Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Can't find a coaxial selector switch in my RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can't find a coaxial selector switch in my RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ZaBigD

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/17 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my 1990 Fleetwood Flair my TV antenna works very poorly. I cannot find a selector switch between over the air TV and cable. I had the same type batwing antenna on my last trailer which worked excellent that had a selector switch. Parked in the same exact place, now I receive terrible reception. I haven't tried hooking up to cable yet. Anyone know if there is a hidden selector switch or have any suggestions to improve both over the air and cable reception. I would imagine without a selector switch the signals would interfere with each other.
Thanks in advance.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/17 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So does this 1990 RV have a newer TV? Unless it has a digital tv you won't get squat. Have you checked where the tv is connected to for the power button?

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/17 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a booster switch for the antenna? Usually near the cable connector around the TV somewhere.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/17 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what the modern day BATWING antenna looks like. It has the dipoles on the front of it that points to the local town for Digital HDTV signals...

[image]
Google image

This is the control panel for the BATWING antenna. Does not use a TV selector switch like the old ones did...

[image]
Google image

Point the antenna towards the local town that has Over-The-Air HDTV signals...

Follow the instructions on the above pictorial...

Don't forget to go to the Digital TV main menu and scan for digital TV signals first... You have to be using the newer HDTV digital TV sets now... Mine is one of the VIZIO Flat screen TV's from WALMART...

When using the OTA BATWING antenna the PUSH BUTTON on the ANT PANEL has to be ON...

Should work like gang busters...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/17 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support

ZaBigD

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/17 01:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for helping. I will try replacing the old batwing with the newer type (top only) along with the exterior coaxial cable. Anything beyond that is above my pay grade! I still can't find a booster (Button) anywhere, nothing is around the power source, antenna feed or elsewhere. TV's are digital also. The diagram is helpful and Thanks again.

* This post was last edited 06/14/17 02:16am by ZaBigD *   View edit history

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/17 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is an older RV odds are the coax (roof top to antenna) is aging, also the connection at/in the roof may need renewal (mine did a couple years ago).

THe switch is somewhere,, but other than the drawings above, I can't help you find it.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/17 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZaBigD wrote:

Thanks everyone for helping. I will try replacing the old batwing with the newer type (top only) along with the exterior coaxial cable. Anything beyond that is above my pay grade! I still can't find a booster (Button) anywhere, nothing is around the power source, antenna feed or elsewhere. TV's are digital also. The diagram is helpful and Thanks again.

You cannot run a coax directly from the antenna to the TV. You need that power supply between in order to get 12V power to the head of the antenna. Do you have a switch box with a bunch of buttons such as ANT, Cable, AUX, etc? If so, the power supply may come from there. Otherwise you will want to look for a wall plate with a tiny button or slide and a light that comes on and off or look in a cabinet up front for a silver box with 2 12V wires and usually a toggle type switch nearby to turn power on and off. Can you trace a coax from the back of a TV backward to see if it comes from some kind of a power source? You might have to try from both TV's as the power supply only needs to be on one line ahead of a splitter.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/17 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't need to replace the whole antenna just buy the little piece that comes out from the side called the wingman. Easy to add to the original antenna.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 129,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can't find a coaxial selector switch in my RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS