Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 614  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like Rivian delaying till summer 2021 which should be very close to Cybertruck. I think they will be duking it out to the end for who hits the street first. I noted they are saying that it will only have a 160 kw max charging rate. That seems way low to me. I wouldnt be surprised if that changes before it hits the street as Cybertruck will be 250 kw.

Time will tell.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/24/rivian-delays-electric-pickup-summer-2021/

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/24/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max charging rate is a bit of an over hyped specification. Max rate is only for a few minutes at very low state of charge with perfect temperature conditions. Far better would be the minimum charge rate to 90%.

Besides plenty of public charging stations are much lower. Although Tesla network is in process to be upgraded.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Max charging rate is a bit of an over hyped specification. Max rate is only for a few minutes at very low state of charge with perfect temperature conditions. Far better would be the minimum charge rate to 90%.

Besides plenty of public charging stations are much lower. Although Tesla network is in process to be upgraded.


That is true. If over 80 percent state of charge then a 250 kw Supercharger is pretty much the same as a 50 kw chademo site using the adapter hooked up to the Chademo adapter shown here on our car at a chademo site.

[image]

However, we find ourselves either thru planning or bladder control running our battery in that 25 to 70 percent range most of the time. We start the day with 100 percent and first break tends to end up at about the 50 to 60 percent due to both a full bladder (for us and Chihuahua) and the need for a starbucks refill. When you are in that 25 to 70 percent range the charge speed is really quite quick especially if one remembers to navigate to the Supercharger so that the car pre-conditions the battery for max charge. Honestly we have done a number of road trips now and I can't remember spending more than 20 minutes at a Supercharger. Many times it is 10 or 12 minutes if just a pee brake. But thats us. Others have better (younger) bladders and can go 4 hours at a shot. That ain't us. 3 hours max...if starting with a starbucks. [emoticon] We also tend to only travel 600 or 700 km per day max. Preferably 600. [emoticon]

BenK

SF BayArea

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2002

View Profile



Posted: 07/24/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tusk had a couple of my quality engineers and managers working for him

During the Model 3 initial build...there were many, many quality issues that these guys tried to point out to the product design teams (AKA Tusk, as he micromanaged everything)

From outdoor storage of material waiting for supplier authorization to return...waiting for rework orders so they could be sent out to 3rd party fabricators, to robotic issues (most famous was the bolt that they could NOT insert...even humans could NOT insert them into the stack up of parts...boils down to the lack of hard tooling and true positioning in the design...he even mandated someone to go out and grind a tapper on that bolts end...several tries until it would work 'good enough'...then he countermanded my guy and insisted they were good enough to ship with hand ground tappered bolts...that continued for months)

My guy didn't like the transition area between the hard-walled assembly line building to the tent because there was about 50 feet without any environmental protection...okay during the summer, but when the rains came...they scrambled to build a soft covering

Tusk blew a gasket when a sub-panel didn't fit (again an issue hard tooling and true positioning would have solved...or never would have become a problem) and his fix was a zip-tie and that went into production

My guys quit and much happier

Also ran a couple research teams working on cyro cooling (we invented a solid state compressor...think AC compressor...with no moving parts) for super computing. After we all were laid off...one team was hired by Tusk to help design the cooling system for Model S

A constant argument and finally they either quit or fired. Know why Model S has thermal problems and why Model 3 doesn't...3 has most all of my guys design recommendations incorporated in a fashion...there still Model S weaknesses due to Tusk decisions cutting corners

As for the JD Powers report/ranking...anything anyone can say negative or positive about any of the OEMs applies to all of those OEMs...it is their product owners who responded....both lovers and haters of that OEM...

Edit...latest news is that the majority of other EV OEMs has chosen another charging architecture...a Beta vs VHS situation...


time2roll wrote:

We need a similar list for Semi tractors to keep this on the correct subject.

Ben, Just because Tesla is an asterisk tagged on at the end of the list should not be reason to say Elon is not concerned about quality. Why is Tesla not really even part of the list? Improvement will come in time even if they never make the top.

Dodge and GM at the top is a bit of a red flag about validity to me.



-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:






Edit...latest news is that the majority of other EV OEMs has chosen another charging architecture...a Beta vs VHS situation...


time2roll wrote:

We need a similar list for Semi tractors to keep this on the correct subject.

Ben, Just because Tesla is an asterisk tagged on at the end of the list should not be reason to say Elon is not concerned about quality. Why is Tesla not really even part of the list? Improvement will come in time even if they never make the top.

Dodge and GM at the top is a bit of a red flag about validity to me.


Ben I would like to hear more about this new charging architecture. I'm only aware of the 4 architectures.

Chinese GBT/Chademo which is unique to china. Also evolving

Chademo which is Japanese and some korean brands but is slowly fading away as Nissan leaf is the last car to be made with this protocol. Nissans new Arriya will be CCS.

CCS which is common among european, North American and Korean manufacturers.

Tesla which uses the same plug for AC and DC charging.


Should note that Teslas are also compatible with CCS and Chademo through adapters. (CCS in europe and Chademo in North America)
Some non Tesla fast charge facilities like EVGO are adding Tesla plugs as well. (Essentially a built in Chademo adapter)

The only other common standard is J1772 for level 2 AC charging. Tesla is also compatible with this standard.

Ben are you saying there is yet another standard or architecture being developed? I haven't heard anything about it.

On edit. Maybe I have. I know the Chinese and Japanese are updating the Chademo standard together as they want to be able to do car to grid. But this has been going on for a couple years. This may be what you are referring to. I don't hink it will have any effect on Europe or North America though. JMHO

* This post was edited 07/24/20 04:37pm by Reisender *

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/24/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Tusk had a couple of my quality engineers and managers working for him

During the Model 3 initial build...there were many, many quality issues that these guys tried to point out to the product design teams (AKA Tusk, as he micromanaged everything)

From outdoor storage of material waiting for supplier authorization to return...waiting for rework orders so they could be sent out to 3rd party fabricators, to robotic issues (most famous was the bolt that they could NOT insert...even humans could NOT insert them into the stack up of parts...boils down to the lack of hard tooling and true positioning in the design...he even mandated someone to go out and grind a tapper on that bolts end...several tries until it would work 'good enough'...then he countermanded my guy and insisted they were good enough to ship with hand ground tappered bolts...that continued for months)

My guy didn't like the transition area between the hard-walled assembly line building to the tent because there was about 50 feet without any environmental protection...okay during the summer, but when the rains came...they scrambled to build a soft covering

Tusk blew a gasket when a sub-panel didn't fit (again an issue hard tooling and true positioning would have solved...or never would have become a problem) and his fix was a zip-tie and that went into production

My guys quit and much happier

Also ran a couple research teams working on cyro cooling (we invented a solid state compressor...think AC compressor...with no moving parts) for super computing. After we all were laid off...one team was hired by Tusk to help design the cooling system for Model S

A constant argument and finally they either quit or fired. Know why Model S has thermal problems and why Model 3 doesn't...3 has most all of my guys design recommendations incorporated in a fashion...there still Model S weaknesses due to Tusk decisions cutting corners

As for the JD Powers report/ranking...anything anyone can say negative or positive about any of the OEMs applies to all of those OEMs...it is their product owners who responded....both lovers and haters of that OEM...

Edit...latest news is that the majority of other EV OEMs has chosen another charging architecture...a Beta vs VHS situation...


time2roll wrote:

We need a similar list for Semi tractors to keep this on the correct subject.

Ben, Just because Tesla is an asterisk tagged on at the end of the list should not be reason to say Elon is not concerned about quality. Why is Tesla not really even part of the list? Improvement will come in time even if they never make the top.

Dodge and GM at the top is a bit of a red flag about validity to me.
OK getting prototypes into production before Tesla was BK was the priority. Should Elon still be working to perfect the quality of the Model 3 before it is built at this point? I am sorry your buddies did not always agree with Elon.

Much has improved and will continue improving. I disagree about no focus on quality.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

BenK wrote:

Tusk had a couple of my quality engineers and managers working for him

During the Model 3 initial build...there were many, many quality issues that these guys tried to point out to the product design teams (AKA Tusk, as he micromanaged everything)

From outdoor storage of material waiting for supplier authorization to return...waiting for rework orders so they could be sent out to 3rd party fabricators, to robotic issues (most famous was the bolt that they could NOT insert...even humans could NOT insert them into the stack up of parts...boils down to the lack of hard tooling and true positioning in the design...he even mandated someone to go out and grind a tapper on that bolts end...several tries until it would work 'good enough'...then he countermanded my guy and insisted they were good enough to ship with hand ground tappered bolts...that continued for months)

My guy didn't like the transition area between the hard-walled assembly line building to the tent because there was about 50 feet without any environmental protection...okay during the summer, but when the rains came...they scrambled to build a soft covering

Tusk blew a gasket when a sub-panel didn't fit (again an issue hard tooling and true positioning would have solved...or never would have become a problem) and his fix was a zip-tie and that went into production

My guys quit and much happier

Also ran a couple research teams working on cyro cooling (we invented a solid state compressor...think AC compressor...with no moving parts) for super computing. After we all were laid off...one team was hired by Tusk to help design the cooling system for Model S

A constant argument and finally they either quit or fired. Know why Model S has thermal problems and why Model 3 doesn't...3 has most all of my guys design recommendations incorporated in a fashion...there still Model S weaknesses due to Tusk decisions cutting corners

As for the JD Powers report/ranking...anything anyone can say negative or positive about any of the OEMs applies to all of those OEMs...it is their product owners who responded....both lovers and haters of that OEM...

Edit...latest news is that the majority of other EV OEMs has chosen another charging architecture...a Beta vs VHS situation...


time2roll wrote:

We need a similar list for Semi tractors to keep this on the correct subject.

Ben, Just because Tesla is an asterisk tagged on at the end of the list should not be reason to say Elon is not concerned about quality. Why is Tesla not really even part of the list? Improvement will come in time even if they never make the top.

Dodge and GM at the top is a bit of a red flag about validity to me.
OK getting prototypes into production before Tesla was BK was the priority. Should Elon still be working to perfect the quality of the Model 3 before it is built at this point? I am sorry your buddies did not always agree with Elon.

Much has improved and will continue improving. I disagree about no focus on quality.


I think model 3 S and X quality issues are minimal. But I think the model Y has some hurdles to overcome yet. There are very few model Y's driving around here but according to some in the local EV club some of the new Y owners have had some issues.

After 3 months or so we are happy to report no issues except a squeaky dash when the AC was on. We put in a ticket on the App and Tesla sent someone to fix it a couple weeks later. They also checked some camera issue that triggered their remote diagnostics but went away on a software update before the tech got here.

Kinda interesting. The Tesla rangers use model S's that have been modified to function as service vans. Kinda cool. Long rolling trays like we have in the basement of the coach. Frunk all organised for parts etc. They need to develop a van like the mercedes panel van. [emoticon]

Kudos to Tesla here. I have never had a warranty call come to my door. [emoticon]

[image]

BenK

SF BayArea

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2002

View Profile



Posted: 07/24/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point...that is part of what proto-types are for........bout.......those were production units and were sold to the public

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

They need to develop a van like the mercedes panel van. [emoticon]


Looks like they prefer to use others’ vans. I took this picture for the irony being a gas station and all:

[image]

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Reisender wrote:

They need to develop a van like the mercedes panel van. [emoticon]


Looks like they prefer to use others’ vans. I took this picture for the irony being a gas station and all:

[image]


Nice. But I don't think that one is electric. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 614  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.