Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Your Fuel/Oil comments - please post here
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Your Fuel/Oil comments - please post here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 103  
Prev  |  Next
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent a week in Portugal at a company furnished apartment, a week in Nice, also at a company apartment, and have (several times) spent time in London at company housing.

In all of those locations, I could walk to a shop to buy groceries and not worry about the walk or the groceries spoiling by the time I returned.

America (outside of certain large cities and then only certain parts) is just setup differently. We have to drive to go places.

I chose in 2005 to buy a Prius..people can yammer all they want but it has been very efficient (had to buy a car anyway) and is a great commuter (17 miles each way) and grocery-getter (usually about a 5-8 mile round trip).

I could, I guess, fire up the F350 for these trips, but I choose not to pay that price. I think we are going to see a long term high price trend on refined oil products.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oil is now up $5.08 to an all time record $134.06 ! And diesel has increased 3x as much as gas since last year.

[image]

China hit by diesel shortages as crude soars

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/08 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember a long time back someone saying, "Look people still need to drive, just cause cars and trucks are on the road does not mean they have adjusted, means they need to drive somewhere."

I have never forgotten that to this day.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 6 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

was_butnotnow

Fulltime: Emery, SD

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The current prices are casude by Eron type traders who are bidding on the price and want it ot go up even with good news. There is no reason that prices shoud go up this fast. Ya over years but not in one year. This is just pure greed... Just like the electric prices we saw in CA some years back. Our local oil dealers are even saying this is nuts and the real price of oil should now be a bout $50 - $60.

Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle Hitchitch.com
Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/08 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gone are the days when my pappy used to push his old, red lawnmower to the local gas station and say "Two dollars regular!"

Nope . . . his two bucks just wouldn't go too far these days . . . .
[emoticon]

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Robert Hirsch, an energy advisor, says CNBC morning show prediction was a citation of the 'Dean of Oil Analysts.'

“The prices that we’re paying at the pump today are, I think, going to be ‘the good old days,’ because others who watch this very closely forecast that we’re going to be hitting $12 and $15 per gallon,” Hirsch said. “And then, after that, when oil – world oil production goes into decline, we’re going to talk about rationing. In other words, not only are we going to be paying high prices and have considerable economic problems, but in addition to that, we’re not going to be able to get the fuel when we want it.”

'Squawk Box' Guest Warns of $12-15-a-Gallon Gas

JHarpJ

Lynnwood, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/08 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOTLDaddy said:
"Give me two dollars regular." He didn't know the phrase "Fill it up", but two dollars regular would just about do that anyhow."Yo

Yo Daddy - yes but two dollars was two hours pay back then. So now were are back to two hours pay to fill up an automobile. (Not to be confused with an extra large diesel tank.)

jimandjoan.blogspot.com

lwmuddy

So.carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/08 02:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw this documentary at Pier 39 in San Francisco years ago and was amazed even then how companies can join together and conspire to change or eliminate an entire industry just to further their own interests.

This information proves that conspiracies do exist here and those who poo poo their existence are just blind.

If it happened in 1949 then what about now. Blind trust is dangerous.

Never be afraid to think "Outside the Box".

lilhowlinwolf

MB/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/08 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

was_butnotnow wrote:

The current prices are casude by Eron type traders who are bidding on the price and want it ot go up even with good news. There is no reason that prices shoud go up this fast. Ya over years but not in one year. This is just pure greed... Just like the electric prices we saw in CA some years back. Our local oil dealers are even saying this is nuts and the real price of oil should now be a bout $50 - $60.

Previous to Enron were the day traders who gave up their jobs to speculate on stocks full time. Well - they're back and screwing up the commodities futures markets. When the trading floor disappeared and it went totally electronic, that's when the specs hit the floor running. Oil is worth $65/bbl and that's all - about half this morning's call.

Wolf
Home 56.16°N -96.9°W ~ Wall 12 man and Eureka 6 man Egyptian cotton tent ~ Winter S/V Porque No 7.25°N -80.8°W //Mitakuye oyasin!
Died Nov 2008

my3sons

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/08 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't buy the fear of running out of oil. To me, the recent run-up in oil prices is the best thing that has ever happened to this country. We now have a rush to small cars, even electric cars. I, for one, am rooting for the Chevy Volt to hit the market. I know that the battery is not yet perfected for the Volt, but I also saw yesterday that NEC and Nissan are investing in lithium batteries to make the plug-in hybrids a reality.

As the gas prices soar, folks in China and India will drop plans to buy cars. Hence, the demand from those countries must taper off, just like it will here in the US.

I was walking with my 7-year old son last night and told him that by the time he gets out of college at the age of 22, I bet that there will be few gas stations up and down the road. Instead, I bet there will be more electric plug-in stations OR battery trade-in stations.

We will never replace oil, but the high prices are forcing the American enterprise system to work overtime to produce electric vehicles. My regret is that our US government did not make alternative fuel vehicles a national commitment several years ago.

* This post was edited 05/22/08 08:42am by an administrator/moderator *

1 dog, 3 sons, 1 wife
Life is good

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 103  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Your Fuel/Oil comments - please post here
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.