Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pump Silencing & Accumulator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

 > Pump Silencing & Accumulator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/17 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I got all my stuff together to quiet the pump down and smooth out the flow. The little ShurFlo accumulator tank is pumped with 40 psig of air. It is hooked up to the pump with 1/2"X36" flexible hose with 1/2 Female Pipe Threads(FPT), and from the accumulator tank to the Pex with another 1/2"X36". The accumulator accepts 1/2" FPT, the pump accepts 1/2" FPT and the Pex water line accepts 1/2 FPT. That made it easy to hook up. I could have used a shorter flex line for the hook up but I figured the total 6' of soft pipe would dull the pump.
[image]
[image]
To further help take the harshness out the pump running I glued(PL-400 subfloor glue) a piece of 1/2 wood to a 1" thick piece of ergo-mat the screwed the pump to the wood, then glued it to the floor with a dob, 'bout the size of a quarter of the PL400 on each corner of the ergo-mat. That way if I had to, I could get it back off.
[image]
This little mod really made a difference. The pump is not silent, but is very quiet. The water flow is real steady even on low flow. the water that comes out of my filter faucet(dual stage under-sink)is much more steady too. When I ordered my accumulator tanks, my intention was to install one just like you see and the other one downstream of the under-sink filter to help out the flow with that little dude. Not really sure I need it now. I have a pretty good amount of room under the sink, behind the drawers and around the water heater. So I may just put the other one on the "shelf of things to do" and install it later on. I would be real easy to install it if I get around to it. It would be equally easy to yank it if it doesn't work out.


V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/17 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, a very good mod IMHO. I did similar and well worth the effort.


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


Sam Spade

North Central Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 11/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/17 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

So I got all my stuff together to quiet the pump down and smooth out the flow.


The key to a more quiet running pump is to ISOLATE it from the body of the RV. It looks like you did that both with the "motor mounts" on the feet AND the rubber pad on the bottom. Excellent.
A mistake often made is to crank down the mounting bolts too tight so that the vibrations are then transmitted through the bolts.

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/13/17 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job! That pump should be real quiet. I had the room so I installed a 2-gallon residential expansion tank.


2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/17 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbopp wrote:

Nice job! That pump should be real quiet. I had the room so I installed a 2-gallon residential expansion tank.


I have actually thought about using the larger accumulation tank, but in reality for our use I think the larger tank would be overkill. However, if we actually started using our shower for something other than storage and a coat rack...........this could be logical.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/17 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

mbopp wrote:

Nice job! That pump should be real quiet. I had the room so I installed a 2-gallon residential expansion tank.


I have actually thought about using the larger accumulation tank, but in reality for our use I think the larger tank would be overkill. However, if we actually started using our shower for something other than storage and a coat rack...........this could be logical.


Furthering that thought...........A two gallon tank would add two gallons of fresh water capacity...............

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/17 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

Vintage465 wrote:

mbopp wrote:

Nice job! That pump should be real quiet. I had the room so I installed a 2-gallon residential expansion tank.


I have actually thought about using the larger accumulation tank, but in reality for our use I think the larger tank would be overkill. However, if we actually started using our shower for something other than storage and a coat rack...........this could be logical.


Furthering that thought...........A two gallon tank would add two gallons of fresh water capacity...............


It adds to the total capacity, yes, but not as much to the (easily) usable capacity. I don't know offhand if accumulator tanks are usually specified based on their total volume or on the nominal water volume--I would suspect the former, in which case some portion of the whole must be reserved for the air to pressurize the tank. The usable increase in water capacity would be the difference between the "full" water capacity and the "empty" water capacity at whatever pressure you deem to be the lowest practical pressure for the water system.

It's somewhat akin to how a six gallon water heater tank increases the fresh water storage capacity of an RV by six gallons, but it doesn't really mean you have six more gallons of water you can use before refilling (unless you pull the water heater drain plug to collect water for the last several toilet flushes).





Sam Spade

North Central Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 11/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/17 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:


Furthering that thought...........A two gallon tank would add two gallons of fresh water capacity...............


Yes but once you get your pump quiet, it would add virtually nothing else really useful. Who cares if the water flow varies a bit when you are washing your hands ? Or doing anything else for that matter.

And as Drew pointed out, it would not be USABLE capacity. It would be 16 pounds of extra weight that you would be carrying around all the time though.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/17 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Vintage465 wrote:

Vintage465 wrote:

mbopp wrote:

Nice job! That pump should be real quiet. I had the room so I installed a 2-gallon residential expansion tank.


I have actually thought about using the larger accumulation tank, but in reality for our use I think the larger tank would be overkill. However, if we actually started using our shower for something other than storage and a coat rack...........this could be logical.


Furthering that thought...........A two gallon tank would add two gallons of fresh water capacity...............


It adds to the total capacity, yes, but not as much to the (easily) usable capacity. I don't know offhand if accumulator tanks are usually specified based on their total volume or on the nominal water volume--I would suspect the former, in which case some portion of the whole must be reserved for the air to pressurize the tank. The usable increase in water capacity would be the difference between the "full" water capacity and the "empty" water capacity at whatever pressure you deem to be the lowest practical pressure for the water system.

It's somewhat akin to how a six gallon water heater tank increases the fresh water storage capacity of an RV by six gallons, but it doesn't really mean you have six more gallons of water you can use before refilling (unless you pull the water heater drain plug to collect water for the last several toilet flushes).


Yes I see your point............Unless you mounted it upside down like my little one is. Seems to me it would drain or be pushed right out into the water system.........right?

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 06/13/17 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The water in the tank is under pressure from the compressed air in the tank's bladder. As water is drawn by the system, the water in the tank is pushed out by the pressurized bladder until the line pressure drops below the pump cut-in setting. At that point, the tank should very nearly empty of water. When draining the system for winterizing, repairs, etc, the tank will completely empty of water.


Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

 > Pump Silencing & Accumulator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.