Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Anyone planning to buy an iPhone X?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Anyone planning to buy an iPhone X?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jrobe

Eau Claire, WI

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/17 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered an Iphone X.

I also own a Mac Book Air laptop that is 6-7 years old and works exactly like new. It cost twice as much as a cheap Windows laptop at the time but has lasted twice as long as any laptop I have ever owned in the past. I also own an iPad that is 6 years old and works exactly like new. I could sell both of them for a good price on Ebay and they would sell almost instantly. They are the cheapest computers I ever owned when you factor in the longevity and resale value.

Every prior iPhone I have owned was the same. They worked perfect the entire time i owned them and maintained good resale value As soon as I get my new iPhone, I will sell my iPhone 6 that works perfect for a good price to help pay for my new phone.

I could make similar arguments for other things that i have bought when I bought the highest quality option instead of the cheapest alternative. I recently sold my 10 year old Lexus RX after 150,000 miles with absolutely no repairs. It had great resale value.

Sometimes buying cheap ends up being more expensive in the long run.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/17 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I paid 6,000.00 for a Mac Laptop that was obsolete inside of 13 months. I paid 1300.00 for an Everex windows laptop that lasted for 7 years.

The Mac was the most expensive laptop I every owned and was the shortest service I ever had.

I can still run legacy software from 1990 on my windows computers. Mac does not satisfy that need at all.

As for phones I'm using a Samsung S4 from 2012 which still runs everything I use on it with no "bumps" in the night. It has the original battery and when the battery does die, I can replace it myself. Unlike the Iphone where the battery is not intended to be fixed--nor can you even buy a battery from apple for an Iphone from 2012.
jrobe wrote:

I also own a Mac Book Air laptop that is 6-7 years old and works exactly like new. It cost twice as much as a cheap Windows laptop at the time but has lasted twice as long as any laptop I have ever owned in the past. I also own an iPad that is 6 years old and works exactly like new. I could sell both of them for a good price on Ebay and they would sell almost instantly. They are the cheapest computers I ever owned when you factor in the longevity and resale value.

Every prior iPhone I have owned was the same. They worked perfect the entire time i owned them and maintained good resale value As soon as I get my new iPhone, I will sell my iPhone 6 that works perfect for a good price to help pay for my new phone.

I could make similar arguments for other things that i have bought when I bought the highest quality option instead of the cheapest alternative. I recently sold my 10 year old Lexus RX after 150,000 miles with absolutely no repairs. It had great resale value.

Sometimes buying cheap ends up being more expensive in the long run.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/17 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

but Mr. tuna, you don't own a status symbol. how can your ego survive?
bumpy

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/17 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, but I call baloney on this claim..........

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I paid 6,000.00 for a Mac Laptop that was obsolete inside of 13 months.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/17 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulcardoza wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I paid 6,000.00 for a Mac Laptop that was obsolete inside of 13 months.

what do you question? the $6,000? I spent $4,000 for a Dell so an overpriced mac surely could hit 6K.
obsolete? didn't they change their operating system and render everything obsolete?
bumpy

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/17 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As to the original question, while I am not buying an iPhone X, zillions of folks stood in line for more than 24 hours to get their hands on the latest and greatest. I consider these folks as either morons or entrepreneurs (buy it and sell them on E-Bay).

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/17 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope. I have a 5S my daughter gave me when she went to the 6 and I don't know how to use all the features on the 5S!

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/17 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

As to the original question, while I am not buying an iPhone X, zillions of folks stood in line for more than 24 hours to get their hands on the latest and greatest. I consider these folks as either morons or entrepreneurs (buy it and sell them on E-Bay).

X2

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/17 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My $7 Android smartphone is still plenty good for me. The tax alone on the iPhone X is $80. I feel like I'm $1,000 richer now that the X has been released. (actually $1,080)

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 12:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulcardoza wrote:

Yep...me too. I am an electrical engineer and at our company we have a mixture of Macs and Windows and Linux based PCs. The Mac laptops are the longest lasting, most durable machines of them all. I bought a MACBook Air for myself and I boot it up in Windows half the time. I bought it for the quality of the hardware.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Anyone planning to buy an iPhone X?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS