Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Motorcycle mount on back of 5er
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Motorcycle mount on back of 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/17 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a dirt bike (and platform) come off in West Texas one afternoon. Looked amazing as it cartwheeled down the shoulder of I-10. Driver didn't know he had lost it until a motorist pulled up alongside and honked him down.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/17 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Nothing with a motorcycle. Probably 60,000 + miles over the course of 18 years when towing tandem with a 5500 pound boat with over 500 pounds of tongue weight. And multiple friends who do the same. Which seems to be to be pretty similar to what the OP is considering (which is what I said in my first post).
I really can't see how a boat on its own trailer is anything like hanging a motorcycle on the back of a 5er but whatever.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/17 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

Nothing with a motorcycle. Probably 60,000 + miles over the course of 18 years when towing tandem with a 5500 pound boat with over 500 pounds of tongue weight. And multiple friends who do the same. Which seems to be to be pretty similar to what the OP is considering (which is what I said in my first post).
I really can't see how a boat on its own trailer is anything like hanging a motorcycle on the back of a 5er but whatever.

I'm not sure where your disconnect is? The boat is going to have 500 + pounds on the back of the trailer (tongue weight), which is similar to the weight a motorcycle puts on the back of the 5er. In fact, the boat will likely put more strain on the back of the trailer because it will bounce twice - once when the 1st trailer hits the bump, once when the 2nd trailer hits. All of that wil be on the connection point to the trailer (the hitch on the back, the same as either welding a carrier onto the back or a trailer, or using a hitch to create a platform back there).

Maybe you really know someone who had a problem (color me skeptical, but it doesn't matter). The reality is if the platform or hitch is appropriately welded onto the back of the 5er, you are unlikely to have troubles.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

frizzen

El Paso, Capitol of Baja New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/17 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked into a front hitch for the truck?

I need some wild

RinconVTR

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/17 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frizzen wrote:

Have you looked into a front hitch for the truck?

My first thought as well, especially seeing the OP is looking at middle weight dual purpose bikes. (Same weight as most middle weight "adventure bikes" as well.)

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/17 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I do have a front hitch but again I'll be close to maxing it out for it's rated for 500# so I now have another idea.

I saw this setup before and they had two quads on the back of the larger model but this might be the safest solution I've found so far;

[image]

I think this might be what I need but I've yet to buy the bike, I do like the middle range over the skinny bikes and I think I'm leaning toward BMW F650 GS or the Suzuki V-strom 650 ABS.

Any opinions on these two bikes?

Thanks as always,

Bill
Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

* This post was edited 09/26/17 10:46am by an administrator/moderator *

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/17 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The V-Strom will probably cost less and be more trouble free than the Beemer.

The swivelwheel-type trailers do work. I had one that I carried two motorcycles on and it worked a treat. The big plus is that you can back up with no issues, unlike a standard trailer.

Also I think the attachment nonpluses the LEO's as they aren't really sure how, or if, it qualifies as a trailer. I towed for several years, including in states that didn't allow double towing, and was never stopped.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

attuco

grand junction

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been carrying either a DRZ or a DL650 on the back of my last two 5ers both AF. I use a 2 receiver hitch setup so the bike is pretty stable . I put a battery box on the pin box with four 6 volt batteries to counterbalance the weight on the rear.The system hasn't given me problems in over 10 years.

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are you making out with your project?

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rjsurfer

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisher Bill wrote:

Yes I do have a front hitch but again I'll be close to maxing it out for it's rated for 500# so I now have another idea.

I saw this setup before and they had two quads on the back of the larger model but this might be the safest solution I've found so far;

[image]

I think this might be what I need but I've yet to buy the bike, I do like the middle range over the skinny bikes and I think I'm leaning toward BMW F650 GS or the Suzuki V-strom 650 ABS.

Any opinions on these two bikes?

Thanks as always,

Bill
Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

Would not hesitate a second to get another Vstrom 650. Best bike for the money, great cruiser and will work for light off road riding.

Super reliable and great bang for the buck and you could almost get two of them for the price of one BMW.

Ron w.

03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2008 Keystone Cougar 245RKS 5th Wheel
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Motorcycle mount on back of 5er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS