Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 127  
Prev  |  Next
Germax

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks that I will have to use axle.
Manual suggests that and frame goes up and over in that area.
It is high and even if jacked against the frame I think the wheels would sag on the springs.
I got 8 Ton jack https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/8-ton-hydraulic-welded-bottle-jack/A-p8760886e
9 inch minimum height, I hope those tires do not go three inched down. Maybe I need shorter jack?

[image]
[image]

[image]

fadumpt wrote:

Be careful pulling the sticker, on mine it was going to take both of them off. There was a barcode sticker on the underneath though, so you might have that.

For the jack, there should be flat frame railing going from front to back. You should not have to use the axle.
[image]
[image]

* This post was edited 08/08/20 04:12am by an administrator/moderator *

Germax

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately the original sticker is non descriptive.

I see that hitch is mounted with 6 bolts and there is a frame extension.
I am not sure how that compares with proper hitch and what is reasonable load...

Fair bit of rust too but I imagine that is to be expected...

[image]

[image]

[image]

fadumpt wrote:

Be careful pulling the sticker, on mine it was going to take both of them off. There was a barcode sticker on the underneath though, so you might have that.

For the jack, there should be flat frame railing going from front to back. You should not have to use the axle.
[image]
[image]

* This post was edited 08/08/20 04:13am by an administrator/moderator *

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With no sticker information and putnam hitch products being closed down (from what I can see) it's probably best to just replace it. All you have to go on with this one is the cruise "liability sticker" and assumptions.

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the final hitch specs are more determined by the lesser of the frame extension and the hitch rating. I’m guessing the final hitch rating was derated by the frame extension. I would have a hitch fabricator give you an opinion.

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strange sticker on my 28A. Forgot to mention this earlier but the gear select has a 'better fuel economy in tow/haul mode' sticker on it. When I questioned this the sales guy said it uses less gas in that mode - that's why it auto-selects. Why would it use less gas by using more revs? I'm confused.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldel wrote:

Strange sticker on my 28A. Forgot to mention this earlier but the gear select has a 'better fuel economy in tow/haul mode' sticker on it. When I questioned this the sales guy said it uses less gas in that mode - that's why it auto-selects. Why would it use less gas by using more revs? I'm confused.

This discussion on the Tow/Haul mode may help you out. [emoticon]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure it helped per-se - but it did illuminate my confusion :-)

I think I'll just add it to the 'test this when time/space/attitude available' list and move on with life.

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my limited experience with, and reading the post on it, my conclusion is that it is great to have on when there is a up/down grade or when towing.
In mostly flat highway and the like, having it off seems to let it get better mileage because of more efficient shifting. I will keep an eye on trans temp now though... Overdrive usage could be heating the trans like others have reported.

texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my take on tow/haul. In the 23A when we are just taking bicycles and not pulling a tow dolly, I do not use tow/haul. I set the cruise about 67 and sit back and relax on the highway. We just got back from Hot Springs, AR and pulled a car. The whole trip with the car and dolly, I was in tow/haul.

2016 Thor Majestic 23A
Ex Cruise America RV Rental

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone!

I am a new member here and I'll be picking up my new-to-me CA 23A Majestic supposedly by the 15th of September in Denver. I've read through all 122 pages of this thread, and would like to thank everyone for their contribution, which played a large part in my decision in purchasing a CA RV.
I've hired an inspection service to look over my RV before I pick it up, as it was recommended here to do so, and since I'm new to RV ownership, I thought it was a good form of insurance to catch potential problems. I don't plan on buying the CA extended warranty.
I live in central Missouri, and a friend from Colorado will come and visit me and take me back to Denver when the unit is ready so I won't have to tow my car back or take public transportation to get to Denver. After I get the RV, I'll head up into the mountains for a shake down cruise and a little fly fishing before I head back home. I'm retired, so everyday is Saturday for me, and I'm not under any timeline for getting back home.
I plan on installing a back up camera pretty soon after I get the vehicle, but other additions will be a tv, some solar, and additional house batteries. The first modification may be to the bench seat right behind the drivers seat. I'm 6'5," and I'm pretty sure I'll need to recline the drivers seat a bit more in order to drive comfortably.

Does anyone know what is under the dinette bench seat behind the drivers seat? I may not have to remove the base of the seat depending what under there, but just the seat back in order to recline the drivers seat a bit more.

Again, thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread. Your efforts greatly put my mind at ease.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 127  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.