Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 168  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a lovely, misty and sometimes rainy Monday here in the Hill Country. We sure do need this wet. The boys ran in and out of the house several times before deciding they really don't like wet on their ears. Czarny is on his perch at the top of the cat tree, and Rudy is under the bed covers. I expect them to stay there most of the day.

Leoghaire and her two fawns from last year and 2018 are about the only does who come regularly to our porch now. That's fine -- much cheaper to feed... Leoghaire has finally accepted that we will not feed corn anymore, and is eating the deer feed, but mostly she eats the fresh green growing stuff, while her fawns eat the feed. We'll back off the feeding as the meadow greens up.

WLToo needs to sharpen the blades on the riding mower, so he can do the annual meadow mow before the wildflowers get busy. Also, he needs to clear a section beside the garden and shed, so the deck builders will know where to stop with the staircase. Phase 2 of our deck build is about to get underway, involving an extension to the end of the north porch, stairs down to the garden, and a pergola over part of that new deck. Looking forward to finally having the entire deck finished.

Had lunch with Tall and Short Friend yesterday, and a last visit with her folks before they return to snowy Maine. TF was using a walker and his left leg is moving so much better. He said his left arm has a lot of pain in it, and the head therapist (has a PhD in physical therapy) told him it's the nerves healing. He still can't move the arm much, but his fingers are moving fairly well. Hope those nerves heal well so he can use the arm better.

We planted vegetables last week. This time, I got WLToo to not plant everything at once, as that is not how a continuous harvest works. This week, we'll plant the next row, and so on, so that we'll have enough to eat and to can/freeze without getting overwhelmed. Tomatoes will go in in another week or so. WLToo has completely revamped the garden yet again, and this time brought in more dirt, so I'm hopeful we'll have a nice spring garden.

Mom called, so I need to head down there and do something with her computer. It's usually just reminding her how the icons look different in Windows 10...

Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Randolph Scatt, tabby cat
Rudy, ginger cat, missing but not forgotten
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After that lovely rain, the sky's clear of schmutz. Just a few clouds and a slight bit of morning fog obscuring our lake view. that will clear off shortly. Czarny's bugging me about going outside again -- he and Rudy have already been in and out numerous times since I got up.

Rudy went to the vet yesterday. Turns out we may not have gotten the Advantage Multi fully onto his skin. It's supposed to protect him from fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and ear mites. Well, he had ear mites. He was very quiet through the entire trip to/from and at the vet -- terrified. They clipped his claws for us, as he's the most difficult cat for claw trimming we've ever had, then cleaned and treated his ears. When I got him home, I just opened the cage next to the pickup, and he disappeared for several hours under Obi-Wander (our Forza). When he showed up again, all was forgiven.

Stage 2 of our deck commences this afternoon, when they come to measure. WLToo got the swath mowed between shed/garden fence and where we think the deck stairs should end, so the builders can see how much mower space is required. I'm really looking forward to this part -- we've wanted an outdoor dining space since we moved here, and we're finally gonna have it -- with a view. Happy dance.

Hmmm: I wonder how that will affect the barn swallows. We've not seen any scouts yet. I do hope the construction does not put the scouts off and the birds go elsewhere. I do so love having those birds right here. I don't mind washing their poo off the porch; their song and ravenous appetite for bugs makes them invaluable to me.

We were planning on taking Mom to Amarillo for her 95th birthday, but with the COVID-19 being so vicious to folks over 60, my two medically trained siblings and I agreed to postpone that trip until August. The county where we grew up has a roundup in August that would be the perfect time for her to meet with her still living friends up there. It's scary enough that it hits older folks (like us) so hard, and Mom lives in an independent living place, where if one person gets it, it could be disastrous.

WLToo decided we should add a few items to our Zombie Apocalypse survival items, so we went to the store for vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, cat litter, cat food, and cat treats. We're good for more than a month of staying home, if necessary, cat supplies-wise. We humans can stay here longer...we've always had emergency supplies adequate for two people for six months -- it's that military preparedness so ingrained into our DNA -- and rural upbringing.

Rudy's up and also wants outside. Think I'll go enjoy the morning on the pool deck, in my shorts and flip flops. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to see you posting again, WL. We were missing the Felidae and Cervidae updates. Wish your mom happy birthday from the forum. 95 is quite a respectable age. Glad you postponed that trip to keep your mom healthy.

The deck sounds nice. I hope you get to use it frequently before the Texas heat hits. We like to keep a supply ready for at least 8 months of emergency situations. Plenty of SPAM and tp along with dog food. We also have water filters should they be necessary. Military preparedness trained us too. Keep us posted. You've been missed.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Morning, all. Czarny decided he needed more of the bed, so I got up right at 0700. I was too hot, anyway. Still not used to 0700 being dark.

Volunteered at the library last night, as usual. This time we spent more time cleaning volunteer and staff common use items than checking stuff in/out. Posted about it in the Pet stop Coronavirus thread. Ick.

No sign of Leoghaire and fawns the last few days. Not sure where they're hanging out right now.

The barn swallow scouts arrived yesterday!! When he finished measuring the deck, he asked when we wanted to get started. I said, "What are you doing this afternoon?" So they'll deliver the materials today, and start tomorrow. Hopefully, they'll be done before the barn swallow scouts make any decisions/recommendations, and certainly before the main body arrives to nest. I'd love to have more nests around the house, and the arbor would be a good location -- much better air flow than up under the porch.

Got to get moving -- medical appointment in the big city today. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's always great getting a good contractor willing to work. That and a reliable septic guy. And electric and plumbing guy. We're going to have to replace part of our deck. I started pulling up decking today. When the new planks are installed I'll put some of that protective coating on it from HD.

Our dog and cat have been trading spots on the bed. We end up pretzeled and sore by 2 am. Both have their own beds but they see us as the pack leaders so its imperative they sleep with us. According to them. [emoticon]

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a nice framework mostly in place. Gonna be a huge deck. They'll be back on Monday, so I can get some photos of work in progress, in between getting Tall and Short Friend's FW ready for Mom to live in.

Mom in the FW? Yup. She's very worried about living in a high density population of vulnerable folks (a lot more vulnerable than she is, and she's 95). Then she got a notice of the facility raising her rent in July. Then the facility decided to close the dining room -- they will deliver meals to each apartment. No activities, everyone stay away from each other, visitors go through screening -- it spooked her enough to decide living with one of her kids is not such a bad idea, after all.

Sister has a contract on her house and has to move out by 6 April, so she's both packing and looking for a new place, one big enough for Mom to move in with her. Meanwhile, all us kids decided to get Mom out of the city now, so Short Friend said move her into the FW. It's right here, not being used, and will hold Mom, her summer clothes, her computer and some of the genealogy records. We walked Mom through it today and she thought it would be a great adventure to live there until Sister has a new place. We'll give her facility the 30-day notice on 1 April or so, so we can move her out gradually (and hopefully Sister will move into a new place within that timeframe so we don't have to move Mom's furniture into storage). Semper Gumby...

When I took her back to start packing, I drove on an interstate and a major US highway. At 1930 hours on a Friday night, the traffic looked like Tuesday night at 2200. Creepy.

Anyway, Mom's deciding what to bring with her on Sunday. On Saturday, SF and I will clean the FW, while WLToo builds a ramp so Mom won't have to use the steps.

Right now, I'm sitting beside an open window with a pleasant breeze. Rudy's sitting on the sill, listening to some night critters and bugs. Czarny's asleep on top of the cat tree (his regular evening perch). It's so quiet out here -- I really love it here.

Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent all day cleaning the FW, while WLToo worked on a ramp. We won't be finished in time for Mom to move into the FW tomorrow, so she'll overnight with us across the driveway. Czarny has been frantic to go outside, but wasn't out five minutes before he was looking in the door, wanting us to come outside. Not gonna.

It's hot and humid, and SF wasn't there to show us how the air conditioner works. Now that she's arrived, I'll get my achy body out of this nice, comfy chair and have her show me. Sigh. I'm too old for this...

Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger that about feeling the age. Finished pulling up the decayed decking. Still working on putting in the new planks.

It's good that the FW can be useful for your mom. We use our mh as a tiny home for visiting family. I'm hearing about people buying up older TTs and fixing them up as tiny homes. Whatever works. Semper Gumby indeed.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were packing Mom yesterday, when Sister called and asked us to hurry over to see a couple houses she was considering buying. The first one was okay. The second one was much nicer, bigger, with a lovely yard to separate her from the neighbors, and mature trees. Mom liked it far better than the first one. So Sister put in an offer and it was accepted this morning. If all goes well, she'll move into the new place about a week before they actually close, renting it for that period, a few days before her old house closes and she has to be out. Then she won't have to pack and move anything into storage.

We'll move Mom's furniture and stuff directly from her old apartment after Sister moves in. Meanwhile, she's out here in the country. WLToo is still building a ramp into the FW, so she's in the house with us a couple more days.

We have half of a deck platform in place. The arbor wood will be delivered tomorrow. If the weather cooperates, we'll have a finished deck by the end of the week.

The virus panic has hit the lake. The library closed for two weeks, kinda sorta. Patrons can still reserve books, but can't come into the building. At arrival, a patron calls the library and they bring the book(s) outside and put them on a table. Then the patron approaches and gets the book(s). I think I'll just check out e-books and not have to go through that rigamarole. Grocery stores can't keep the strangest things stocked, which has nothing at all to do with avoiding a virus. At least we have plenty of drinking alcohol, which can be used for more than just imbibing.

The Alamo closes today until further notice.

Rudy is staring out the window at the new deck platform. He's not at all comfortable with yet another major change in his little kitty life. Czarny was exploring the post holes over the weekend, and now in running under the deck to see what he can see. Well, now Rudy's in his usual place beside me. Be interesting to watch him when the deck and stairs are finished. Talk about a change...

Made a Reuben casserole today for tomorrow. It's basically a Reuben sandwich without the bread. Mom and I had it for lunch and it was okay. Tomorrow will be better, though, in the way of all casseroles.

Ooo, the sun just came out! Must run outside and revel. Later, y'all.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Things are crazy in grocery stores here in Florida too. I really don't get the panic. Sure we're going to be reducing trips and isolating, but food is still going to be available. It's not like after a tornado or hurricane or earthquake or fire or ...

Many metro areas have grocery delivery and many of us have family or neighbors that can do our shopping so the geezer population can stay safe (me included).

Unneeded panic.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 168  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.