Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 203  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't it true that sometimes when you're designing and building a steel box, that you use bolts instead of welds to allow for expansion and contraction of the steel due to temps? Wouldn't that account for the manufacturer occasionally using bolts and nuts, maybe on the rafters and floor joists?

Maybe you covered this in an earlier post...

* This post was edited 01/12/18 01:46pm by [email protected] *

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

Isn't it true that sometimes when you're designing and building a steel box, that you use bolts instead of welds to allow for expansion and contraction of the steel due to temps? Wouldn't that account for the manufacturer occasionally using bolts and nuts, maybe on the rafters and floor joists?

Unless I misread the post, I was talking about adding extra bolts through some of the joists that had none, not welding them in place.

I would also agree that some rv's are bolted instead of welded at certain places.

This rv had the walls welded together, had the floor welded together, and the roof welded together.

The floor was bolted to the chassis frame. The walls were bolted to the floor, and the roof was bolted to the walls.

Some of that may, I repeat, may, have been more for convenience of assembly, rather than for expansion or contraction.

The flooring, walls, and roof, were all welded AND glued together as sub assemblies, then bolted to the chassis frame.

I have seen rv's where the frames are completely welded together, and then the flooring, walls, and roofs are put together, much like you would on a stick built house.

Either will work, depending on how it's built.

Just because a manufacturer does it one way, doesn't mean it's the best way.

Having worked in a production plant for some years, I learned pretty quickly, that the "best" way of doing things, may not be the way it's being done. Especially if it can be faster, cheaper, quicker, or more profitable, doing it differently, although with somewhat less quality.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today @ 1.03 pm.

Tomorrow's forecast is for 34 feeling like 16, with a wintry mix. Sunday is 23 feeling like 16, with a low sun night of 8. Boo Hiss....

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, here is the current state of the front of the coach floor. The red arrow points to a single joist, after I removed the second one which was welded to it, and it was bolted to the frame.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent some time today removing some of the welds, that I had previously put in, on the left side here. You can see some of the shiny spots on the left from grinding off the excess welds.

As you can see, the yellow arrow points to a piece of floor joist that runs to the rear of the coach. I had replaced this early on in the rebuild, but the very front of this looked pretty good, so I left it in.

After deciding to replace the entire floor, I removed the short piece, that I had left in, less than 4 feet long, indicated by the red line on the left.

The red line at the front, (top), is where the second joist was, and I removed that today.

Yup, that is the propane tank there.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another view of this same area behind the pilot's seat.

The propane tank is bolted to the frame, and has a couple of pieces of wood bolted on. They really don't do much, as they were just sitting on top of the aluminum.

The left side of the wood, is sitting on a piece of lightweight framing that is welded onto the frame of the chassis.

There may be a slight bit of help from that left piece of wood, but it doesn't provide much support for the tank.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And here is the gigantic hole on the right side of the coach, behind the co-pilot's seat, and between the seat and entry door.

Just think if we could put a large box in there, and add a dumb waiter to lift it up, after moving whatever is sitting on top of the floor.

Lotta storage there. Lol.

Probably not gonna happen.

[image]

femailyetti

South of Disney World

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a door from a trashed rv and put n the wall, just box it with some diamond tuff aluminum or sheet metal. Its a shame to waste space.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

femailyetti wrote:

Get a door from a trashed rv and put n the wall, just box it with some diamond tuff aluminum or sheet metal. Its a shame to waste space.

I have the storage box that was in there, but it was only accessible from the outside. That was the one that had several inches of water in it.

So, I could put that back in there, but as I was looking at that spot, I thought, wow, that would be cool to access that from the inside.

That storage box is a nice size. Pic below from earlier post.

[image]

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. It would be nice to have some basement storage that you can access from inside the MH. We have one compartment where we keep bottled water. Would be nice to be able to restock the fridge without having to go outside. Might be really handy if you can access it from outside as well as from above.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 203  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS