Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 682  
Prev  |  Next
JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, I'm being exposed to some new/interesting techniques and ideas. Interesting way to start the day ! I'll keep reading.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

For me, I'm being exposed to some new/interesting techniques and ideas. Interesting way to start the day ! I'll keep reading.

Happy to see you're enjoying it.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will say one thing about curved ceilings. When it comes time to install a wall, cabinets, or most anything up against the curved portion, it takes a lot longer than having a flat surface to work with.

No, that didn't come as a surprise. I knew it would take longer. Just an fyi, in case it had not occurred to you. I still like the looks of the curved ceiling, and would do it again.

Here's a pair of shelf and cabinet ends for the passenger side. The curved portion at the ceiling was a bit of a trip to get it close to being right.

I used 1/2" plywood, as I want the shelves and cabinets to be fastened to something securely on each end. This should work just fine.

These shelves are still the temporary ones I made.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the drivers side ends for the shelves and upper cabinets.

I need to purchase more plywood to be able to cut the shelves to size.

[image]

btilfan

springfield NE

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

This is the bath area wall, and the red lines indicate .... (drum roll please)!!!!!! .....

Seriously considering putting a very thin piece of steel there, and probably painting it.

Why? I think it would be a nice place to hang different things with magnets.

I know sometimes people use a magnet to hold their kitchen knives, and so forth.

I was thinking, having a large piece of steel there would allow all kinds of magnetic hooks to be stuck on there.

I like that idea.. our last two Moho's had no metal anywhere for magnets. When I saw this it started me looking for a place to do the same.. not quite as big though.

I like that idea.. our last two Moho's had no metal anywhere for magnets. When I saw this it started me looking for a place to do the same.. not quite as big though.

Since it would not have to be a thick piece, it would not weigh very much. Just need to glue it to the wall to hold it into place.

[image]

What do you think? Am I overlooking something here?

* This post was last edited 05/16/20 12:59pm by btilfan *   View edit history

2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been thinking about your idea about the metal panels on the wall. Could not really come up with many things that we would stick up with magnets. We have only 3 things that we stick up with magnets: the wind up timer, the digital timer and oven meat thermometer, and a beer bottle opener. Other thinks that we tried were either too heavy and the hooks slid down over time, or they went flying when we hit the highway. Think one panel would be sufficient to hold the few things that would stay put during travel, as well as some magnets to hold up pictures and recipes. If you are going to use rattle-can paint, use some automotive lacquer that will be less likely to scratch, or have it powder coated. The business that powder coats our race car stuff is about 5 miles from my house and gives me a really good deal if I have it done in one of the popular colors (black, white, silver) that he is always doing. Just hits me up for the price of the powder if he can just add it to a batch that he is already doing. He can do gloss or dull finish, and the finish wears like iron. Only finish that has held up on my mower deck.

Don't see anything wrong with having shelves behind the cooktop and prep area as long as they are not in danger of burning while cooking. You can never have enough storage space in your MH. You do not have the "basement" storage that many other MHs have (think DP or newer gassers) so you have to put storage wherever you can.

Keep plugging away, enjoying watching the process. Don't always agree with some of your design choices, but, hey, it's YOUR motorhome.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Been thinking about your idea about the metal panels on the wall. Could not really come up with many things that we would stick up with magnets. We have only 3 things that we stick up with magnets: the wind up timer, the digital timer and oven meat thermometer, and a beer bottle opener. Other thinks that we tried were either too heavy and the hooks slid down over time, or they went flying when we hit the highway. Think one panel would be sufficient to hold the few things that would stay put during travel, as well as some magnets to hold up pictures and recipes. If you are going to use rattle-can paint, use some automotive lacquer that will be less likely to scratch, or have it powder coated. The business that powder coats our race car stuff is about 5 miles from my house and gives me a really good deal if I have it done in one of the popular colors (black, white, silver) that he is always doing. Just hits me up for the price of the powder if he can just add it to a batch that he is already doing. He can do gloss or dull finish, and the finish wears like iron. Only finish that has held up on my mower deck.

Don't see anything wrong with having shelves behind the cooktop and prep area as long as they are not in danger of burning while cooking. You can never have enough storage space in your MH. You do not have the "basement" storage that many other MHs have (think DP or newer gassers) so you have to put storage wherever you can.

Keep plugging away, enjoying watching the process. Don't always agree with some of your design choices, but, hey, it's YOUR motorhome.

You just need stronger magnets, Capt'n. Ones that can barely be pulled off without a pair of vise grips. Ok, maybe that's a little overboard, but there are many different strengths of magnets on Amazon.

The normal refrigerator magnets are not going to cut it. Strong enough to be tough to pull off will work.

If we decide not to use a bunch of magnets, we can always put something else there, just need to drill holes.

More storage is always a good thing. More storage, that the wife can reach, is a better thing.

Short people problems, 101.

Thanks.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't for the life of me figure out why a man would want 2 wives. I have enough trouble keeping up with one wife's Honey-Do list.

I'd never keep up with the second wife's list. Lol.

With that said, I did manage to get to Lowes today, and spend some money. Some towards the Honey-Do list, and some for the motor home.

First was a pair of boxes of 1" Kreg screws. 200 in total screws. Turns out that the 1 and 1/4" length screws do not work well with 1/2" plywood.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second purchase was for 2 sheets of 1/2" x 4 x 8 plywood. I need most of that for the shelves. I did, however, forget to take a picture of them.

I started laying out the markings on the end panels of the shelves, so I know where the shelves will go.

I measured and marked them, and laid them side by side, just to make sure the shelves will be the same height on both ends.

It's not fun to start putting things together, and suddenly find one end is an inch higher than the other. Been there, done that.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First step was to measure up 12 inches from the bottom, then add another 1/2 inch so I knew exactly where the shelf would be.

[image]

Then, I cheated. I wanted 7" from the top of the first shelf, to the bottom of the next shelf. In order not to screw up adding or subtracting, I moved the tape measure to the 10" mark, at the top of the first shelf, then moved up 7". That meant 10" low end, 17" high end. 7 inches empty space. Perfect. Then, add another 1/2" for the shelf itself.

After one too many mistakes over the years, it's just easier this way.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 682  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.