Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Dogs in RV parks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dogs in RV parks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/17 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In regards to dogs, most people seem to get it and do the best they can to obey the CG rules or rules of common decency. However there are always those that play by their own rules and the heck with you.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

mz-s

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

How many cats do you have? We have just one and if we’re going to be gone more than 10 Days we’ll take her with us. Otherwise a big bowl of dry cat food, automatic water bowl, and a large cat box and off we go. She is always happy to see us but tends to scold us when we get back. Cats are very self sufficient and could care less if we are there.

We have 3 so it's either a cat sitter if we're gone for more than 3 days or so, or take them with us. We have tried leaving out extra boxes - they still just use the few that are out all the time and leave the extras alone. We'd really prefer to travel with them if we're going to do the RV life. It will allow us to go on longer outings, plus they'd be company on the road.

Honestly, the cats coming with us are unrelated to the dog question since our cats aren't really spooked by dogs. One had a boxer living subservient to her for several months one summer.

We just don't enjoy having dogs bark all the time and have to deal with their leavings because their owners won't, or have them come up to us. My wife was attacked by a dog at a young age and has feared strange dogs her entire life. Doesn't matter how much the owner says "she's never hurt a fly".

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We FTd traveling place to place weekly for 7 yrs.
We have a dog.

We found FEW cases of folks NOT picking up after their PETS (dog or cat feces) and an occasional issue with a 'yapper' (typically those small dogs left alone sitting on the dash of MHs barking at everything in view)

Very small minority of non-compliance.

Surely NOT enough to cause panic, worry or stressing over.

BUT with cats...taking them for a 'dang' (walking on leash) YOU will have to be vigilant concerning 'dogs' being walked. Just beware ----

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

NanciL

Bakersville, NC,/Key Largo FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In twenty plus years of RV'ing there has not been one year that we have not heard a dog barking incessantly.
We have been lucky in that they were never next to us or across from us.
If they were I would be at the camp ground office in a heart beat.

Several years ago we bought our own RV site in a condo RV park in the Florida Keys, and last year there was a renter that was asked to leave after the third warning.
We found that there are quiet dogs, noisy dogs, threatening dogs, good dogs and bad dog owners.

There is always the ones that say my dog never barks when we leave it by itself, and then the minute they leave the dog barks until they come back.

The thing that gripes me the most is when they walk their dog away from their site and let it do it's business on my site. This happen all the time

We noticed when we walk around our RV park there is one guy that has a sign on the front of his lot that says:
"Here li the ashes of the last dog that p--d on my plants".

With all that said, our kids grew up with a dog. We like the gentle ones and would have one if it wasn't for our RV'ing

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost everyone that RVs has a dog. It's less of a problem than imagined because if more than 5% disregarded the rules, it would be chaos.

On our 6 month trip, Bubba the mini-schnau was starting to fail. We set the tablet to record and we figured out that he barked when we went away. He had a lot of separation anxiety so we just took him with us everywhere we went. If we could leave him in the car while we had dinner he was fine. If it was too hot, we just stayed home or hit a drive-through. A lot of places had outside seating so we just brought him into the restaurant.

The good news is if you run into a bad dog owner, you can just move.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would start getting your cats use to wearing a harness and being familiar with a harness and a leash. I had never seen a cat on a leash before and had to ask them how they did it. They just let them get use to doing it in side before going out.
Bill

2003 BOUNDER 38N
5.9 CUMMINS 300 HP
ALLISON 3000MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well when Wife and I hit the road full time some years ago we brought along our cats. Alex and Amber. now Alex is the original "Scardy cat" but Amber was more ...er... adventurous (If you heard a strange noise he'd run to hide, she to investigate)... Alas. Amber has crossed the bridge, but Alex is still around and purring.

Barking dogs.. Very very rarely will I hear dogs barking when I'm inside.. and Alex does not go outside.. I mean if I leave the door open he may go as far as the top step and look at me like "Why did you leave the door open" but that's as far.. Oh he has, by accident, gotten out (Fell out a window he did) but when we opened the door.. there he was. ON THE STEP wanting IN.

There have been a few campers who had a dog named "Sir Barks Alot" but park management has a tendency to tell them "Good by and don't return with Barker".

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

2oldman

Blanding UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noise has never been an issue for me unless I'm parked next to a lonely dog who barks when owners are gone.

Dog owners are good about picking up poop, but nobody cleans up urine, and if enough dogs have been in a park for enough time, it will start to smell and kills the grass.

mz-s

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

Almost everyone that RVs has a dog. It's less of a problem than imagined because if more than 5% disregarded the rules, it would be chaos.

Interesting point, thank you!

I appreciate everyone's comments. We're definitely going to rent an RV at least once or twice before we buy, so we'll be able to get real world experience then - but in the meantime it sounds like we can simmer down about the dogs at RV parks.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only problem we ever had with yapping dogs was a newbie neighbor who was clueless - family took a long walk and left their dogs tied up to the trailer. After an hour of constant barking I grabbed my chair/beer and went next door and sat with the dogs and read a book .... when the family returned I got some strange looks and I was reasonably polite explaining why I was babysitting their dogs. This same family allowed their kids to play next to my sewer outlet - had to explain why that was wrong as well. Yikes.

Kevin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dogs in RV parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS