Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 126  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I think we might be able to exceed the specs we unveiled last year too, which is pretty exciting,” Musk said. “And there was speculation that we wouldn’t meet them. I think we’re going to exceed them.”

Elon Musk Offers New Tesla Semi Truck Predictions

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8.1 Van wrote:

“I think we might be able to exceed the specs we unveiled last year too, which is pretty exciting,” Musk said. “And there was speculation that we wouldn’t meet them. I think we’re going to exceed them.”

Elon Musk Offers New Tesla Semi Truck Predictions

Just following the scuttlebut on TMC I would think that the first custumers for the semi will be Tesla itself running cargo between the two factories. Vegas to Freemont and back. Uphill one way, downhill the other. Good real world workout. The distance is a bit long so maybe a 10 or 15 minute top up a a megacharger in the Baker Supercharger site. The one side of the Baker Supercharger looks like it could have a single access truck charge for company trucks. We’ll be swinging by there next week. We have fuelled the Motorhome in Baker before. It’s a given that Freemont needs battery packs from the gigafactory but I’m not sure what they would ship back. I’m sure the gigafactory needs something from the coast though. It will be interesting to see how they deploy the test trucks.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John, wrong highway, Fremont to Gigafactory is on I80. Roseville, Rocklin or Truckee for existing SC sites. Did you happen to read the thread about taking an Airstream FB 22 over this route with a Model X with the small battery? He started in Half Moon Bay on the coast full charge. Went 40-50 miles to Dublin service center and was able to use their private supercharger. Left and made it to Roseville instead of Rocklin 110 miles or so from Dublin. 20 minutes charge got him to his campground east of Auburn. Interesting point was you have to unhitch to fit in the charge stalls the one that could handle pull thru had a solar roof that was only 9 ft clearance, oops. Charged off the 50 amp circuit all night and left full. Headed for Truckee 78 miles away, virtually all uphill to Donner Summit. He said he was the slowest vehicle on the highway on the uphills due to battery anxiety. Crossed the summit with 17 mile range left. To me the interesting point is that when he entered the supercharger in Truckee he 17 miles left. To me regenerative braking is not the magic bullet some make it out to be, that is a pretty good downhill and it sounds like a 1 for 1 swap. Very cool technology but not something that could figure in to the range equation.

I think that the Semi has to be able to do Fremont to Gigafactory non stop to be credible. It’s only about 240 miles. Yes it has mountains but the majority is flat or downhill both directions.

Like the Zen master said, we’ll see.

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

John, wrong highway, Fremont to Gigafactory is on I80. Roseville, Rocklin or Truckee for existing SC sites. Did you happen to read the thread about taking an Airstream FB 22 over this route with a Model X with the small battery? He started in Half Moon Bay on the coast full charge. Went 40-50 miles to Dublin service center and was able to use their private supercharger. Left and made it to Roseville instead of Rocklin 110 miles or so from Dublin. 20 minutes charge got him to his campground east of Auburn. Interesting point was you have to unhitch to fit in the charge stalls the one that could handle pull thru had a solar roof that was only 9 ft clearance, oops. Charged off the 50 amp circuit all night and left full. Headed for Truckee 78 miles away, virtually all uphill to Donner Summit. He said he was the slowest vehicle on the highway on the uphills due to battery anxiety. Crossed the summit with 17 mile range left. To me the interesting point is that when he entered the supercharger in Truckee he 17 miles left. To me regenerative braking is not the magic bullet some make it out to be, that is a pretty good downhill and it sounds like a 1 for 1 swap. Very cool technology but not something that could figure in to the range equation.

I think that the Semi has to be able to do Fremont to Gigafactory non stop to be credible. It’s only about 240 miles. Yes it has mountains but the majority is flat or downhill both directions.

Like the Zen master said, we’ll see.

Ahhhh. OK. I just looked on a map to follow the route you laid out. Interesting. I was off in the tulies somewhere. I don't know enough about the truck to form any conclusions but I would think that would be the route they want to make the truck work for. Elon was the one who said they would be there own first customers so this would be the route to make it work for. Really no idea. Maybe they will configure car carriers to deliver S X and 3's although that is more of a long haul route and with no Megachargers in place...idunno.

Yah I didn't read that article on the airstream. I have read a couple others but that one sounds more detailed. If you still have the link handy I would be interested in reading it. I kinda like reading about the adventures of first adapters on stuff like this. When we first got our Leaf we would go on Sunday drives that were kind of out of the range of 1st generation leaf. We would use our plugshare app and plot out routes that looked interesting. Where we live there are tons of secondary highways with 60 to 80 KMH speed limits. It is amazing how much longer range you get by slowing down. Not practical for a commute but fun for a Sunday drive. Really not what a first generation leaf was designed for but a fun way to burn off a sunday, do a little hiking, bring a lunch in cooler plugged into the car In just a few years the charging infrastructure has improved so much that its no longer a challenge on many of those routes but it was fun. We are so busy in the summer we only have one day a week to get out so longer drives and new challenges are not something we can do right now. By the time we retire and get the Leafs replacement all the routes we want to travel will be all covered off with charging infrastructure and the new cars will have double the range (they actually pretty much already do). Every month the gaps get smaller. Now towing a trailer might make it interesting again. If we do tow a trailer though it would be something like the Aliner. Something small and fun to get out for four or five days during the week when the campgrounds are quiet. Tesla is the only car coming out with a trailer hitch but people are putting them on leafs aftermarket. As you said, well see. [emoticon]

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting article on infrastructure build out in Germany. 10 years ago no one in Germany would have ever thought that American sport sedans would be replacing Mercedes and BMW's on the Autobahns. Interesting.

The one ady refers to the handful of different network pass cards an EV driver needs. I can attest to this. We have cards from at least 5 charge companies in our card holder. Semaconnect, chargepoint, Flo, EVGO, Greenlots....and there is more. Good for competition though. We keep about 20 bucks credit on most so it is just a swipe of the card or the phone APP.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/........nally-replacing-porsches-on-the-autobahn

* This post was edited 02/13/18 08:56am by John & Angela *

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/18 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla delays good news for GM

Bolts are selling well.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Tesla delays good news for GM

Bolts are selling well.

It’s helping Nissan as well. The new generation Leaf is filtering into showrooms now and every one sells pretty much the same day.

Although the Bolt is nowhere near the car that the Tesla is, it is available now, and for those who timed replacing their car now it is the only option. Previous Tesla owners get dibs on the model three even if they just go on the list now. If you decide you want a model three today you are at least two years from getting it.

Right now Tesla builds about 420 cars per day of which about 140 per day are model 3’s. (That is based on a 7 day week for simple math). That 140 needs to go to 600 per day by mid summer. Tough grind.

A lot of model three reservists have just thrown in the towel and bought a model S. there is almost no inventory of model S’s anywhere. Good problems to have I suppose.

The new Leaf is getting great reviews. More of a mid range commuter car though. Hoping to do a test drive next month.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Angela wrote:

A lot of model three reservists have just thrown in the towel and bought a model S. there is almost no inventory of model S’s anywhere. Good problems to have I suppose.
Selling something far below the cost of producing it is NOT a good problem to have.

Just about ANY company could do the same with any product and enjoy strong demand.

If the product is good enough, then it SHOULD sell for enough to turn a profit.

The way Tesla is going, Elon might as well fill the trunks of the cars with hundred dollar bills as they leave the factory.

If he were charging the TRUE cost of the car.... I bet the demand would go away.

But so long as Elon can continue to work his spell on investors by painting a optimistic future of ever changing and expanding dreams, he can continue to lose money.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Elon doesn’t care. He just wants the world to shift to electric transportation.
He can lose a few hundred million. That’s fine, he can afford it. THATS a good problem to have.

Elon’s genius is he makes GOOD electric cars. He makes you WANT one of his cars.
Every other electric car is a dorky pile of junk that you only buy because you want to go electric, you sure don’t buy them because they’re your favorite car.
Tesla’s cars are actually better than the gas competition in a lot of ways and people WANT to drive one. They aren’t making a sacrifice to go electric, they’re stepping UP to a Tesla.
One ride in a P100 D will shatter your world. A big comfortable docile everyday luxury car, that will embarrasss a new Corvette without even making any noise.
I want one. They just cost too much

99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.
This is how they should have built them!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 126  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS