Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 600  
Prev  |  Next
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

I wonder how much NOx, PM, and CO these RP-1 (kerosene/diesel) rockets put in the air and why Elon does not spend the extra money on the hydrogen rockets NASA uses since they put out hardly any pollution.

I don't have a link, but I thought I had read that older style rockets used by SpaceX have more control of thrust and result in the ability to land and reuse the rocket.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The extra cost would be passed on to the federal government. Not reduce Space-X profit.

Reusing the rocket boosters is a first and must save something in emissions vs producing them new for each launch.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then you also have the need to even go into space. If our environment and CO2 levels are as bad as they claim, then should we even be allowing space rockets for profit? If a typical gas engine that gets 22 mpg puts out 4.6 metric tones of carbon per year, then the 200-400 metric tones that these kerosene rockets put out would be the equivalent pollution of 43-87 million cars.

So either it is not as bad as some are claiming or Elon just doesn't care about the environment like he says he does. This is why I think it is hypocritical that Elons other company receives money from carbon credit for building just a few hundred thousand electric cars per year while his other company is putting the equivalent of tens of millions of cars in just one launch. Elon is like the rolling coal diesel brothers of the rocket world, but wayyyyyyy worse for the environment.

And people with diesels have to have emissions devices to save less than .25 metric tones per year versus not having them. Go figure....

* This post was edited 06/01/20 10:23am by ShinerBock *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trusting your numbers.... each car is 4 tones/yr and a launch is 400 tones. A launch would seem to be equivalent to 100 cars/yr vs 87 million. What is the additional multiplier?

* This post was edited 06/01/20 11:23am by time2roll *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Trusting your numbers.... each car is 4 tones/yr and a launch is 400 tones. A launch would seem to be equivalent to 100 cars/yr vs 87 million. What is the additional multiplier?

And the comparative economics (financial and CO2 emissions) should start from extraction of raw materials, building the rocket, fuel etc. into scrapping between a single-use and multiple-use rockets.

Dang, and my dream is only. for an earth-bound Cybertruck trailer-puller or a semi converted RV.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hell, I'm just wondering where the Semi is?

I was promised on here by some fan bois that the Semi was going to be in the customers hands by last year. By last year!

Not only is it not in the customers hands there is no factory to build it in.

There isn't even a test prototype out.

What about the 3 row Y? Remember when Elon said the Y will be able to hold 3 rows of adults? I do!

What about all the ventilators Elon was going to supply? Where are those?

And what happen to the transporter shortage? Remember when Elon bought all of those transporters? I do! Where are they?

And what happened to the "1 million robotaxies by the end of 2020?" Come on Tusk. You said all the cars have the hardware. You just need to upload the software to make it happen. Well? Make it happen!

I can't wait for Tesla FSD cars!
[image]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Hell, I'm just wondering where the Semi is?

I was promised on here by some fan bois that the Semi was going to be in the customers hands by last year. By last year!

Not only is it not in the customers hands there is no factory to build it in.

There isn't even a test prototype out.

What about the 3 row Y? Remember when Elon said the Y will be able to hold 3 rows of adults? I do!

What about all the ventilators Elon was going to supply? Where are those?

And what happen to the transporter shortage? Remember when Elon bought all of those transporters? I do! Where are they?

And what happened to the "1 million robotaxies by the end of 2020?" Come on Tusk. You said all the cars have the hardware. You just need to upload the software to make it happen. Well? Make it happen!

I can't wait for Tesla FSD cars!
[image]

I thought someone already told you Tesla is not for you and you should stick to your horse-drawn carriage, lol.[emoticon]

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Sorry, that is actually 400 metric tons of kerosene based on the link below, not actual CO2. I was using two different calculators when doing the total math and typed the wrong thing.

"Upon reaching orbit, the world’s heaviest operational rocket will have burned about 400 metric tons of kerosene and emitted more carbon dioxide in a few minutes than an average car would in more than two centuries. That kind of shock to the atmosphere is stoking concerns about the effect that launching into orbit has on Earth, and it’s about to get worse."

Can we get to space without damaging the Earth through huge carbon emissions?

Of course this also does not take into account the CO2 emitted to slow the rocket as it lands back on earth.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Sorry, that is actually 400 metric tons of kerosene based on the link below, not actual CO2. I was using two different calculators when doing the total math and typed the wrong thing.

"Upon reaching orbit, the world’s heaviest operational rocket will have burned about 400 metric tons of kerosene and emitted more carbon dioxide in a few minutes than an average car would in more than two centuries. That kind of shock to the atmosphere is stoking concerns about the effect that launching into orbit has on Earth, and it’s about to get worse."

Of course this also does not take into account the CO2 emitted to slow the rocket as it lands back on earth.

I repeat from below.

And the comparative economics (financial and CO2 emissions) should start from extraction of raw materials, building the rocket, fuel etc. into scrapping between a single-use and multiple-use rockets.

The comparison should also be made between rocket and another rocket, not rocket with oranges or apples.[emoticon]

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I repeat from below.

The comparison should also be made between rocket and another rocket, not rocket with oranges or apples.[emoticon]

And I repeat from above, if things are as bad as they say environmentally, then should we really be blasting off rockets that put out more CO2 in a few minutes than the average car would in over two centuries just for profit? My point was never to compare the two, it was to ask if we should be doing it in the first place since many BEV fans are saying that the environment is so bad already. It must not be that bad of shape if you don't mind rockets being blasted into the air just for monetary gain. Now they are taling about doing 1,000 launches a year.

I guess if some other company emits CO2 for profit then they are evil, but if Elon does it then he is a god. huh....[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 600  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.