yet your "gut" (?) tells you all that is wrong and that another user cannot possibly know anything about it [emoticon]

So please enlighten us all with whatever telepathy you are using.

While you're at it, please PM me your certifications. I don't share mine in public and wouldn't ask you too, either.
Since you are so richly qualified, why haven't you figured out the problem and rectified it? I have never gotten a Captcha window in the years I have used these forums. You aren't getting multiple responses chiming in with experiences similar to yours. Yet there are responses with experiences that mirror mine, which is no Captcha windows. To an amateur troubleshooter like me, that would indicate the problem is on your end, not endemic to the forum portals. But what the heck, you are the self anointed internet expert and everyone else's experiences and opinions aren't relevant. So why post here asking for opinions and options in the first place?

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Since you are so richly qualified, why haven't you figured out the problem and rectified it? I have never gotten a Captcha window in the years I have used these forums. You aren't getting multiple responses chiming in with experiences similar to yours. Yet there are responses with experiences that mirror mine, which is no Captcha windows. To an amateur troubleshooter like me, that would indicate the problem is on your end, not endemic to the forum portals. But what the heck, you are the self anointed internet expert and everyone else's experiences and opinions aren't relevant. So why post here asking for opinions and options in the first place?

Show me the contract and the server login credentials [emoticon]

Otherwise it is a no-no to do pen testing on someone else's server. Ethics are a big deal and part of the requirement. I would never attempt to hack someone's server without written permission from the top of the food chain. Certainly not to respond to a troll.

I understand why you've been banned in the past. Always ready to criticize and inflame. Always disrespectful and rude. Always looking to get your snarks in at someone else's expense.

Feel free to ignore my posts and threads if you can't be civil.

...and that is all the satisfaction your rudeness will get from me. Have a nice day.

PS- "self-annointed"? Certification is the opposite of "self," it is independent and recognized worldwide in all serious IT circles. Guess you'd say the same insults to someone with a PhD for better than a decade and call them "self-annointed" [emoticon]

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

Show me the contract and the server login credentials [emoticon]

Otherwise it is a no-no to do pen testing on someone else's server. Ethics are a big deal and part of the requirement. I would never attempt to hack someone's server without written permission from the top of the food chain. Certainly not to respond to a troll.

I understand why you've been banned in the past. Always ready to criticize and inflame. Always disrespectful and rude. Always looking to get your snarks in at someone else's expense.

Feel free to ignore my posts and threads if you can't be civil.

...and that is all the satisfaction your rudeness will get from me. Have a nice day.

PS- "self-annointed"? Certification is the opposite of "self," it is independent and recognized worldwide in all serious IT circles. Guess you'd say the same insults to someone with a PhD for better than a decade and call them "self-annointed" [emoticon]
Maybe you should read your own posts. You are insulting the other posters left and right. Only you know the answers, everyone else is just being ignorant.
Like I said, if you don't want anybody else's opinion, don't ask for it. And if you don't want to be thought of as an arrogant ignoramus, don't respond to those posts by boasting you are smarter, more qualified, and therefore their opinion and experience is of no value. And in my opinion, the height of arrogance is constantly broadcasting your supposed qualifications while banally asking the posters to broadcast theirs.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And in my opinion, the height of arrogance is constantly broadcasting your supposed qualifications while banally asking the posters to broadcast theirs.

Another of your "everyone else is a liar" posts. Your posting theme is getting old. You attack new people who are posting a complaint, outright accusing them of lying, nobody else has any skills or knowledge, and only your opinions matter.

Insulting me for being skilled in an area is like insulting an electrician for giving electrical advice. Mature people speak differently to people of different skill levels when discussing the specific subject at hand.

One wouldn't explain the gauges of wire if he knows the person to whom he's speaking is an electrician. Likewise, when an electrician posts about electrical safety, electrical code, and offers advice, wise people heed his advice in that area.

It's no different here, except that YOU think it gives you the right to be insulting and rude. STOP IT.

