Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Customizations / mods to the Freelander 21QB
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Customizations / mods to the Freelander 21QB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/07/16 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding your mod of a switch to power the radio from either the chassis battery or coach batteries: My Itasca Class C came from Winnebago with a switch on the dash to power the cab radio from either battery source. However, I've learned to never leave this switch in the position such that the cab radio is powered from the coach batteries.

The reason is that the cab radio has a digital clock showing the time. We completely disconnect the coach batteries periodically and temporarily for various reasons (the RV came with a built-in switch for this). By powering this radio from the coach batteries, this clock constantly has to be reset. We now leave the cab radio always powered from the chassis battery. The chassis battery is kept charged during storage with a small battery maintainer, so the cab radio's constantly running clock cannot run the chassis battery down during storage.


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

rockfishon

MD

New Member

Joined: 06/17/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/16 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Itasca radio is probably wired differently than mine. The radio should have 2 lines for power. One is for the ignition to allow you to turn it on when the key is on and the other is for the clock. My guess is that on your RV they are tied together.

On mine, I kept the clock line always connected to the engine battery. I only switch the ignition line on the radio. This way the clock and the station memory is never lost.

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/16 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockfishon wrote:

Your Itasca radio is probably wired differently than mine. The radio should have 2 lines for power. One is for the ignition to allow you to turn it on when the key is on and the other is for the clock. My guess is that on your RV they are tied together.

On mine, I kept the clock line always connected to the engine battery. I only switch the ignition line on the radio. This way the clock and the station memory is never lost.


On some radios, the clock line is actually the main power line and the ignition line basically just a remote control line to cause the radio to turn on and off. When it's on, the power for the radio comes from the clock line. Probably that's not universally true.





Healeyman

Carrollton, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/07/16 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockfishon wrote:

I installed a quick drain on the water heater. Camco 11703 1/2" Water Heater Drain Valve


Rocky,

Be aware that your water heater tank is aluminum and your drain valve is brass. There is galvanic action, precipitated by the water, between those two dis-similar metals.

Eventually, the brass plug or the internals of the valve will corrode away and the brass drain plug WILL leak. When is largely dependent on the quality of the water you come across. For example, distilled or de-ionized water has no free electrons, thus will not corrode.

Galvanic action is why NEW water heater tanks have a plastic drain plug.

Tim





mlts22

Austin, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/15/2010

View Profile



Posted: 02/07/16 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockfishon wrote:

2: Added second house battery and switch.



Feel dumb by asking, but did you add a second battery, or a second battery bank?

Regardless, I like your switch, and the only thing I'd probably add to that would be a 200 amp catastrophic fuse just so the batteries are protected against a dead short.

rockfishon

MD

New Member

Joined: 06/17/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/16 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Healeyman wrote:

rockfishon wrote:

I installed a quick drain on the water heater. Camco 11703 1/2" Water Heater Drain Valve


Rocky,

Be aware that your water heater tank is aluminum and your drain valve is brass. There is galvanic action, precipitated by the water, between those two dis-similar metals.

Eventually, the brass plug or the internals of the valve will corrode away and the brass drain plug WILL leak. When is largely dependent on the quality of the water you come across. For example, distilled or de-ionized water has no free electrons, thus will not corrode.

Galvanic action is why NEW water heater tanks have a plastic drain plug.

Tim


Thanks for the information. Do you know if they make a AL valve?

rockfishon

MD

New Member

Joined: 06/17/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/16 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

rockfishon wrote:

2: Added second house battery and switch.



Feel dumb by asking, but did you add a second battery, or a second battery bank?

Regardless, I like your switch, and the only thing I'd probably add to that would be a 200 amp catastrophic fuse just so the batteries are protected against a dead short.


Added a second battery and auto reset circuit breaker. I think it was a 50A but don't quote me. The one I used for the second battery was the same as was used on the original battery.

Healeyman

Carrollton, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/07/16 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockfishon wrote:

Thanks for the information. Do you know if they make a AL valve?


Rocky,

I have never seen an AL plug. Try Googling for one.

I bought the same brass plug that you did. When I told a friend about it, he (having spent much of a career selling electroplating materials) said almost word for word what I told you.

I took the drain plug back before I ever installed it.

Tim

Healeyman

Carrollton, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/07/16 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rocky,

You sound like my kind of guy. Why leave it alone when a few mods make it much more convenient and livable.

We have a Freelander 28QB and tow a Miata retractable hardtop.

[image]

As we normally travel every day (rarely more than 2 nights in the same place, we never "hook up" to water or sewer. I add water to the on board tank when it is empty and drain the waste thanks when they are full.

Because my tank drain valve was as equally hard to get to as yours I moved the fresh tank drain valve to the rear skirt of the house.

[image]

[image]

Because our scaredy cat would not go into a hole like yours to get to the litter pan, I installed a dirty cloths chute and put a ready-to-go laundry basket under it.

[image]

[image]

I installed a hand rail from another brand of RV. Gettin old is heck, donchano?

[image]

When parked, we usually use the front for storage.

I took the supplied lightweight curtain and backed it up with a Harbor Freight cheepie moving blanket. The heavy insulation keeps the cold in and the heat out of the house.

[image]

[image]

I've made some other changes, but those are most of the biggies.

You should see a couple of my "toy" cars (like the Ford V8, Automatic Transmission, 1959 Austin Healey pictured).

Tim

[image]

* This post was edited 02/07/16 07:09pm by Healeyman *

rockfishon

MD

New Member

Joined: 06/17/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/16 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Healeyman wrote:



Because my tank drain valve was as equally hard to get to as yours I moved the fresh tank drain valve to the rear skirt of the house.


I plan to do the same as you. On my last RV I found it was also a good place to wash my hands.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Customizations / mods to the Freelander 21QB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.