Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: traveling from Ohio to Montana
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> traveling from Ohio to Montana

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
momodolls

cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/17 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I are embarking on our first extended road trip this September...we're heading from Cincinnati to Billings, Montana. We hope to take a few days getting there, seeing sights along the way. After arriving in Billings and spending some time with my brother, we hope to eventually get to Glacier National Park, possibly Bamf, in Canada and eventually Yellowstone. Any suggestions on where to stop along the way? (we had thought the badlands and Mt. Rushmore for starters) Any suggestions on other things to see in Montana? How to pack for a trip of 4-6 weeks?? Reserve camp sights ahead of time or stop spur of the moment? Any help on these or all topics would be appreciated!

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

take your time ,

momodolls

cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/17 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we intend to! That's why we were thinking about finding camp sights as we go instead of booking ahead with exact dates...just not sure how easy it would be to find available sight on the spur of the moment

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/17 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I (retired) like to take eight-week trips. We take enough clothes for two weeks, and plan to take a "day off" for laundry as needed. After a week or ten days of sightseeing, we are usually ready for a day off, anyway.

For a break from interstate highways, State Highway 2 across Nebraska has nice scenery and light traffic; a good way to get up to the badlands and Mt Rushmore.

In September, if you want hookups, reservations at Yellowstone Fishing Bridge are wise. At Glacier, if you can't camp in the park, there are several private RV parks close to the west entrance.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/17 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, this thread probably belongs in "RV Parks, Campgrounds, and Attractions".

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/17 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

momodolls wrote:

we intend to! That's why we were thinking about finding camp sights as we go instead of booking ahead with exact dates...just not sure how easy it would be to find available sight on the spur of the moment

We have done seven 8 to 9 week cross country trips so far and never make advance reservations. Having a fixed schedule based on reservations would ruin the adventure for us. We travel the shoulder seasons when families with school age kids are stuck at home - May-June and Sept-Oct. We don't need hookups every night, which opens up many options for camping. In early afternoon we figure out how much further we want to drive and call ahead for a site for the night. It is very rare to have to call a second campground. We plan ahead a couple of days for travel during holiday weekends, but since you will be traveling after Labor Day you should not have that issue.

There are a number of dry camping choices inside Yellowstone, as well as Fishing Bridge, which has FHU. Also a number of RV Parks in West Yellowstone. As you get into late September and October, check for campground closing dates.

Don't miss Grand Teton NP, just 40 miles south of Yellowstone.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450">

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't make reservation but some northern campgrounds start closeing down in mid September not much traffic. Check out the campground where you plan to visit to see which close down or some run on linited utilities E/S but no water or only a spigets to fill you tank.

When you get to higher elevations there's always the possibility of snow in Sept-Oct. We camped in RMNP labor day weekend+
a number of years ago and they had 6 inches of snow on trail Ridge road before we got home.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/17 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/17 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Momodolls,

The first problem is that you don't specify if your RV can function self-contained. Let's hope it can at least for one night at a time.

As a man that wore a name tag that had "Navigator" under my name, I am a planner. In that life I never had to plan more than a few days and there were seldom any options. RVing is different. One never knows what he may stumble across. There is a myriad of amazing things to see in this great country. I have found that under the best of circumstances, RV travel plans are good three days at best. So, if you need a crampground for hooksup, take advantage of modern technology and make reservations by phone while you are underway.

With the death of stand-alone planners, you are limited in what you can schedule, but it can still be done. If you travel much off the blue roads, count on being out of at least 4G data and maybe even cell access for days at a time. I have taken up printing a large scale copy of the provider's coverage map so I know which way to go to get wire.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/17 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We too are headed to Montana,but leaving in mid Aug. We pack for about 10 days and do laundry when we get to Great Falls at our Dau. house usually 5 to 7 days of travel for the almost 2K miles. We usually do not do much in the way of site seeing on our way as we lived in Rapid City for 9 years and traveled back and forth the southeastern Indiana in that time. We have used about every major road headed west from our place in the last 30 years since moving back that we just pick one at the last minute and go. If you are interested in USAF aviation there is the South Dakota Air and Space Museum at Ellsworth AFB just east of Rapid City off of I-90 and open to the public as it is of the base proper. The Good Sam trip planner will give you lots of sites to see, based on you interest, along the way. Our tenative schedule has us back in the Black Hills by mid Sept. then on south to N.M. before heading home the first week of Oct. Hope you enjoy your trip.

2004.5 Dodge 2500ctd Quadcab. Lariamie, 3.73, auto. pure stock
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> traveling from Ohio to Montana
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS