Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 144  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WLToo decided we absolutely had to use the new microwave, so he pulled out a heavy duty extension cord and plugged it in. Works great, and boy, is it quiet. Don't even know it's running until it's done and starts singing.

Mom is visiting her brother in Florida. Called to tell us they just got a little breeze and light rain. Good. I don't think surviving a hurricane has ever been on her bucket list.

Nephew 1 is at Fort Rucker. It got some wind and rain, but he said it's not bad. Nephew 2 is sworn into the Air Force tomorrow, but doesn't go to basic training until after 1 January.

Spotacus is parked by my leg. He's just happy to be where he is.

We stopped at the RV dealer to pick up a free gallon of antifreeze. Checked on status and found out the mechanic has not yet finished checking out all the problems, contrary to the email we got a week ago. Sigh. Guess that trip to see the Marfa Lights isn't happening anytime soon. I'm really, really missing L'Andante now...

Well, I got very little sleep last night, and I keep dropping off while typing. So I'll just correct this last little bit and go to bed early. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny and Rudy, kitten brothers extraordinaire
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new mw in our mh is great. No problem.

Glad that Spotacus has forgiven you.[emoticon]

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/18 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we went from 90 degrees yesterday to 48 at 0600 this morning, which was the day's high. Windy, downright nippy out there -- we've just gone from summer to winter temps. Where did autumn sneak off to?

All the rivers to the west are rain swollen and may flood. I hope our river stays calm, with its several lakes still refilling after the drought. Day after tomorrow marks the 20th anniversary of a devastating flood in the county seat downriver. We have more rain in the forecast all week. We've received 1.54" today alone, so folks are a mite nervous in town.

Spotacus refuses to go outside and build more Mount Poopmores -- he doesn't like wet ground. But when he does his once a day poop, he puts his head inside the Litter Robot and poops on the floor. We're going to keep a close eye on him around this time of day, and when he goes into the laundry room, follow and shove his fanny inside the robot. What a strange cat he can be.

Meanwhile, the electrician came to change out the 220 outlet for a 110. When he looked into the panel, he got very worried. We wound up with a bigger panel. On the up side, we now know what's on which circuit and we're not going to burn up. On the down side, that blew the budget for the foreseeable future. But after eight years, we're finally looking at the last of all the stuff that made this place a "unique fixer-upper."

WLToo is designing a carport for Obi-Wander, to keep some of the Texas heat out. Not looking forward to digging the holes for the concrete pilings, considering this is mostly a limestone ledge. But once the pilings are in, the rest is fairly easy, especially since it's obviously no longer summer...

Sure is many beautiful shades of green around here, and the late summer/early autumn wildflowers are blooming in profusion. One is a perennial shrub by the south porch, a Texas lantana (lantana horrida). Think I'll trellis that one. We harvested some berries to plant in other locations, too. A huisache (Acacia smallii Isely) (pronounced we satch) tried to grow right next to the driveway, but the thorns would make a mess of any vehicle brushing against it (not to mention human skin), so WLToo mowed it down. Now, if we can get some to grow along the fence, they could stay.

Black-eyed peas are ready. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/18 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you two and Spot-man floated away? I hope not. I hear the rains are relentless there.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/18 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rains are not relentless here at the lake, just off and on. Upriver, however, they're having rat nasty flash flooding. As of today, the lake is five feet over full, so the Corps of Engineers started releasing yesterday, at a rate that will lower the lake but not flood anyone downriver.

Goggles Jr. showed up today at the south porch. He's a six-pointer clearly descended from the gorgeous buck who sired Leoghaire and other does. His rack is too small for him to be legally hunted -- not that it stops the poachers around here, who are hunting on lands not large enough for said hunting to be legal. But since he seems to like hanging around on our property and the property immediately to the south of us, where no one hunts, he might survive long enough to sire more beautiful whitetail. He's not particularly afraid of humans right now, but I don't know if that's because someone's feeding him or because it's the rut and the other head is in control...

[image]

A very small doe was with him, eating frantically. Her left rear leg is damaged and she can barely walk on it. Her ribs were showing. She was not even interested in looking at us, just eating, so I guess she's been down where she couldn't eat and now that she's up, she's making up for it.

So that was the nice stuff that happened. The bad news is that Spotacus is very, very sick. He's been lethargic the last few days. Today, he was so withdrawn from interacting with us that we took him to the vet. They just telephoned. Spotacus has an abdominal mass of some kind. He also has a mild bladder infection, but no stones, so they did a catheter to relieve his bladder. Lots of poop he hasn't been expressing, probably because of the mass and full bladder being in the way, so they're giving him an IV to re-hydrate him and move the poo. We'll pick him up this evening. Monday, he'll get a sonogram or ultrasound (I forget which) to figure out where that mass actually is -- the vet doesn't think it's attached to kidneys or bladder (kidney workup was normal). Once we know what we're dealing with, we'll take the route that's best for Spotacus' overall quality of life.

We normally have very, very long lived male cats, so for Spotacus to be this sick at only nine years old is freaking me out. The house feels wrong without him here. And it's awful hard to see the screen right now.

Later, ya'll.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sending healing prayers for Spotacus. Hopefully this is just a case of hairball constipation and he will be right as rain when they deal with it.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The mass is not in his colon, that much was very clear in the x-rays. The ultrasound should give more detail.

Meanwhile, he's home on pain meds. He managed to poop a couple of hard balls, but still has many more to clear out. Ate treats, drank water, and tried to push WLToo off the bed. He did purr for me this morning, drank more water, then went back to bed.

The sun came out today. Rather intense light, after all those days of clouds. I'd normally take advantage and be outside, but Spotacus doesn't want to go outside and I don't want to leave him alone. So WLToo is doing some construction in the garden and I'm doing a little of this and that inside.

Spotacus is moving around. I'll go be with him for now.

Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/18 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Stephany

Brier, WA (just north of Seattle)

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the vet prescribe any stool softeners? I have found George's Aloe Juice to work great for my constipated kitty when she was all stopped up. You can get it at the healthfood store. Be sure to get that brand. I gave her 1/4 tsp.

Hope Spotacus feels better soon! Praying for poop!

Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 almost grown kids, a bouncing baby beagle and a camping cat
2003 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/18 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scheduling mixup between the vet and the ultrasound folks. Ultrasound is now on Thursday. He’s been eating a little bit, drinking water, and eliminating. Purrs when we pet him, but mainly stays in bed — not sleeping all the time, but the bed is more comfortable for him.

He just came into the kitchen for a small bite, then got a drink and went back to bed. But he does purr again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 144  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS