Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Customizations / mods to the Freelander 21QB
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Customizations / mods to the Freelander 21QB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
NWboondocker

Hillsboro, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/16 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice ideas, thanks for sharing.

Since you're concerned with battery life, a few simple things:
1) Upgrade to LED lights if not already. After trying a few different styles in my 26QB, I really like this one. A bit brighter than incandescent, still warm, and 1/10 the power.

2) Much more efficient to connect your TV direct to 12v instead of running off converter, if possible. Did Coachmen not install a 12v TV, or did you upgrade it?

'13 Coachmen Freelander 26QB

rockfishon

MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/16 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NWboondocker wrote:

Nice ideas, thanks for sharing.

Since you're concerned with battery life, a few simple things:
1) Upgrade to LED lights if not already. After trying a few different styles in my 26QB, I really like this one. A bit brighter than incandescent, still warm, and 1/10 the power.

2) Much more efficient to connect your TV direct to 12v instead of running off converter, if possible. Did Coachmen not install a 12v TV, or did you upgrade it?

The 2016 21QB has LED's as a standard feature. The TV is 110 only. My main reason for the battery upgrade was to run my coffee maker in the morning without starting the generator at 6am.

rockfishon

MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/16 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

16. Added a LED light and switch to the storage compartment.

[image]
[image]

rockfishon

MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/16 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added a Wide Angle Rear Window Lens so that it is easier to see what is behind me.

[image]

Trimmed the seat hatch covers to allow for the table to be mounted further towards the side window. The small pole normally used with the table as a bed is placed in the back hole.

[image]
[image]

* This post was last edited 08/23/19 06:21am by rockfishon *   View edit history

tred0956

Shuswap, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/16 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2008 21QB, the cupboard under the sink was all but useless. By slightly moving the sink drain and P-trap, I was able to build four full extension drawers. The bottom one is high enough for pots and pans and the other 3 are about 4 inches high. We now have lots of room for cutlery and everything else.

We took half the closet and put in shelves and made a pantry.

I built a sliding mechanism for the table so we can slide it towards the outside wall when there is only the 2 of us to give more interior space in the kitchen area.

Repalaced the mattress with a residential style mattress in RV size(75 inches vs 80). Much more comfortable and the shorter size allows it to slide back and forth a bit so bed is much easier to make up.

Added a back up camera, Rear View Safety from Costco, love it.

On the 2008 model, the shower hose comes from the bathroom sink faucet. I moved that faucet to the bathtub, where it belongs (bit tricky with the plumbing) and bought a new sink faucet.

Project for this spring: we have a Thule platform rack that is great for 2 bikes, but there is lots of room between the rack and the back of the MH over the bumper, so I bought a couple of roof mount bike racks and will built a mount on the bumper for them so we can bring both our road and mountain bikes with us.

Wish I could include photos, but we are at our winter home (skiing is GREAT this year) and MH is at summer home.

rockfishon

MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/16 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tred0956 wrote:

On my 2008 21QB, the cupboard under the sink was all but useless. By slightly moving the sink drain and P-trap, I was able to build four full extension drawers. The bottom one is high enough for pots and pans and the other 3 are about 4 inches high. We now have lots of room for cutlery and everything else.

I built a sliding mechanism for the table so we can slide it towards the outside wall when there is only the 2 of us to give more interior space in the kitchen area.

Repalaced the mattress with a residential style mattress in RV size(75 inches vs 80). Much more comfortable and the shorter size allows it to slide back and forth a bit so bed is much easier to make up.

On the 2008 model, the shower hose comes from the bathroom sink faucet. I moved that faucet to the bathtub, where it belongs (bit tricky with the plumbing) and bought a new sink faucet.

Project for this spring: we have a Thule platform rack that is great for 2 bikes, but there is lots of room between the rack and the back of the MH over the bumper, so I bought a couple of roof mount bike racks and will built a mount on the bumper for them so we can bring both our road and mountain bikes with us.

Wish I could include photos, but we are at our winter home (skiing is GREAT this year) and MH is at summer home.

I would love to see some picture when you get around to it. Thanks for the additional great ideas.

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/16 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tred0956 wrote:

On my 2008 21QB,

Great minds think alike! [emoticon] We have a 2008 21QB too. I took the left half of the wardroom and slid in shelves on a removable frame. The right side is four full extension drawers also in a removable frame. I figured a future owner might want their closet space back so that's why I made everything revertable-back-to-factory.

The side of the frame is pegboard. Towels and toiletries on the left, foodstuffs and pantry items in the drawers. Larger pans on the pegboard.

For the massive storage underneath, another frame that sits so that it doesn't obstruct the compartments. Then shelving for camping chairs and gear. More pegboard to hold hoses, dump stuff. elec cords etc.

All of this got started when we got the RV and noticed that our previous owner had installed shelving in the basement and decided to screw directly into the freshwater tank!!!

rockfishon

MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just added a spray port to the side with a shut off valve next to the propane tank. It looks and works great.

Pic of spray port

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that you owned the MH for a while now are you still satisfied with it or would you get another? Also have you ever weighed the MH front and back to see how the weight is distributed? I like your model especially large rear storage bay and the 50 gals of FW.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

rockfishon wrote:

2: Added second house battery and switch.

Feel dumb by asking, but did you add a second battery, or a second battery bank?

Regardless, I like your switch, and the only thing I'd probably add to that would be a 200 amp catastrophic fuse just so the batteries are protected against a dead short.

I was just reading through this thread and found your mention of this fuse. THAT'S what the one under my hood is! (On the side of the engine compartment, between the chassis battery and something else, which I now think is the house battery.)

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Customizations / mods to the Freelander 21QB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.