Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 593  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I don’t follow this much but does NASA even do rockets anymore? I thought it was all contracted out to Space X and Boeing. I actually don’t know.

And NASA is contracting this to SpaceX because it's a lot cheaper.

I don't know if Elon is already making profit -- but it will be incidental if he is, meaning, NASA wants it cheap and don't care if Elon is making profit.

So you are saying that NASA scientist must be stupid because not only was SpaceX able to do it cheaper, but you are claiming that it is cleaner too?

Truth is, NASA has to abide by the Clean Air Act as a government entity which tightened even more in the late 2000's along with budget cuts. It is very expensive to launch environmentally friendlier rocket fuel into the air. So most non essential space flights stopped due to budget reductions.

However, since Elon lobbied to keep emissions out of the commercial space act, he does not have to abide by such rules and therefor it is much cheaper for him to shoot rockets into space which allowed SpaceX to be profitable for many years according to their president.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

I don’t follow this much but does NASA even do rockets anymore? I thought it was all contracted out to Space X and Boeing. I actually don’t know.

The SpaceX contract with NASA for manned flight goes like this: SpaceX builds and provides the hardware and flight control for the flights to NASA specs. Similar arrangement with ULA (United Launch Alliance). Unmanned payloads, pretty much the same drill with both SpaceX and ULA, then the control and operation of the payloads falls to the agency that owns said payload; military, NOAA,commercial satellite operators, etc.

Launch facilities at KSC and Canaveral AFS used by SpaceX were refurbished at SpaceX's expense. Same with facilities used by ULA.

Except for management of the ISS and deep space robots/probes, I'm starting to wonder why NASA is needed any longer if the commercial model of space travel/exploration remains. Last Saturday's launch and flight was all SpaceX until docking at the ISS. Johnson Spaceflight Center in Houston, took it from there, until the Dragon undocks.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Hell, I'm just wondering where the Semi is?
Need to check in more often. Has been delayed for CyberTruck.

Not at all surprising right? How in Nikola One coming along?

I am not sure which will be first to market...
Nikola expects to sell and deliver 12,000 class-8 trucks by 2024

Sorry Time. I've lost count on the number of delays that Tesla has had. So is it going to be delayed forever? Well not forever but past my lifetime?

I can say I have a flying car. And be just like Tusk and say "it's not quite done yet............it's not quite done yet..........it's not quite done yet................."

I do remember I ask 2 years ago when the first Semi was going to roll and you said at the end of last year. If you want I can find it and quote it?

You keep on moving the goal post just like this guy does. Look at the date of this article. "It's not quite done yet............."

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

Reisender wrote:

The SpaceX contract with NASA for manned flight goes like this: SpaceX builds and provides the hardware and flight control for the flights to NASA specs. Similar arrangement with ULA (United Launch Alliance). Unmanned payloads, pretty much the same drill with both SpaceX and ULA, then the control and operation of the payloads falls to the agency that owns said payload; military, NOAA,commercial satellite operators, etc.

Launch facilities at KSC and Canaveral AFS used by SpaceX were refurbished at SpaceX's expense. Same with facilities used by ULA.

Except for management of the ISS and deep space robots/probes, I'm starting to wonder why NASA is needed any longer if the commercial model of space travel/exploration remains. Last Saturday's launch and flight was all SpaceX until docking at the ISS. Johnson Spaceflight Center in Houston, took it from there, until the Dragon undocks.

Thanks for the explanation. I wouldn’t have had a clue where to look for this. How does ROSCOSMOS fit into the program in the future. For the last decade they have been the UBER of Space for western countries access to the ISS. Any idea on their role in the future?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Sorry Time. I've lost count on the number of delays that Tesla has had. So is it going to be delayed forever? Well not forever but past my lifetime?

I can say I have a flying car. And be just like Tusk and say "it's not quite done yet............it's not quite done yet..........it's not quite done yet................."

I do remember I ask 2 years ago when the first Semi was going to roll and you said at the end of last year. If you want I can find it and quote it?

You keep on moving the goal post just like this guy does. Look at the date of this article. "It's not quite done yet............."
I may have posted it but the timeline and delay is from Tesla not me. I always said Semi would likely be delayed similar to the other vehicles when giving my personal opinion.

Yes you may not live long enough to see the Roadster 1, Model S, Model X, Solar Roof, PowerWall, Model 3, Model Y but they are here right now for your immediate consumption. Maybe you will make it to see CyberTruck, Semi, and Roadster II. Stay healthy and sharp my friend.

I thought the original Semi date was end of 2019 to get a few on the road.... so really the delay has been 6 months so far but could well be 2+ years from the original timeline.

The flying car (Space X) actually connected with the space station yesterday... did you miss that too?

How is that bankwupt going? Is Elon out of jail yet after the SEC got through with him?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I don't know if Elon is already making profit -- but it will be incidental if he is, meaning, NASA wants it cheap and don't care if Elon is making profit.

So you are saying that NASA scientist must be stupid because not only was SpaceX able to do it cheaper, but you are claiming that it is cleaner too?

Truth is, NASA has to abide by the Clean Air Act as a government entity which tightened even more in the late 2000's along with budget cuts. It is very expensive to launch environmentally friendlier rocket fuel into the air. So most non essential space flights stopped due to budget reductions.

However, since Elon lobbied to keep emissions out of the commercial space act, he does not have to abide by such rules and therefor it is much cheaper for him to shoot rockets into space which allowed SpaceX to be profitable for many years according to their president.

Let me repeat, I'm not playing least you'll get offended should I say you have reading comprehension issues and hearing voices (or, reading something that I did not write).

So, I hope this will my last response to your irrelevant post.

Again, this is about semis or related EV technology.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Trusting your numbers.... each car is 4 tones/yr and a launch is 400 tones. A launch would seem to be equivalent to 100 cars/yr vs 87 million. What is the additional multiplier?

Sorry, that is actually 400 metric tons of kerosene based on the link below, not actual CO2. I was using two different calculators when doing the total math and typed the wrong thing.

"Upon reaching orbit, the world’s heaviest operational rocket will have burned about 400 metric tons of kerosene and emitted more carbon dioxide in a few minutes than an average car would in more than two centuries. That kind of shock to the atmosphere is stoking concerns about the effect that launching into orbit has on Earth, and it’s about to get worse."

Can we get to space without damaging the Earth through huge carbon emissions?

Of course this also does not take into account the CO2 emitted to slow the rocket as it lands back on earth.
I did not see the comparison to vehicles in that article.

I think a typical 22mpg car would burn 3,272 pounds of fuel in a year to go 12,000 miles. That is about 1.5 metric Tonnes.

So assuming the fuels emit the same CO2 it takes 2,666 cars to burn 4,000 metric tonnes in a year. OK maybe round up to 4,000 vehicles because rocket fuel is worse.

I believe Tesla produces over 1,000 cars per day.

Would it be better if some other company made and launched rockets? Or should these other companies produce more electric vehicles?

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle, here is the rest of the story to the image you posted...really got me interested how it could have crashed into an already turned on it's side truck

Was wondering if it was or wasn't in auto pilot moce

Tesla Model 3 Drives Straight Into Overt........ck In What Seems To Be Autopilot Failure
and this one from the opposite angle...brake lights didn't come on from what I can see

https://twitter.com/jsin86524368/status/1267305509297758209

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Well if you were truly interested in rocket pollution you would be comparing levels of Russian rockets, Indian rockets, Chinese rockets, NASA rockets, Boeing rockets, SpaceX rockets.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Have you 5 really been arguing for 570...sorry, 571 pages??

Yup...make it 572 pages! Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 593  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.