Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tolls while traveling across the US
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tolls while traveling across the US

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ThomasandMaliaVirant

Plymouth, Wis.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/17 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, we will be traveling across the US to Maine from Wi. next year and going through quite a few states. We are unsure how to address the tolls we will encounter. Please advise what is the best way to pay along the way. Thank you! ( our first big trip! ) Malia and Tom Virant

Lwiddis

USFS Lower Lee Vining...cooler here

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/17 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cash, credit card...seriously come out to the West where tolls are very rare.

2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/17 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avoid the toll roads!

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/17 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get an EZ Pass. It will cover most of the states you will pass through. It doesn't matter which state you get it from. (Mine is issued by Virginia.) Saves having to stop to pay a toll, and you get a discount. I suggest a telephone call to speak to an agent in order to get the right pass for your RV.

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/17 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

Get an EZ Pass. It will cover most of the states you will pass through. It doesn't matter which state you get it from. (Mine is issued by Virginia.) Saves having to stop to pay a toll, and you get a discount. I suggest a telephone call to speak to an agent in order to get the right pass for your RV.

good answer

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/17 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/17 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=RoyF]Get an EZ Pass. It will cover most of the states you will pass through. It doesn't matter which state you get it from. (Mine is issued by Virginia.) Saves having to stop to pay a toll, and you get a discount. I suggest a telephone call to speak to an agent in order to get the right pass for your RV.[/quite]
You could have a choice between EZ Pass and an I Pass from Illinois. We picked the I Pass, because it was a better deal. Can't remember what the deciding factor was. The I Pass is good anywhere the EZ Pass is. Check them both out. You'll get discounted tolls when you use a pass as opposed to no pass.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/17 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The NYS issued E-ZPass has no monthly fees with an automatic replenishment account. If you drive the NY Thruway fairly often, they offer a "Motorhome Plan" for E-ZPass holders where you're charged the same per axles rates as a car instead of the "tall vehicle" rates that large trucks and buses pay.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/17 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

The NYS issued E-ZPass has no monthly fees with an automatic replenishment account. If you drive the NY Thruway fairly often, they offer a "Motorhome Plan" for E-ZPass holders where you're charged the same per axles rates as a car instead of the "tall vehicle" rates that large trucks and buses pay.

This IMHO is about the best deal for an EZ-Pass if you take the Thruway even once or twice in a motorhome. It means a savings of about half the toll, which means the initial setup has more than paid for itself the first time you go across the state.

Many of the toll roads will take cash or credit cards, or will bill by mail based on license plates, but those are generally more expensive options than EZ-Pass (or I-Pass, Illinois's name for their EZ-Pass system). Some roads do have limitations on when or where or what vehicles cash etc. can be used.

Steve B.

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/17 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your question reminded me that I still don't have a clear answer on whether I need a different transponder when I am towing my camper or not. NYS website doesn't really say. RI website says you don't. I also have a new vehicle and cannot put the transponder where they want it. So, I will be calling the 800 number and try to get a human being to answer those 2 questions. While researching, I discovered that Massachusetts has done away with their toll booths and only have ezpass readers overhead now. If you do not have a pass, you will get a bill in the mail, at substantially higher rates than if you have a pass. I'm glad I discovered this as I'm heading to Maine in August and I usually just leave my pass at home and pay cash. Looks like you'll have to check each state before you go on your trip and see what system they use, if any.

2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tolls while traveling across the US
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS