Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 363  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

Basically, all you need is a nice straight edge, a couple of screws, and a circular saw. Cool, huh?

It's not rocket science.

[image]

I hope you painted the new exposed edge with POR ! btw, today I'll be painting my jack pads/feet with POR- I had some left over after painting my battery compartment.

That's on the list for today, but in all honesty, they're going to get cut off again later. I need to shorten them by probably another inch or so.

This was just the first cut to get me close. The second, final cut, won't happen until the floor is in place and insulated with the aluminum on the bottom.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an update on the Paulownia wood. The piece at the top was the one that was sanded, part of it stained, and then today, I lacquered the whole board.

The one on the bottom, was cut on a table saw, but was NOT sanded. The walnut stain on the left, was applied with a rag dipped into the stain. Since this was a little rough, it took more of the stain, and it is a darker color than the other sanded board.

Both of these boards were then coated with 2 coats of brushing lacquer.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

This again, shows the difference in color between the sanded one on top, and non sanded one on the bottom.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

And here we are slightly closer.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

And this is a close up of the non sanded stained piece. While it is still somewhat rough, after a couple of coats of lacquer, a light sanding to remove the high spots, and a couple of more coats of lacquer, and this would be smooth as a baby's butt. Lol.

Granted, it would still look at first glance, that it would be rough, but once you build up a few coats of clear coat, and then sand, it can be smooth to the touch.

So, anywhooooo, you can get an idea of how it will take a stain, whether it is sanded or not.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

I must admit something. You may have at times, seen that I seemed to wander around a little while doing this rebuild. You know, work on one thing, than another before the first if fully finished.

There is a reason for that. I am not bored. Maybe not very bright, but not bored. Lol.

The reason, is that at times I get to a point that I am not fully convinced how I want to proceed, so I'll set that portion aside for a little while, and go work on something else for a little bit.

Then I'll come back later and look at the prior project and it will look a little differently to me than it did before. I can then make a decision and proceed, and finish what I started.

So, that is how some of this has gone, and probably will continue.

The only thing I did today, was to clean up underneath the motor home, in order to get ready to insulate the floor, and install the flooring.

Temp today was about 80 degrees, with humidity nearly 100 percent. Yea, it was ugly out there. Within a few days, it is supposed to cool off in a big way, with day temps in the mid 50's.

I can deal with that. Instead, I rode the riding lawn mower, and mowed part of the yard.

Thursday it may rain, so, by Friday it should be a decent working temp from then on for at least a week. Perhaps, fall is actually here, and it will be nice working temps. Yay!

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your above post sounds like something out of book I am reading-- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - a very interesting read.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

your above post sounds like something out of book I am reading-- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - a very interesting read.

Wow, that's scary! Somebody else that thinks like me? Lol.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

JoeH wrote:

When the winter snows come ( in a couple weeks[emoticon] ) grab a copy of the book to fill in your down time.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

JoeH wrote:

When the winter snows come ( in a couple weeks[emoticon] ) grab a copy of the book to fill in your down time.

Not sure that there will be much down time. Last year I worked right through the winter, snow and all. At least this year, I should be able to work inside and maybe even have a little heat! Lol.

Maybe I'll get a copy, just for the heck of it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 363  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS