Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Motorcycle on 5ver.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Motorcycle on 5ver.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/17 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AFChief_and_Pilot wrote:

There is another possible solution ... google "swivelwheel" ... it's a carrier that does it differently than direct lifts or trailers.

https://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel
Like an IdahoTote, is considered a trailer in some states, probably most AFATG.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/17 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Anybody tried carrying an 800 lb motorcycle on the back of their 5ver? How did it work? I am wanting to build a hydraulic lift for mine
dCarry a Harely, if it falls off you haven't really lost that much.

So big a world, so little time to see.

tinner12002

Lafayette Ind

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

tinner12002 wrote:

Just get a Idaho-tote, attaches to rear of RV and because of caster wheels on it, swings with the rv. Has a solid 3 point attachment.
And may not necessarily be legal in all states/provinces, since it may be viewed as an add-on trailer.

Not sure but I think that's what they say is that its legal in most states because of the way its mounted and not being pulled like a trailer. OP would just have to check it out and see. It was just a possible option.

2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

CWSWine

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/17 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tinner12002 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

tinner12002 wrote:

Just get a Idaho-tote, attaches to rear of RV and because of caster wheels on it, swings with the rv. Has a solid 3 point attachment.
And may not necessarily be legal in all states/provinces, since it may be viewed as an add-on trailer.

Not sure but I think that's what they say is that its legal in most states because of the way its mounted and not being pulled like a trailer. OP would just have to check it out and see. It was just a possible option.

In my state all you have to do is use bolts instead of pins to connect to the 5er and it becomes part of the 5er and does not have to have plates/vin nor is it titled as a trailer. My state even recommends that you attach the plate on the 5er to the back of the tote. Now I'm not sure how another state can say its trailer and requires plates, title and vin number when the state that register in doesn't issue one.

2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/17 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, but in Kansas if the trailer and load weigh less than 2000 lbs. you don't have to license them anyway.

CWSWine

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/17 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Idaho Dolly Site and I qoute

"The Idaho Tote is an extension of your motor coach or 5th wheel. Simply weld the provided attachment to your recreational vehicle and the Idaho Tote easily bolts right on! You cannot jackknife … It does not sway …"

Plus it has a GVWR of 3000 lbs.

Idaho Tote

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/17 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will they pay the fine if you get stopped and ticketed?

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/17 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a weight on the carrier....it's not too bad at 260 lbs but the hitch that I'm planning to build to carry the carrier is another 180 lbs plus the 800 or 850 for the bike and things are starting to get heavy. It could be a total of 1290 lbs....yikes. The likelyhood of adding an axle is growing. With some more accurate numbers it looks like the pin weight will be more like 1300 lbs....it's going to be 1/2 ton towable by the time I'm done with it.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

chag67

Montgomery, AL

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/17 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've briefly looked into the Idaho tote after getting my fiver. The immediate issue for me is that I am a full timer and my fiver is 38' long now. Adding another 5 feet will make it even more difficult for finding some spots to accommodate the new length. I also don't like the idea of not being able to remove the Idaho tote when I don't want to use it for some camping trips. For now, I am not going to take my motorcycle (850 lb full bagger/cruiser) but that might change if I decide to go out towards the Black Hills.

2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/17 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled a swivelwheel-type trailer for a few years behind my 35' 5th wheel. It wasn't bad at all, but I wouldn't want to do it behind anything any bigger. It adds quite a bit of rear swing to the trailer.

As for the removing too much weight from the pin...there was a poster on here who had severe handling issues with his unloaded toyhauler. When he pulled it loaded it was fine, but unloaded he had severe sway issues. It finally was returned to the builder to be modified so he could have more pin weight when unloaded.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Motorcycle on 5ver.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS