Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 106  
Prev
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ViperScho.
Welcome to the Forum and to the Former Rental Owners Club I will add you to the list of Happy Former Rental Owners, You will be #113.[image]

It is very interesting that you and andydallas were there at the same time,what a coincidence.

As a professional writer maybe you can come back later after a few trips and use all those words that you talked about and tell us about your experiences good or bad,it is always helpful to others.It is to bad you didn't see this thread before you bought your unit but it seems that you knew what you wanted and are pleased with your choice.

Good Luck and have a great Camping season,I am leaving today for a week long trip. Nice thing about being here in So Cal is that camping season is year round.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

caltraveller

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, great thread. Thanks for all that contribute. I will be retiring soon and thinking of getting a RV and have been mainly looking at Sprinter based platforms. However, recently saw a craigslist ad on a CA unit that had a great price and further research led me to this forum. Went to a RV show this weekend and now convinced a small Class C is what I want, so the Majestic 23A might be a possibility. I sat but did not drive any of the RV. The E350 seem to have a high dashboard. I am 5' 1" and not sure how comfortable this would be to drive in for long distances. Any comments from the vertically challenged drivers out there? Of course, I will eventually need to do a test drive for my own comfort but looking for advice from people who already have longer experience than a brief test drive would bring.

Rex60baker

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently bought a used Class C 2019 Coachman 220QB from RV dealer they obtained from Road Bear RV. 22k miles and like new. The overhead cab window has the Road Bear name on it and trying to remove. The window is plexiglass so I can't use chemicals or heat. It doesn't seem to be a decal and can't feel it raised like painted letters. Using light polishing compounds but not very successful. Any ideas out there?
Thanks in advance! Great forum!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rex60baker
Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club I will add you to the list,you will be #114.

I have not heard of a plexiglass window in a overhead,I really don't think it would be legal. I would check inside to make sure that it is plexiglass,maybe try to scratch it in a corner to be sure.

My thought is that it is a clear plastic overlay with the Road Bear logo in it applied to the window. I would try a bit of heat at one corner and see if it would lift up. I have seen their logo on the top edge of the windshield which were clear overlays, but never on the cabover window.

Please check back in with any results you have with what ever method you find successful.

Enjoy your new RV.

Rex60baker

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the cabover window is Lexan. The original Roadbear graphic was removed but the image is kind of burned into the substrate, maybe from the sun. Can't feel any adhesive. I used some WD40 and it seemed to help. Barely readable now.Just don't want to advertise for RoadBear without compensation[emoticon].

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rex60baker wrote:

I think the cabover window is Lexan. The original Roadbear graphic was removed but the image is kind of burned into the substrate, maybe from the sun. Can't feel any adhesive. I used some WD40 and it seemed to help. Barely readable now.Just don't want to advertise for RoadBear without compensation[emoticon].

That is good to know,I wouldn't like to advertise for them either. A member covered the ghosting of the rental company left behind with a decal,As they did with mine
you might be able to get a Coachman decal that would fit the window.

I have thought about putting one of those see thru decals like they have on the rear windows of pickup trucks on my overcab window.

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update on my December 2019 purchase of a CA 30' Majestic. The wife and I have taken it out three weekends since and are enjoying it, even though it's winter and we won't de-winterize until May (or whenever the last freeze occurs here in Colorado; who knows, it may be June or July!) We're taking along a 10 gallon bottle of water for washing dishes and flushing the toilet, then refilling the traps at the end of each trip with RV antifreeze. Had the unit's oil, transmission fluid and generator fully serviced as CA obviously timed the sale to avoid that big ticket expense. But, hey, I got a $2k discount for buying in December so I'm not complaining. The RV service center gave it a thorough inspection and was impressed with the overall condition. My only question right now has to do with the necessity of keeping Tow/Haul mode constantly engaged. CA put a sticker on the gear shift that urged keeping it in this mode for better fuel economy. But I find that the gears are not shifting smoothly and race the engine to 4,000 RPMs plus before finally changing. That can't be good, especially when just starting out and the engine / transmission fluid are cold. Today, I finally disengaged the feature and it runs so much more smoothly...and much lower rpms. Appreciate any wisdom shared here.

zachcycles

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoerschel wrote:

Update... My only question right now has to do with the necessity of keeping Tow/Haul mode constantly engaged. CA put a sticker on the gear shift that urged keeping it in this mode for better fuel economy. But I find that the gears are not shifting smoothly and race the engine to 4,000 RPMs plus before finally changing. That can't be good, especially when just starting out and the engine / transmission fluid are cold. Today, I finally disengaged the feature and it runs so much more smoothly...and much lower rpms. Appreciate any wisdom shared here.

Lotsa opinions on this one... I run with it on especially when in the many hills and mountains I travel here in NorCal. Sometimes leave it off in the flat valley areas... but normally on. The Ford V10 is a screamer and high revs are not a problem beyond your ears :-) The switch just changes shift points for max power sooner (climbing) and engine compression braking sooner (downhill). Comfort is sacrificed for better performance... if you think about it compared to an empty van you are always towing/hauling all that RV mounted on the frame. Keep reading on it, do what feels good but I will tell you that you should ABSOLUTELY have it on for extended downhill runs... overheated brakes are a bummer.

Whether out in the motor home or just sittin n sippin a fine whiskey, my mind wanders these daze. I'm ok with this...

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zachcycles wrote:

The Ford V10 is a screamer and high revs are not a problem beyond your ears :-) The switch just changes shift points for max power sooner (climbing) and engine compression braking sooner (downhill). Comfort is sacrificed for better performance... if you think about it compared to an empty van you are always towing/hauling all that RV mounted on the frame. Keep reading on it, do what feels good but I will tell you that you should ABSOLUTELY have it on for extended downhill runs... overheated brakes are a bummer.

ZACHCYCLES: Thanks for contributing to my education. Your points are well taken.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 106  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.