Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 83  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/24/17 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW-gray wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I will continue this debate elsewhere.


I think they are confusing the numbers... the new trucks that have the 14k GVWR is for the TRUCK ONLY.. roughly 9k for the truck and 5k or so for payload.... The trailer AND truck weights are upwards of 24k-25k

I'm not confused about that. Never was confused about that. GVWR-GVW=Available payload. At no time should the GVWR be exceeded.

The truck and trailer combination is not supposed to exceed the gross combination weight rating (GCWR).


Start a topic about this so we are not taking away from basic posting of peoples weights.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

Moderator

Joined: 10/16/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/24/17 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Snip...

Start a topic about this so we are not taking away from basic posting of peoples weights.

Thank you! [emoticon]
Barney


2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2016 Ram Laramie 2500, 6.7L CTD, 4x4, SB


DLUCKIE

usa

New Member

Joined: 07/03/2017

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/04/17 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my truck is a 2016 ram 3500 dually. actual weight as loaded and full is 10000 lbs as weighed by the highway truck scales . The riverstone legacy 41.2 ft 5th wheel comes in at 17400 lbs ready for the road . max trailer weight is 18540 lbs . combo works great as I have towed over the apache summit (7600 ft high) with no problems . both rigs are great units and I highly recommend them both

cpt_majestic

California

New Member

Joined: 07/23/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/27/17 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read almost every page over the last week or so trying wrap my head around all these "real weights", I feel my head may explode.

I just got a 2017 6.7 F-250 with a
GVWR OF 10,000,
Rear GAWR of 6340
Front GAWR of 5600

getting a dually or a bigger truck is just not an option for me at this point so I have to deal with these numbers.

I have yet to officially weigh my truck, but the math I've done from other peoples similar GVWR and truck (3/4 ton), it looks like the Hitch weight would have to definitely be under 2000lbs, does that sound about right? Maybe 1800ish? I know I can't get an exact answer without weighing, but I just want to see what I can look at. Since this thread as been going on for years a lot of manufacturers seemed to have "lightened up" fifth wheels while still keeping some length.

For Example:
Some Cougars are in the 36-38 range while having a "list" hitch wait of under 2000 lbs.
Forest River make a lite series
Coachmen makes a lite series..


Secondly:
After reading this long thread, I have seen countless people above weight, I mean way above weight. I've seen people towing a loaded 43 foot fuzion with toys/water with a F250...I've seen people towing the big Montana's with a F250, just frightening now that I read this thread.

Thanks

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/27/17 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cpt_majestic wrote:

I've read almost every page over the last week or so trying wrap my head around all these "real weights", I feel my head may explode.

I just got a 2017 6.7 F-250 with a
GVWR OF 10,000,
Rear GAWR of 6340
Front GAWR of 5600

getting a dually or a bigger truck is just not an option for me at this point so I have to deal with these numbers.

I have yet to officially weigh my truck, but the math I've done from other peoples similar GVWR and truck (3/4 ton), it looks like the Hitch weight would have to definitely be under 2000lbs, does that sound about right? Maybe 1800ish? I know I can't get an exact answer without weighing, but I just want to see what I can look at. Since this thread as been going on for years a lot of manufacturers seemed to have "lightened up" fifth wheels while still keeping some length.

For Example:
Some Cougars are in the 36-38 range while having a "list" hitch wait of under 2000 lbs.
Forest River make a lite series
Coachmen makes a lite series..


Secondly:
After reading this long thread, I have seen countless people above weight, I mean way above weight. I've seen people towing a loaded 43 foot fuzion with toys/water with a F250...I've seen people towing the big Montana's with a F250, just frightening now that I read this thread.

Thanks


Within tire and axle ratings but over GVWR simply increase your tonnage.

cpt_majestic

California

New Member

Joined: 07/23/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/27/17 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

cpt_majestic wrote:

I've read almost every page over the last week or so trying wrap my head around all these "real weights", I feel my head may explode.

I just got a 2017 6.7 F-250 with a
GVWR OF 10,000,
Rear GAWR of 6340
Front GAWR of 5600

getting a dually or a bigger truck is just not an option for me at this point so I have to deal with these numbers.

I have yet to officially weigh my truck, but the math I've done from other peoples similar GVWR and truck (3/4 ton), it looks like the Hitch weight would have to definitely be under 2000lbs, does that sound about right? Maybe 1800ish? I know I can't get an exact answer without weighing, but I just want to see what I can look at. Since this thread as been going on for years a lot of manufacturers seemed to have "lightened up" fifth wheels while still keeping some length.

For Example:
Some Cougars are in the 36-38 range while having a "list" hitch wait of under 2000 lbs.
Forest River make a lite series
Coachmen makes a lite series..


Secondly:
After reading this long thread, I have seen countless people above weight, I mean way above weight. I've seen people towing a loaded 43 foot fuzion with toys/water with a F250...I've seen people towing the big Montana's with a F250, just frightening now that I read this thread.

Thanks


Within tire and axle ratings but over GVWR simply increase your tonnage.


I literally have know idea what you're talking about

Mike E.

Coquitlam, British Columbia

Senior Member

Joined: 01/08/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/15/17 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ran it over the scales on our way home from Oregon:

'14 Ram 3500 CC, CTD short box
'18 Reflection 29RS

Truck front axle: 5100lbs
Truck rear axle: 5400lbs
Trailer axles: 7850lbs

Total: 18,350lbs.

Trailer was fully loaded for camping, but empty tanks.
Truck had me, DW, and Bailey our 90lb Lab and full tank of fuel.

Truck alone:

Front axle: 4950lbs
Rear axle: 3250lbs

Trailer:

Pin: 2150lbs
Axles: 7850lbs

Trailer total: 10,000lbs.

* This post was last edited 12/16/17 07:40pm by Mike E. *   View edit history

Snowman9000

IL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/07/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/17/17 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW if anyone wants to search this thread, go to the url line on the first page and you'll see it looks like this

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20298675.cfm

Remove the .cfm at the end, and replace with /print/true.cfm

Hit enter and you will now have one long continuous page. Use your Ctrl-F or Cmd-F (find) function, and easily search the whole thread.


2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)


4x4ord

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/02/17 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front axle: 4750
Rear axle: 5900
Trailer axles: 11510
Total: 22160

Truck weight with trailer hooked up: 10650
Trailer parked for winter/no water
Trailer axles: 11510
Trailer pin: 2326
Trailer total: 13836

Empty 2017 F350 SRW short box
3/4 tank fuel B&W hitch installed. 210 lb driver.

Front axle: 4850
Rear axle: 3475
Total: 8325


2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Tdavid

SEPA

New Member

Joined: 12/04/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/17/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:


Start a topic about this so we are not taking away from basic posting of peoples weights.


Let me know where this new thread gets started, 'cause I'm terribly confused, too.

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab, DRW, 4x4 D/A, full tank of fuel, small passenger

Front axle on scale: 4,520lbs
Front axle GAWR: 4,800lbs
Rear axle on scale: 3,620lbs
Rear axle GAWR: 8,550lbs

Total truck on scale: 8,140lbs
Total truck GVWR: 11,400lbs

Max 5th wheel tow capacity, per manual: 16,100lbs, not to exceed 3,500lbs pin weight

GCWR not to be exceeded: 23,500lbs

So if GCWR is not supposed to exceed 23,500lbs, that would limit me to a 12,100lbs GVWR trailer, regardless how loaded the truck is (up to 11,400lbs)?

So where is 16,100lbs coming from?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 83  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS