Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next
TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

Thanks TwistedGray! BTW your interior looks great now. And just what we want to do...brighten up the inside.
Thanks again. MtnBikeMarty

Brightens it up for sure, and it doesn't look like an RV anymore...score! It took a lot of hours though. It wasn't easy! Honestly I probably painted our house in the same amount of time it took in here, ha. Good luck; share photos.

I also tinted some of the lenses on those lights! The LEDs are super bright, too bright. I left some clear but otherwise amber'd the rest with multiple coats. It's still bright but it takes some of the blindingness away.

What model do you have?

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwistedGray wrote:

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

Thanks TwistedGray! BTW your interior looks great now. And just what we want to do...brighten up the inside.
Thanks again. MtnBikeMarty

Brightens it up for sure, and it doesn't look like an RV anymore...score! It took a lot of hours though. It wasn't easy! Honestly I probably painted our house in the same amount of time it took in here, ha. Good luck; share photos.

I also tinted some of the lenses on those lights! The LEDs are super bright, too bright. I left some clear but otherwise amber'd the rest with multiple coats. It's still bright but it takes some of the blindingness away.

What model do you have?

I have the 27G, it's a little shorter than the big 28A, but still has the walk-around queen bed, and one chair instead of the fold out couch of the 28A. Mine's a 2011, and I got in 2016, the last year CA offered the 27G. It's distinguishable by the rounded bunk over the cab. Here's a pic:
[image]
What scares me is, my wife is not the best painter, and how you describe how hard and time consuming it was... it's going to take her... us... me a long time. LOL

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found that our new RV was previously a rental from the accessory manual. It was built for the rental market for Apollo. Never thought I’d buy a rental since my knowledge of them was limited to Thor Magestics with 100000 miles! Apparently some companies sell them at about 35,000 miles and in fact the previous owners purchased it with over 34,500 miles. I was surprised at first that it had more than 50,000 because it’s only a 2018 but exactly what I had been looking for at the price I wanted to pay. And the engine is legendary.
I didn’t think I could beat the layout of our Itasca 22e. This rig has the same front layout but makes room for a double corner bed. It’s maybe the only model with both a couch and a dinette that is in the shorter range. It’s 26’2” long.
Of course I didn’t want a slide because we have not felt the lack in the last 12 years. We didn’t want the hassle. And I like to bring stuff!
But I have many mods on our current rv that I will be itching to add to the new one. A pressurized water system and house faucets and digital thermostat and extra 12 volt outlets. And simple things like cup holders were missing from this rv. My grandson noticed but I told him not to worry they were on their way!

[image]

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How to find the polarity on insulated wires?
Follow the wires to a light or switch and use a voltmeter touching the probes to the contacts. If this is awkward use a couple of straight pins to penetrate the insulation and contact the insulation and contact the copper. Then use the meter.

When Current is flowing a clampmeter can indicate the direction of current flow.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know how the Cruise America trickle charge solar panel is wired into the system? I have two 2015 Majestic 28a units. The one in question has the small 10w solar panel mounted on top of the roof AC unit. The wires appear to drop down somewhere over the kitchen/bathroom (I need to look closer...maybe they drop down right by the monitor panel that has the little green "solar" light bulb that lights up when it's sunny outside).

What I would like to know is WHERE does the Pos/Neg of the trickle charger actually tie into the 12v system? Underneath the RV there is a Post mounted on the backside of the factory battery box and it has all the 12v Positive cables joined (from battery, from alternator, to Electrical box, and one other thick cable that I can't yet figure out what it's to). There is also a bolt into the frame connecting several Negative wires. But I don't think the trickle charger is tying in underneath the RV. I think it is happening somewhere else. Does anyone know?

I had a bit of a confusing situation around dusk tonight. I disconnected the coach batteries (and chassis battery) because I wanted to clean off (sand) the Pos/Neg terminals underneath the RV to make sure they were getting a good connection (they were looking a little corroded). I had forgotten about the solar trickle. I got some minor sparks which wrenching and thought, "That can't be right!" So I put a volt meter on a few things and I was getting 5-6 volts. I thought, "What the heck?? How in the world could there be something at 5-6 volts....no battery is connected." Finally I remembered the trickle solar charger. Since it was dusk and the sun was going down, the panel was only generating 5-6 volts. I threw a towel over the panel to confirm (and then measured zero volts as expected).

It got me wondering...how exactly does this trickle charger work? I know that the simple ones don't even have a charge controller. What does a weak 5-6 volts coming from the solar panel do to the 12v coach battery?? I'm not sure. Maybe since it is so weak it doesn't matter?

My real plan is to put 400w of solar on top of this RV. I just got through putting up 500w on my other Majestic and so this 2nd RV should be much easier. So I think I will simply disable the existing trickle charger. That's why I'm trying to figure out WHERE it actually ties into the system.

My "brute force" solution will be to simply cut the wires on the rooftop going to the 10w trickle solar panel and then tape them off (so the wires aren't shorting). But I'd like to find a more elegant solution.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

* This post was edited 03/12/21 08:24pm by SJ-Chris *

San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our 2004 Ford E350 Canadian 20 foot class C former rental in 2008. It has been very reliable. In 2020, I found a local repair shop, owner a mechanic with a great reputation and got them to change the spark plugs, transmission fluid, etc, replace all shock absorbers, change gear oil in the rear end, and change coolant. Wonder of wonder there was no problem with the spark plugs and the owner mechanic knew it in advance. It cost $2500 all told.

We have one problem I would like help with. We had never used an RV when we bought the MH and knew nothing about the hot water heater. It got turned on while plugged in to electric power and the switch smoked and smelled. In the next 13 years we never had water in the heater. Looking into the tank it looks rusty.

I would like to upgrade to a new water heater.
Anyone know if it would be possible? Estimate of cost to have it done at an RV dealership?

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 welcome to the Former Rental Owners Club I will add you to the list of happy owners,you will be #137 here.

Interestingly enough you are the 3rd Apollo owner on this Forum and all of them did not know that they bought a Former Rental until after they got it home and looked thru the paperwork or pulled up a Carfax,my Carfax clearly states that it was a Rental.

Apollo has stopped its operations here in the US because of the pandemic,it is still going in its home country of Australia.

One of their locations is near where I live and before everything went upside down they always has 50 or more RVs on their lot,it is now empty so there must be a lot of them on the market here,I have seen some advertised but not as Former Rentals

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

What scares me is, my wife is not the best painter, and how you describe how hard and time consuming it was... it's going to take her... us... me a long time. LOL

Yeah, I can relate (sorry honey). I have half a mind to pull the cabinets and do another coat, but a) I have no remaining paint and b) I have no remaining interest. Lol, it looks fine, but it could look better.

With that said, there's paint where there should not be paint, and there is no paint where there should be paint. However, those are all in the nooks and crannies, so whatever.

Willy1

arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a Cruise America Majestic 23A in November. We've only taken one short maiden voyage but have been busy putting on vents, back up camera, awning, tv and fiddling with it. Our next project is a ladder on the back. Anyone do that yet? We've had a couple 'little' issues but nothing big. Oh, did duplicate the window Cruise America on theirs but with our dog.LOVE IT! If I figure out how to post it, I will.

* This post was last edited 03/19/21 08:19am by Willy1 *   View edit history

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Willy1,Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club, I will add you to the list of happy owners, you will be #138 [image]

It sounds like you have got a lot of great mods planned.As for the ladder I have a previous post on it. You can find it Here it may be of help to you.

Might I ask what year you 23A is? This information is also good to add to your signature and your profile,as mine is,it will help when asking questions.

Also did this on come with a window in the door? They were deleted around 2012.

A great help to add pictures to your posts is This Thread, it will walk you thru it and it is very easy.

Again welcome and come on back when you can and show us all those mods and anything you want to share with the other owners of Former Rental Owners or any questions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.