If you have something constructive to add to the TOPIC, feel free to do so. If not, I invite you to move on.

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

...I believe it's CLoudflare doing it, not the forum. Either your IP range or browser user agent may be in the Cloudflare sketchy range, or the traffic is very heavy.

This is likely the reason. I was updated that some of the less moderated forums are essentially using a reverse proxy to weed out potential Spam. There's not much anyone is going to be able to do if your IP is in the quarantine range, or the software is equating posting habits typical to Spam behavior. Whatever that may be?

Certifications are only as good as they are realistically useful for your organization? Our chief enterprise desktop/server technician is the only one I know in my office who completed the CISSP certification. He declined to take the ongoing training and tests to maintain his CISSP, as he mentioned the certification was more orientated toward policy making, and not actually toward formulating hands-on solutions. Which is what he prefers. Working directly with end users to solve hardware, software, and security issues. If security policy making is your cup of tea, someone has to do it, then more power to you?

One of his son's on the other hand, is receiving top hands-on, if not very expensive, ongoing net security training certifications compliments of taxpayers. I think my co-worker would love to do what his son does daily, though quite possibly Not Something All would want to do? Though when his son does retire from the military, he should have no problem getting a well paid job?

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492 wrote:

I was updated that some of the less moderated forums are essentially using a reverse proxy to weed out potential Spam. There's not much anyone is going to be able to do if your IP is in the quarantine range, or the software is equating posting habits typical to Spam behavior. Whatever that may be?

Comcast is a BIG network to flag [emoticon]

Quote:

Certifications are only as good as they are realistically useful for your organization? Our chief enterprise desktop/server technician is the only one I know in my office who completed the CISSP certification. He declined to take the ongoing training and tests to maintain his CISSP, as he mentioned the certification was more orientated toward policy making, and not actually toward formulating hands-on solutions.

That is up to your individual organization to determine. Some organizations don't require certifications, or degrees, or experience. Others do. Still others are bound by rules and regulations and require it. Only certified people can certify a network. Doesn't mean there aren't networks out there that aren't certified, or operate without certification.

There are also some people who get a certification and never continue or put it to good use. What good is a doctor who never practices or keeps up with research? Most people are smart enough to insist on proper medical certifications.

But...it's not a career path for everyone. If you're in an organization that doesn't value a certification and you're happy with your job, you're winning! Take the path that is right for you.

Quote:

Which is what he prefers. Working directly with end users to solve hardware, software, and security issues. If security policy making is your cup of tea, someone has to do it, then more power to you?

Although there are some who are strictly "policy people," most are not. Pen testing, network certification, hardware and software testing AND certification, policy making and refining, cybersecurity, counter-intrusion (including virus, hacks, trojans, exploits of all sorts), and standards are just some of the typical activities.

Quote:

One of his son's on the other hand, is receiving top hands-on, if not very expensive, ongoing net security training certifications compliments of taxpayers. I think my co-worker would love to do what his son does daily, though quite possibly Not Something All would want to do? Though when his son does retire from the military, he should have no problem getting a well paid job?

Portability and widespread recognition of skillsets are key goals to certifications. When it comes time to list your bio on a solicitation or company profile, it doesn't hurt, either [emoticon]

Thanks for the update on the Cloudflare and Captcha issues. Not everyone is familiar with them or have set them up and though well-intentioned, they are still and only server side items, nothing for an end user to do.

My network is squeaky clean, as is my computer, from a security standpoint. I can't speak for my neighbors or others sharing my subnet at Comcast. Blocking entire ranges without balancing against historical data (have you passed Captcha already? Multiple times? Whitelist), is a half-baked solution or implementation.

If a system doesn't learn and adapt, it isn't very effective and has a very short period of usability. They usually end up with more "bad/false" hits than real ones [emoticon]

Hopefully some readers are finding this information interesting and educational, too. I know I would [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Invalid topic or ID....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS