Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3120  
Prev  |  Next
dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So glad you got to the hospital and got help in time!! Take the time to let your body heal and adjust.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good report from electrocardiogram. The test says I am doing great. No problems at all. No recommendations from the doctor. So I guess I just keep on doing whatever it os I have been doing. The polymyalgia is back and I am on the prednisone again. I go to see the doctor for that January 22. This morning I feel great. No pain, just the effects of the prednisone. I slept great last night. I was up only twice to pee, That's a record for me. Tuesday night I must have been up 5-6 times, I lost count but yesterday morning I felt very tired when I work up. Okay I need to get moving so I will close for ow wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fir babies a hug fro me and be sure to tell someone you love them. OH BTW, it's warm outside this morning, but the weather man says winter will be coming our way this weekend,

2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. It's the start of another day. I hope all is well with everyone. I have fire wood that won't burn no matter what I do. I guess it's too green. Anyway I have given up on trying to burn it so I guess we are done for the winter with the fireplace.

Yesterday our neighbor found Dixie's collar in the open field where Dixie lost it several months back. It's too big for her so I guess I need to take up some links so it fits better. Our weather forecast is for winter weather to come in over the weekend. No snow or ice, just colder temperatures. more like winter than the warm temperatures we have been having.

There kitties are still here. I brought in some cat houses for them and a heating pad. They seem to enjoy the heating pad a lot. I'm not sure of the houses as they sleep on top of them more than they go inside of them. I am feeling okay this morning. I don't know if I should take myself off the prednisone or wait until the doctor tells me to get off of them. I am pain free and am doing okay getting around, just worry about the side effects of the stuff. I am gaining weight and feel tired all the time which I think is a side effect of prednisone. I want to get the camper out, but just don't feel like messing with it. Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear that medicine is helping you. I knew you would take care of those Cats, you are so kind.

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. It is cold here this morning. The high today is supposed to be 43 degrees. It is 39 right now. This thread has been going for a long time now. WE have lost a few we started out with, but we still have a few that have stuck with us for over fourteen years. Thanks you for being great friends over the years and to those who we have met in person and continue to fellowship with, thanks for the memories,

I guess at some point this thread will end. And Old Fella will become a memory of days gone by. What a blessed day when Sue and I came across that old black dog at Modoc campground. Who would have thought he would have become such a giant in the rescue effort of stray dogs. The trip to New Mexico for the Good Sam Rally in 2009 will always be a high point in my life. Meeting Sue Bray and the other folks of the Good Same Club was really a treat. Being named the RV'er of the year was another high point of my life that will always bring joy to my life. I remember those who followed us to the rally and enjoyed the award ceremony. I look at the pictures and remember how great it was to be apart of such a group. Gary Shapiro had a great time with his fur babies. Gosh it's hard to realize Gary is gone. What a great character he was. You go through life and you meet a lot of people, but you have very few very good friends. Gary was a very good friend.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a ug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. Remember I pray for each and everyone of you each morning . So may you have a wonderful God blessed day. And if God is willing I will speak with you tomorrow morning.

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard, your latest post brought back some great memories of when this all started, so I went back to the beginning and read the first 50 pages. It is truly how unbelievable this story is based on that day you made contact with an old stray. Who would have thought what came about from your contact with Old Fella.

For me personally it made me more aware of loose dogs and if they needed a helping hand. One particular instance was in Yuma over 10 years ago when me and a friend from B.C. Canada were walking our dogs along the canal in Yuma by our Campground. We spotted a Yellow Lab digging into the side of the canal. We took our dogs back to the Camp and with some leashes in hand returned to see the dog. We walked right up to her and could see she was pregnant. We figured she was trying to dig her a safe place to birth her pups. We were able to put a leash on her and she was really friendly and started walking with us back to the Campground. The manager sent her Maintenance guy down with the Golf Cart and this sweet girl jumped right up in it like she knew what it was. She was placed in the Maint. Shed and me and Nat along with our wives were talking with the manager and her husband about the dog. The manager sent her husband to the shed to get the dog. A bed was made for her in their Mobile home in a bedroom and all six of us spent the night talking and watching her give birth to six puppies. Three of them died and the other three, 2 males and 1 female made it. The Manager kept the 2 males and the mother until she was able to find the 3 of them a good home together and with a pool. The female was named Molly and our friends from Canada adopted her. I was dubbed as Uncle Joe. When ever we meet up over the years Molly remembers me and comes running and howling to me. I just saw her in early Dec when we met up in Quartzsite, AZ and she still runs to me all happy.

I contribute the saving of that Mother and her Pups to this thread about Old Fella. I've always loved animals but never really considered thinking about their welfare when I would see them loose.

For that I would like to Thank You, Richard, for making me more attentive to loose dogs.

I still believe this Old Fella story would make a fantastic book and Movie. Right up there with Old Yeller.

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lost Gary one year ago today.[emoticon]

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 6 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our way across the south, we stopped in Foley, Alabama, one of our favorite spots. Last night we met up with Doug and Sandy, Walter and Garland, and Dr. Doug's furkids! Had a great visit and a great dinner! It was fun and even though it had rained all day, we got to visit for a couple hours and got some doggie fix for me! Thanks everyone! We really enjoyed ourselves. It's great to drive across country and hook up with friends. Seems like we've known each other forever.

Enjoy the rest of your of winter and hopefully we'll hook up again someday!

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Patty started following this thread many years ago. But our very first rally was in 2013 in Branson. But it seams like we have known everyone for a lifetime.

Yesterday a was crazy day weather wise in Ohio. We awoke to several inches of snow on the ground. Then we started to get sleet then freezing rain. But afternoon it was in the mid 40's with a slight rain. By evening it was back in the 20's with more snow on the ground this morning. Today
I guess it will not get out of the 20's. The next few days will be cold but by mid week we will warm back up into the 40's.
So far this winter has been very mild. Not a whole lot of cold days in a row and not a whole lot of snow.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, a very nice dinner and evening at the Turmail household last night. Safe travels to Dale & Terry today.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3120  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.