Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Separate Alternator Rectifier For HOUSE Batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Separate Alternator Rectifier For HOUSE Batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/15 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All is needed is an adequate 3-phase bridge rectifier with insulated base to affix to a finned heat sink.

Three phase terminals.

One positive terminal

One negative terminal.

If the rectifier has alternate or additional terminals, skip it. For all intents and purposes it is a gizmo not the real thing. I've perused eBay and saw lots of nice rectifier bridges. Plain 5-terminals.

areddon

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is an old post, but I am trying to figure out the wiring of my alternator to external rectifier.

Alternator is Mitsubishi 12 volt 115 Amp.

The stator has four pairs of coated wires attached to the rectifier bridge/voltage regulator/brush holder.

See photo of stator and (edit) FOUR wire pairs at [image].

Assuming it is a 3 phase output, how do I identify the three pairs that give the input to the rectifier and what is the fourth pair all about?

Thanks for any help

* This post was edited 10/18/21 09:27pm by areddon *

areddon

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disregard above question. I just realized that the pair of leads that is second from the right is attached to the "W" terminal which is often said to be an unrectified AC output for tachometer use. I guess that it is a fourth winding loop just for tachometer purposes. The other three pairs must be the 3 phases of AC generatedd in the stator.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Count your rectifiers. If there are four pairs, OEM is obviously rectifying that termination. I personally disfavor unbalanced phases for the sake of the voltage regulator even if it is ECU contained. To keep this a bit less technical I have seen overheated phase windings due to a disordered phase 4 conductor. With a principal loading route still connected a total phase connection does not exist but amplified phase inequality due to small #1 vs Large #2 over long periods of time have impacts. I used to use TO5 30-amp rectifiers both anode and cathode connections to fully rectify the stator on Ford 3G and 4G units.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Separate Alternator Rectifier For HOUSE Batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.