Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 106  
Prev  |  Next
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

andydallas,

Merry Christmas to you too,Congratulations on your new rig.

What a nice gift to yourself! I will put you on the list of happy Former Rental Owners you will be # 112 [image]

It sounds like the sales staff was not on the ball on that one. It is good advice you gave to others to be there a day early,some others here did the same.

Wow that sounds like a really great shake down cruise and it performed well for you,that is good to know.

After a few trips please come back and share how it is going.

Have a happy holiday season and a great camping season

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

GordSanClemente

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHEW!
Just finished reading 104+ pages of this thread.

I am planning on a purchase of an El Monte RV THOR ACE 30.4 Class A. We really like the layout for us (2 adults and a French Bulldog)
It is a listed as 2018, about 25k miles. There is a 6yr/60,000 warranty on the FORD drive train.

It was a RoadBear RV Rental, and apparently there is some connection between El Monte and Road Bear?

The unit is in Las Vegas, and I am in San Clemente CA (this is a 4+ hour drive).
The information here has been invaluable. Thank you!
I am thinking of having it inspected when I return to SoCal, and getting any warranty work done here before the 30 day coach warranty runs out.
I would have prefered to get it inspected in Las Vegas before I go, but I couldn't find any inspectors in Las Vegas that had any reviews.

Has anyone used an inspector in Las Vegas?

Ok... time for a Gin and Tonic, and start a deep dive here on RV.Net on the ACE 30.4

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordSanClemente,

WOW all 104+ pages you deserve that Gin and Tonic,[image]

I am glad it helped and Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club,you will be one of only a few that bought a Class A Former Rental, they all have been very happy with their choice [image]

To answer your question"It was a RoadBear RV Rental, and apparently there is some connection between El Monte and Road Bear?"

In 2017 THL (Tourism Holding Limited)of New Zealand bought both El Monte RV and Road Bear. It seems that they have instituted some of the same things that Road Bear had into the El Monte RV model.

Road Bear sold their units with low mileage and only 1 or 2 years old now I see El Monte RV is doing the same,which is a great thing,that way the buyer will have some of the factory warranty still left and a good price for a used RV.

When the sale is complete please come back and tell us how it went,if you got the service records,like all the El Monte RVs came with and anything else that would help out others that wold like to do this in the future.

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROOF QUESTIONS (primarily):

I'm considering purchasing a 2015 28a Majestic (Thor) from Cruise America. I have gone through much of this (and other) threads about purchasing a rental RV. I understand the pros and cons. I have owned RVs in the past am familiar with lots of RV issues.

My specific question is about the roof construction of these rental RVs. I can't seem to get an intelligent answer from the salespeople. Someone there mentioned that the roofs were custom build for Cruise America "because they never want them to leak". They mentioned something about them being "PVC" or something equivalent. Do any of you know how these roofs are generally constructed on their 2015 model? Is there plywood sheeting? Are the rafters/supports wood or metal or something else? Knowing this would be very helpful for me.

Sooo... I was inspecting one that I'm considering purchasing and one of the things I noticed is that there was a water leak coming from the front vent (over the cab) and also the one over the bathroom. Water was coming from under the vent flange (not through the screen as though the vent was left open during the rain). It was coming from under the vent moulding. This concerned me. My biggest worry is that if there has been some leaking, could it have possibly damaged some of the wood members in the ceiling?? Thankfully, I didn't see any signs of water damage BELOW those vents (like on the over-cab bunk, or on the bathroom floor, etc). I also didn't see any signs of wall or ceiling damage, sagging, etc. When I brought up this issue, they pulled the RV over to their service bay, had someone jump up on the roof (I joined them) and it looked like some of the caulking had some cracks in it. So they got out their Dicor and put on a bunch around all of the vents.

So I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about. The salesperson is talking as if it is no big deal. I would normally expect a salesman to say things like that (...just to continue the sale moving along). But I will say that I have up to this point felt very comfortable with the multiple salespeople I have worked with over there. I created a list of about 20 things that I would want fixed on the RV and for the most part they said, "No problem, we can do that for you." I also got them to agree that if it leaks anytime in the first year I can bring it back for them to seal again.

In general, I am very happy with the condition and price of the RV. And I'm very happy that they are going to fix so many of the issues I identified during a VERY thorough inspection. But I'm just noto sure if I should be worried about the fact that the roof was leaking around the vents.

Thoughts? Your opinions/feedback is much appreciated.

Chris

PS: I'm not interested in creating a lot of chatter about whether or not it's good or bad to purchase an RV rental. I'm primarily looking for any feedback/opinions about the roofs on these Majestics and/or your thoughts on whether I'm over-thinking a vent leak (...one which may now be fixed since they resealed it). Thanks!!

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris: Trust your instincts. Or get a professional inspector if you're still doubtful. It is impossible for third parties from a distance to give you advice on something such as this.

andydallas

Dallas TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just found out I paid $650 in extra taxes because I bought from Cruise America in AZ. They charged me a total of 8.3% sales tax, sales tax in Texas is 5.9%. I paid $650 extra!!!

I thought it was a mistake, but they insist it is correct. i like the MH, but dealing with Cruise America is a horrible experience, consider other options (or maybe a CA location other than Phoenix). If I had know that I would have bought the same unit for the same price in FL (same distance), and saved $700????

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ANDYDALLAS:
I'm amending my earlier post here to defer to official information IAMICHABOD is posting for your reference below.

* This post was edited 01/09/20 05:54pm by Hoerschel *

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at This from Arizona Tax Law For Non-residents it may be of help,

andydallas

Dallas TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a long talk with CA today, several people there. They handled the taxes in the proper way, the issue is I had is that I had no idea I was being charged city and county taxes. I could have bought a unit from AZ or FL (Dallas is exactly in between), I went to AZ, I would have saved about $650 if I had bought it in FL.

The city and county part of the taxes drove the tax rate charged to 8.3%, in TX I only pay 5.9%, so the difference is what I was upset about.

CA understood what I was saying, and I realized why they did what they did, I just wish I had understood the county/city taxes to be paid by buying in AZ

I told them I was happy with the MH itself, I just felt they needed to be clearer on taxes so I could have bought the identifcal unit in FL

i have paid a crazy amount of taxes in my life, most of us have, I hate having to pay any that I didn't have to by merely making the purchase at a different location

I would buy from CA again, the 28A itself is great

ViperScho

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, all, another member to the post. I picked up my Cruise America 2015 Majestic 28A last month in Mesa, AZ. Had a great experience and would not hesitate to recommend them. Oddly enough, apparently andydallas and I were in the office on the same day picking up our units, and we had some similar experiences with confusion in finding and prepping our units. Won’t bury you guys with info on the experience: I am a writer professionally, and tend to never use one word where five will fit. Thanks for creating and updating this thread...would have been nice to find BEFORE we bought our unit!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 106  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.