Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Motorcycle on 5ver.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Motorcycle on 5ver.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/17 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I pulled a swivelwheel-type trailer for a few years behind my 35' 5th wheel. It wasn't bad at all, but I wouldn't want to do it behind anything any bigger. It adds quite a bit of rear swing to the trailer.

As for the removing too much weight from the pin...there was a poster on here who had severe handling issues with his unloaded toyhauler. When he pulled it loaded it was fine, but unloaded he had severe sway issues. It finally was returned to the builder to be modified so he could have more pin weight when unloaded.

Were the toys carried in the front?

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/17 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

I pulled a swivelwheel-type trailer for a few years behind my 35' 5th wheel. It wasn't bad at all, but I wouldn't want to do it behind anything any bigger. It adds quite a bit of rear swing to the trailer.

As for the removing too much weight from the pin...there was a poster on here who had severe handling issues with his unloaded toyhauler. When he pulled it loaded it was fine, but unloaded he had severe sway issues. It finally was returned to the builder to be modified so he could have more pin weight when unloaded.

Were the toys carried in the front?
Oh man, talk about a brain phart! I totally got it backwards, it handled fine unloaded but when the toys were loaded and pin weight reduced the severe swaying started. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Glad you brought it to my attention.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little by little.......I'd like to get it done and ready for powder coating soon

* This post was edited 01/11/18 11:09pm by 4x4ord *

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am kind of pleased with my locking mechanism it works slicker than slick.

[image]

* This post was last edited 01/11/18 11:19pm by 4x4ord *   View edit history

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like it can lift a tape measure....

Test 1

* This post was edited 01/14/18 12:58am by 4x4ord *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YOU are da man!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks great!

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

dapperdan

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm VERY impressed with your workmanship! Your video looks great! With not incorporating hydraulics you've kept the weight down, very clever. I really like your safety latches too.

I agree with Cummins,"you da man!"

You could market that set up. [emoticon]

Dan

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the encouragement. I am quite pleased with the way it is turning out so far, however, I am taking my time building this thing. Yesterday I spent hours just fabricating the pulley blocks. Right now I am second guessing my decision of buying a cheap Canadian Tire winch. Since purchasing this winch I have been reading of other's who have had various problems with it. Saving $200 by purchasing a cheap winch won't feel worth it if I'm left screwing around somewhere trying to get six guys rounded up to manually raise the bike. ... or worse yet having it break and drop the bike on someone. I've asked for some advice on an ATV forum but I'm thinking the next step is going to be replacing the winch with a quality unit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Motorcycle on 5ver.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS