Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 600  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

^^^ These chargers are being installed in Katy Texas at a HEB grocery store parking lot. I guess the strategy is you can get a charge while picking up the groceries. Also I'm surprised there's a dozen of these being installed and there set up for each parking spot. I'll get a up close picture next time I'm there.

That would be great. If they are V3 Superchargers you would never have time to get groceries. The average V3 stop is like 15 minutes. Closer to 10 to 12 for us. Time for a coffee and a pee and that’s it. We tend to do that every two or three hours though. Especially with the Chihuahua.

I’ll check the Supercharger map. It may say if they are V2 or V3 chargers.

On edit. Found it. Doesn’t say much. Just that the target date is 2020.

* This post was edited 05/04/20 07:12am by Reisender *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

^^^ These chargers are being installed in Katy Texas at a HEB grocery store parking lot. I guess the strategy is you can get a charge while picking up the groceries. Also I'm surprised there's a dozen of these being installed and there set up for each parking spot. I'll get a up close picture next time I'm there.

That would be great. If they are V3 Superchargers you would never have time to get groceries. The average V3 stop is like 15 minutes. Closer to 10 to 12 for us. Time for a coffee and a pee and that’s it. We tend to do that every two or three hours though. Especially with the Chihuahua.

I’ll check the Supercharger map. It may say if they are V2 or V3 chargers.

On edit. Found it. Doesn’t say much. Just that the target date is 2020.

Looks like this is another area of competition on the EV market.

Tesla wants to be way ahead in the area of data, battery, design and charging stations (charging turn around).

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

This exactly what an EV driver is talking about not taking extra time and a detour to get fuel. Most assume an EV driver will stand there and watch it fill.

Same will eventually happen with the Semi.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

This exactly what an EV driver is talking about not taking extra time and a detour to get fuel. Most assume an EV driver will stand there and watch it fill.

I want and think with my forthcoming Cybertruck, I'll be able to maintain a one-stop recharging between campsites and take my lunch, stretching or maybe a nap.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Yah. In summary, we never stop to charge, but we do charge while we are stopped. But to be realistic so far this approach kind of only works with Tesla’s due to charging speed and availability. The latter is changing though as the non Tesla networks continue to expand. Other EV manufacturers need to step up their game on charging speed though. The only other players (Leaf and Bolt) are still stuck around 70 KW charge rates or so.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a standard for this technology is accepted destination charging could do a lot to replace dedicated charging stops. Especially with automated parking cars could manage charging while the owner is away.

Wireless parking

We might even eventually see some embedded in the road at traffic lights.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

If a standard for this technology is accepted destination charging could do a lot to replace dedicated charging stops. Especially with automated parking cars could manage charging while the owner is away.

Wireless parking

We might even eventually see some embedded in the road at traffic lights.

This is way cool!

Can't wait to happen soon enough although I seem to read somewhere this is first planned in Canada.

If this happens, I don't have to try too hard to keep my garage empty of stuff. LOL!

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am getting old...90% efficiency for touch-less charging ?!?

Wonder how they solved the flux field build up and gap losses?

Now added to my research reading list

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

I don’t know Ben but I see this as more of a useful technology for delivery trucks, police cars, ambulances etc. For the average person in a garage at home I don’t see this gaining traction. Mostly because I’m sure the equipment and installation will have an expense. Whereas using the EVSE that comes with the car is free. Maybe some additional expense for a 240 outlet in the garage if one needs faster charging than a 120 connection can provide.

Jmho

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

BenK wrote:

I don’t know Ben but I see this as more of a useful technology for delivery trucks, police cars, ambulances etc. For the average person in a garage at home I don’t see this gaining traction. Mostly because I’m sure the equipment and installation will have an expense. Whereas using the EVSE that comes with the car is free. Maybe some additional expense for a 240 outlet in the garage if one needs faster charging than a 120 connection can provide.

Like most new tech I expect it to start out fairly high but come down with age. I would like to have it at home (if I had an electric car).

Also, the 90% efficiency number is a baseline from several years ago. The new numbers are: "the passenger prototype has already been scaled up to 120-kW at 97 percent efficiency over a six-inch gap".

For most cars the six-inch gap means that the charger could be flush with the pavement.

Jmho

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 600  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.