Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Oven "Broiler" Why is it a broiler with the same flame?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Oven "Broiler" Why is it a broiler with the same flame?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/13 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, here I am staying up later than I should and making a snack food I don't need....

Which brings me to the use of the oven broiler.

Now being an overly analytical person, I know from observation that it doesn't matter where you set that dial, all the heat comes from the same flame, on the bottom. There is no top flame or element as in our conventional electric oven.

So why is it that when you turn the knob all the way over that it suddenly becomes a broiler? I mean think about it - a broiler has the heat applied from the top down, not from the bottom up.

Being an analytical sort, I have pondered this point for years and finally decided to ask you guys!

Excuse me now, I have some "broiled" nacho chips and cheese to eat.

And they turned out well under the "broiler"......

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/13 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well in our oven I slide the sheet pan under the bottom cover so my goodies are below the flame.........watch it closely
I do my nachos in the microwave....ain't got time to wait for the broiler when it's snack time 40 secs and I'm scarfing [emoticon]

'Broil' on the knob just allows the flame to stay on vs other temp settings where main flame will go out then relight as temp is satisfied then drops temp.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I guess I guess there is room to slide a sheet pan in there. Not a lot of clearance to the flame!

But like you say, watch it!

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 01:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Troll? Just kidding, and only because I just finished reading your other post of the night.

The reason a electric range has a "Broil" setting is to shut off the lower heating element and turn on the upper heating element. There is no heat cut-off for the broiler setting to my knowledge, but it might have a safety cut-off around 400 - 500F.

In a gas range - including my RV, the oven can be set to 400F and even higher up the dial is "Broil" - I am guessing that means the burner will not shut off until the oven is scorching hot, so if you happen to like your steak really well broiled, the flame will stay on for a really long time without cutting out once the oven is warm.

The only thing I have ever broiled in my RV oven is sourdough toast, already buttered, it comes out great. However in the home range, I have cooked a steak once. Most of the time I prefer the BBQ.

I don't think I would own a RV without a oven.

Fred.

outdoorlovers

Anaheim Hills, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 01:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never used the RV oven. Just traded in our TT on a new FW. Salesperson asked the condition of the oven. I said, "I don't know. I've never turned it on." Have never been anxious to put anything in a propane oven.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 02:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

outdoorlovers wrote:

I've never used the RV oven. Just traded in our TT on a new FW. Salesperson asked the condition of the oven. I said, "I don't know. I've never turned it on." Have never been anxious to put anything in a propane oven.

I like cornbread to much to give up the oven. Fresh out of the oven.

And I also bake things for dinner too. When I make spaghetti, I need to have that with broiled toast.

To each their own.

Fred.

Sprink-Fitter

Anywhere we want to be.

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

outdoorlovers wrote:

So why are you not to anxious to put anything in a propane oven?

We had propane in our house until about 10 years, now we have natural gas, the food taste the same, am I missing something here?

2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B-Y-U, I agree with you, the RV oven doesn't have a useable broiler. They don't come with a broiler pan either.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

SWMO

Southwest Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't use are oven for the most part. We have a good quality toaster oven, it will do the all important biscuits, and really between it and our Dutch ovens we just don't need it.

2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to remember when using the Broiler setting is to leave the door partially opened to release the excess heat because in Broiler position the valve is wide open just like the old standing pilot ovens grand mom had. With a pan and rack you can make great steaks and chops under the broiler when the weather is bad! It's also great for garlic bread or Texas toast!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Oven "Broiler" Why is it a broiler with the same flame?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS