Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 600  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see a case for losing 10%+ of the power. The plug is just not a big deal.
Not many people would pay 10% extra for an attendant to pump gasoline and that is a relative pitn.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder the (in)efficiency with the bigger gap and higher wheelbase of Cybertruck.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I don't see a case for losing 10%+ of the power. The plug is just not a big deal.
Not many people would pay 10% extra for an attendant to pump gasoline and that is a relative pitn.

That'x why I love Oregon. But some lazy attendants would just watch me pump, making an excuse they are also in compliant, lol.

But the biggest deal for me is not making filling up an errand and not having that side trip stop going to Costco.

* This post was edited 05/05/20 02:29pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

BenK wrote:

Am getting old...90% efficiency for touch-less charging ?!?

Wonder how they solved the flux field build up and gap losses?

Now added to my research reading list

I don’t know Ben but I see this as more of a useful technology for delivery trucks, police cars, ambulances etc. For the average person in a garage at home I don’t see this gaining traction. Mostly because I’m sure the equipment and installation will have an expense. Whereas using the EVSE that comes with the car is free. Maybe some additional expense for a 240 outlet in the garage if one needs faster charging than a 120 connection can provide.

Like most new tech I expect it to start out fairly high but come down with age. I would like to have it at home (if I had an electric car).

Also, the 90% efficiency number is a baseline from several years ago. The new numbers are: "the passenger prototype has already been scaled up to 120-kW at 97 percent efficiency over a six-inch gap".

For most cars the six-inch gap means that the charger could be flush with the pavement.

Jmho

Groover. I think you encapsulated your reply in your quote from me. It would be clearer if you would shift your remarks outside of my reply.

Cheers

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

We might even eventually see some embedded in the road at traffic lights.

I can't see that ever working, based upon the number of drivers I see that can't manage to pull up far enough to sit on the sensor that activates the light.

I can see it now: Road rage case where someone pushes the car in front of them so they can sit on the charger. [emoticon]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Groover wrote:

We might even eventually see some embedded in the road at traffic lights.

I can't see that ever working, based upon the number of drivers I see that can't manage to pull up far enough to sit on the sensor that activates the light.

I can see it now: Road rage case where someone pushes the car in front of them so they can sit on the charger. [emoticon]

I can see that happening. In Taiwan, for lack of parking, they push cars to make space for them to park -- and they use their own car's bumper to push,lol.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm skeptical of wireless charging efficiency.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

I'm skeptical of wireless charging efficiency.

Definitely, even wired has system loss.

The question is how large is this losses.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

BenK wrote:

I don’t know Ben but I see this as more of a useful technology for delivery trucks, police cars, ambulances etc. For the average person in a garage at home I don’t see this gaining traction. Mostly because I’m sure the equipment and installation will have an expense. Whereas using the EVSE that comes with the car is free. Maybe some additional expense for a 240 outlet in the garage if one needs faster charging than a 120 connection can provide.

Jmho

Groover. I think you encapsulated your reply in your quote from me. It would be clearer if you would shift your remarks outside of my reply.

Cheers

My bad. You are absolutely correct and that is not what I meant to do.

Like most new tech I expect it to start out fairly high but come down with age. I would like to have it at home (if I had an electric car).

Also, the 90% efficiency number is a baseline from several years ago. The new numbers are: "the passenger prototype has already been scaled up to 120-kW at 97 percent efficiency over a six-inch gap".

For most cars the six-inch gap means that the charger could be flush with the pavement.

120Kw is a bit overkill for home use too, 12Kw is about all that most home power supplies will be able to manage so that should bring down the cost and heat quite a bit. That would still charge any car out there overnight.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

BenK wrote:

Jmho

Cheers

My bad. You are absolutely correct and that is not what I meant to do.

120Kw is a bit overkill for home use too, 12Kw is about all that most home power supplies will be able to manage so that should bring down the cost and heat quite a bit. That would still charge any car out there overnight.

Yah I knew it wasn’t intentional as I have done it a couple times myself.

I would agree on the 12 KW charger as that is a 60 amp breaker. Quite literally what a Tesla hard wired wall charger uses right now. And even at that, most Tesla users (and other EV users) just use the EVSE that comes free with the car. They are typically between 6.6 and 10 kw and plug into a standard stove plug. Same as a 50 amp RV plug.

Having said all that my guess is the cyber truck will be available with the 19.2 KW dual charger that used to be available as an option from Tesla. That EVSE needs a 100 amp breaker.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 600  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.