Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Alternatives to lack of storage space
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Alternatives to lack of storage space

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
photobug

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting ready to embark on an extended road trip shortly. Being both a class c and not an overly large one, I've been having concerns of storing all the stuff I anticipate needing. Biggest issue is the spare tire. I've seen some that say they don't need one. I'd rather not do a several thousand mile trip without, but the normal place where they stored it was in the under the bed storage place and that takes up a lot of room that could be used for other stuff. Other things taking up room are 2 inflatable kayaks, portable clothes washer, eu2000 + gas, external canopy and chairs, roller blades, wife's shoes. You get the idea. My 3 ideas would be roof mount, which is 10' up and difficult to access with heavy items, a rear bumper cargo mount, which would displace the bike rack, or getting a small enclosed trailer to haul all that stuff. I'm kind of liking the idea of a small trailer except for the part about actually towing something. Parking and backing up would be more limited. Does anyone use a small trailer like the wells cargo service wagon? What would I look for, and how do they handle being pulled down the freeway? I'd need one big enough to put all the above mentioned stuff plus a couple of bicycles since I'd be using the tow hitch for towing instead of holding the bike rack.

1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

PghBob

Pittsburgh PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/17 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't tow, so I cannot provide any detailed info on trailers. But, one thing I picked up from those that do tow is to be sure you stick to the speed rating on the trailer's tires. You may not be able to travel as fast as you are used to.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front bumper mounted spare tire carrier. Just be sure to leave enough room for airflow and to open and service under the hood [emoticon]

It is noticeable, but not uncommon.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a small Kendon motorcycle trailer, bike and trailer weigh 900#, behind my 24' Class C and it tows like a dream {8,000+miles this year alone}. Not only can I not see it, I can't even to begin to feel it back there. When it is time to backup {which I generally avoid where possible}, it is a PITA being a short single axle trailer but still quite doable. I put a set of Maxxis' on it, never exceed their 65 mph rating and carry a spare {13"}, for the trailer in my storage bay and have always carried all of the tools necessary to change either a coach or trailer tire.

The rear camera gives me a great view of the trailer when in reverse but being an older/simpler camera it does not display while driving down the road. If I did not enjoy riding my Harley so much I probably would not pull any trailer as it robs me of the 24' overall length that we sought when buying our Class C and leaves us at just under 35'.

I had Nexus weld a custom spare tire mount up under the rear overhang of the coach and this has worked very well. The rear bumper is a poor location to bolt anything on and your hitch receiver isn't much better for a large load. You are correct in not wanting to travel without a spare, just asking for trouble.

[emoticon]

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pick up trucks have them up underneath, not easy to get to but still it's there, if and when you need it.
Portable clothes washer,interesting.....

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '98 Coachmen mounts the spare tire under the frame using a winch mechanism. I think this is a fairly standard Ford mechanism, and it or something similar should be not too hard to come by at a junkyard. There's a tubular shaft with a hex head on the end that reaches to the sidewall, with a little plastic cover over it. To raise or lower the spare, it's just a matter of spinning it about a zillion turns with a 20mm socket (I think it ends up being 20mm).

Beyond that, another option is to see about leaving some things behind...not popular, but perhaps doable. Do you have an awning such that the canopy could be done without? Can you do laundry at a laundromat? Do you have a built-in generator that could be used when needed instead of the Yamaha? These do all involve trade-offs, of course, but it may be less of a hassle (and expense) than towing a trailer.

Towing small trailers really isn't all that hard, however, provided they're set up decently well. Backing a short trailer with the motorhome and its relatively long rear overhang is a bit trickier, but far from impossible. Maybe if you'd generally find the trailer useful for other things it may be worthwhile to get.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/17 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is on the first reading of your post and assuming you really need all that equipment a real puzzlement to quote from the King and I.

You asked for our input regarding three choices and it seems you aren't really in favor of any of them. I will assume that this extended road trip is not the type of camping you bought your rig for and normally do, that said, I think the simplest solutions are, either to leave a lot of stuff behind or rent a larger rig for the trip and leave your rig home.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on an undercarriage mounted spare mount. They are easy to find in junkyards, however removal is often not easy. E-trailer also has a universal undercarriage mount.

A hitch rack with some weather-resistant totes is another option for gear you don't use daily. Finally, whenever I've rented C's, the overhead bunk is where we stored all the ski totes during travel. It's a space not normally used while driving, and helps keep the weight distribution forward.

That all said... pulling a trailer isn't hard, and you'll figure out backing soon enough (although, small trailers are harder to back the big trailers), and can provide an enclosed outdoor spare to use as a work or gear setup area.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

Front bumper mounted spare tire carrier.

I prefer REAR bumper mount.

But if the OEM location is under the rear carriage, that doesn't really take up any usable storage space. You just have to test the "release mechanism" a couple of times a year to be sure the nuts/bolts etc. haven't rusted shut.

As for the original question:

This is CAMPING, right ?? Not for a lot of people apparently.

The best way to solve the storage problem is: take a LOT less "stuff". The first thing that caught my eye was the "portable clothes washer". That is what laundromats are for.

And really, unless you are running a marathon or cleaning fish, you really don't have to put on a whole clean outfit every day (extra underwear is nice though).

As for other stuff that you MIGHT need......if WalMart sells it, you don't NEED to take it with you.

Get the idea ?? If some part of your family just can't bear to "rough it" then maybe the "camper" wasn't such a good idea.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/17 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would lighten the load...a LOT.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Alternatives to lack of storage space
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS