Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to remove oxidation before waxing?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to remove oxidation before waxing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/15 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

All of this talk of buffing is great until a guy gets hooked on polishing bare metal. I've polished aluminum plate to mirror finishes using average car products and sundry sanders. I use a 10" or 7" rotary to burnish car waxes. As was said, the machine can make movements 1000/1 over hand.

Metal polishing example:

[image]

Yes, it's amazing what can be done to aluminum with Mother's brand mag and aluminum polish and some time and effort.

blacktop

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starbrite.

d1h

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For many years I have had good results using ZEP liquid wash and shine on TT. Removes the white powder residue and leaves a clean shinning finish to the TT. Easy and quick to use with sponge mop and no mess to deal with. Then you can wax over it if so desired. Cheers to the brave

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best way depends on a lot of variables. I don't know how anyone can recommend anything without knowing the details. How old is the MH and how bad is the oxidation? Will it come off with just hand polishing with a good compound wax after cleaning it good with the ZEP's process? If so you have your answer. If it won't clean up by hand how good are your shoulders? If good I would use a polishing wheel and a good compound. I have done this before I tore both shoulders on a really oxidized boat and it came out good with white FG and gel coat. Gel coat thickness on a boat hull will be similar to a front and rear cap on a MH .020-.040 ins. Side walls will be thinner. Does your trailer have full body paint? If so it should not be that oxidized and I would be real careful with a machine polisher using the smallest grit possible. My MH is 25 years old and I have two torn shoulders so when I could no longer hand polish about 10 years ago I did the Zeps process and every several years I reapply mostly to the front cap because it gets more wear than the side caps. I have never stripped it I just clean and reapply. My gel coat was really worn so it adhered well and has never yellowed. Still shines better than when I got it in 2004. Good luck with you project, hope this helps.

hondapro

Central Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/21 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Collinite products. All of there products I have tried have worked great. I would first use the 920 cleaner and then the 925

Steve
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel
2015 Springdale 311RE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to remove oxidation before waxing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.