Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3120  
Prev  |  Next
Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. It's cold here in the Deep South this morning. Frost on the ground and a high of only 47 degrees. Fire in the fire place all day today. Love the fire place. It's a good morning so far. I woke up without pain. Ate an oatmeal breakfast with orange juice and coffee and now sitting in front of the computer. Sue just got back with the girls from their walk. The cats are cuddled up in their warm sleeping pad with the heat on. They love the heat pad. Can't say I blame them. THe feral kitten is getting used to us being around and doesn't run when we come out the door. I guess he or she has associated us with food and water.

Okay I am going to close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. Pray for those who are ill and lift up those who need to be encouraged.

2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOTLDaddy wrote:

We lost Gary one year ago today.[emoticon]
What a nice guy. Gary is missed and I hope there was a glad reunion with he and his fur babies at Rainbow bridge. Such a great compassionate friend he was.

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

Richard, your latest post brought back some great memories of when this all started, so I went back to the beginning and read the first 50 pages. It is truly how unbelievable this story is based on that day you made contact with an old stray. Who would have thought what came about from your contact with Old Fella.

For me personally it made me more aware of loose dogs and if they needed a helping hand. One particular instance was in Yuma over 10 years ago when me and a friend from B.C. Canada were walking our dogs along the canal in Yuma by our Campground. We spotted a Yellow Lab digging into the side of the canal. We took our dogs back to the Camp and with some leashes in hand returned to see the dog. We walked right up to her and could see she was pregnant. We figured she was trying to dig her a safe place to birth her pups. We were able to put a leash on her and she was really friendly and started walking with us back to the Campground. The manager sent her Maintenance guy down with the Golf Cart and this sweet girl jumped right up in it like she knew what it was. She was placed in the Maint. Shed and me and Nat along with our wives were talking with the manager and her husband about the dog. The manager sent her husband to the shed to get the dog. A bed was made for her in their Mobile home in a bedroom and all six of us spent the night talking and watching her give birth to six puppies. Three of them died and the other three, 2 males and 1 female made it. The Manager kept the 2 males and the mother until she was able to find the 3 of them a good home together and with a pool. The female was named Molly and our friends from Canada adopted her. I was dubbed as Uncle Joe. When ever we meet up over the years Molly remembers me and comes running and howling to me. I just saw her in early Dec when we met up in Quartzsite, AZ and she still runs to me all happy.

I contribute the saving of that Mother and her Pups to this thread about Old Fella. I've always loved animals but never really considered thinking about their welfare when I would see them loose.

For that I would like to Thank You, Richard, for making me more attentive to loose dogs.

I still believe this Old Fella story would make a fantastic book and Movie. Right up there with Old Yeller.

Thanks Sgt. Joe for the words of encouragement. So much has come from Old Fella's rescue. I long for the days to go back and relive them just to see the expression on his face when he realized he had a forever home. He was so happy and soaked up every minute of it. What a great experience. He was so loving and grateful to have a family. He enjoyed the trips we took him on. He never seem to be fretful of being on the road away from his home as long as he was near us. He never let us out of his sight, always aware of his surroundings and where his family was. He liked people after he realized he wasn't goingp be hurt. He adjusted very well to his new life. He lost the fear od people after he had been with us for a while. It was amazing how he became so trusting after all those years of abuse at the campground. The picture Sue took of he and I. with him looking up at me is an image of pure love and trust. I believe it was at that moment he realized just how much he was loved and just how much he had come to love me. It is a picture I will always hold dear.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOTLDaddy wrote:

We lost Gary one year ago today.[emoticon]
Still remember the first OF rally in Branson where I met Gary and Gary changed his handle to Dash on the dash.

A lot of water under the bridge since then. Gary loved his Greyhounds and GSD

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Morning FOOFs

I have had a very bad week. I woke up Monday morning at 4am and felt like I had been run over by a truck. Had a fever of 103 and severe body aches. I couldn't stay out of the bathroom. Today is the first day I didn't have a fever so I went back to work but I still feel terrible. I haven't eaten much for 3 days as everything goes right through me.

To make matters worse, Murphy's coughing has gotten much worse. She has a condition where her trachea is shrinking. The vet gave her some steroid pills when she was first diagnosed and they helped her. After two weeks of pills, she gradually started coughing more and more. She was really bad last week and Donna took her back to the vet. He gave her more steroid pills and some pills for her to take a nighttime. It seems that now she is much worse. This morning, she was having trouble breathing and was wheezing. It sounded like she was having a asthma attach. I am not able to miss anymore work as I have missed 3 days this week do to illness and Donna has a big client meeting at work today so neither of us can take Murphy to the vet. I called my mom and she is able to take her at 11:30 this morning. I am afraid I am losing Murphy. Other than the throat issue, she is in good shape for 16 years old. The vet says her lungs, heart and blood work are all in excellent shape. She just has trouble breathing.

Please pray for Murphy.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. The rheumatologist yesterday wasn't much help. He told me what I already knew. He did give me more prednisone which is a big help for masking the pain. He told me sometimes this goes on for years before it goes away. Meanwhile take prednisone and be thankful that I am able to get it.

He were supposed to get lots of rain this morning, but so far nothing. It's going to be cold all day and rain tonight. I brought up firewood from the back yard and stored it in the garage to keep it dry. I found a way to keep it burning so we do have fire in the fireplace. The wood is not seasoned and is hard to burn. BUt by stacking it and starting the fire beneath, that is under the grate it and keep the fire going it finally catches and burns all day. It's a slow burn, not giving off much heat, but it is better than nothing.

Lately I have been getting a lot of bogus phone calls from scammers. The best one was yesterday when I got this call that one of my credit cards had been compromised. He needed the information form my cards to determine which one had been used in a fraudulent charge to HD.com. Hello! Am I stupid. Give him the information on all my cards so he can have a great pay day. I wonder if anyone falls for this?

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

* This post was edited 01/24/20 07:30am by Dixie Flyer *

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. It's raining and cold here in the Deep South. The weather forecast is for rain all day and tonight with snow in the higher elevations. That means no snow for us. The prednisone is working. I am pain free, just suffering the side effects of the meds. I would like to take the camper out for two or three days. maybe we will be able to squeeze it in just as soon as I finish with the doctors.

I finally figured out how to burn the green wood. Just pile it high and put the starter logs under it and it will build a hot box inside the pile and if I keep the wood on top as it burns off the wood on the bottom will burn.

Dixie is such a hoot. She wants to play in the morning with her toy bird. She gets it and runs to me as if she wants me to take it and throw it. As soon as I reach for it she runs with it and plays keep away. If I am ever able to get it and throw it she will chase it and fetch it back to me only to play keep away. After a while she will get tried and lay down with it, but ever on guard to make sure no one gets it from her.

I was looking at pictures of Old Fella the other day. He was such a great dog. It was amazing how quickly he settled into the routine of the house. He was so trusting after he learned no one was going to hurt him. He loved his bed. in his golden years he spent a lot of time just lounging around on it. I won't never forget the weekend we lost him. WE went to Ava's Housse here in Greenville. We had to carry him up the stairs to the bedroom where we were sleeping. We made a sling out of a bed sheet. He allowed us to carry him in the sheet without struggling or showing any fear of what we were doing. When he saw his bed on the floor next to our bed he was excited to know he would be with us and not downstairs by himself. The next day started out peaceful. Sue left with Ava to go shopping. It was in the afternoon that I took Fella outside with me in the front yard. He took care of business and found a spot to lay down on his side. I sat on the grass next to him. He reached out with his left front paw to touch me. I reached over and petted him and the look in his yes were of love and peace. Little did I know this would ne our last time out together. We went back inside the house and Fella laid down. IT was then I noticed blood coming from his mouth. I wiped the blood and tried to see where it was coming from. I was not ale to see anything so I phoned Sue and told her to get home ASAP so we could take Fella to the emergency Vet clinic. When Sue got home we loaded Fella in the truck and took him to the vet. By the time we got there Fella was unable to walk or stand on his own. We put him on a stretcher and carried him inside and waited for the vet to maker her diagnoses. I knew Fella had bone cancer but didn't realize it had spread so far so quickly. When the vet came to us she was shaking her head and then we knew it was bad news. Fella was put to sleep with our hands on him and with tears in our eyes. Our life with Fella had come to an end and all too soon. Just three and one half years since his rescue he crossed the bridge.

The experience of Old Fella was a magical story. In all of my years I have never experienced such a story that has had so much of an impact on the lives of people. Just think of all the lives that have been saved because of him and the rescue effort he inspired. This thread helps keep his memory alive and the rescue effort on going.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

* This post was edited 01/24/20 08:15am by Dixie Flyer *

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garland and I feel privileged to have been a part of the Old Fella group for all these many years. I can still remember the anticipation I felt for the first OFR, anxious to meet everybody and their dogs. I was so looking forward to bringing both Missy and Gretchen, but sadly Missy crossed over shortly before the rally. [emoticon] Gretchen, however, was still quite young, and was able to attend the first rally and many more afterwards. Of course, Gretchen is gone now and greatly missed. Over the years, this group has lost many FOOFs, be they people, canine or kitty. I think of them all, at one time or another.

This is a great group, and we will be here as long as the lights stay on.
[emoticon]

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 6 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. The weather here has not been that bad. WE have had periods of rain, some cold days, but for the lost part it has not been a bad winter. Today will be kind of nice with lots of sunshine and temps in the high 40's. No snow this year so far. Thinking about going to Savannah for a few days, just to get away from the house. There is a nice campground there named Creekfire RV resort. We've stayed there before. Maybe son Scott will be able to join us. Today is not a bad day for me. So far I feel pretty good. Yesterday I was told I should go to Duke university for a check up. This doctor said they are doing some great work on people with my condition.

We have really got a bunch of cats at our house now. a neighbor down the street brought us a kitten that needed a home. She has fit right in with the others, so friendly and sweet. Anyway we now have a at least five or six outside cats and one opossum. I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OMG, Richard I sure hope all those kitties are fixed, otherwise you may end up with a real herd. Good luck.

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3120  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.