Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RODENTS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
davidreynolds

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey badsix, Are you still facing rodent problem. There are various methods to minimize rodent damage. There are some steps that one must follow in order to control it like Prevention, Rodent Traps, Rodenticides, Ultrasonic Traps, or calling Professional Pest Control Companies. There are some exterminators like Pest Control Westport CT(http://www.yalepest.com/westport-pest-exterminators) that use eco-friendly chemical solution that won't even harm your dog. You can find one near by you by before hiring look what type of chemicals they are using and it won't harm your dog as well.

* This post was edited 02/10/18 05:30am by davidreynolds *

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

janstey58 wrote:

Cats are great except for the expense to feed, vets, etc....

My Peppermint oil costs me less than $15 and it also works.

Not a rodent problem but Peppermint oil is recommended for other stuff. and my current cat is immune to catnip (a relative to Peppermint) unlike the other cat I had who is now deceased so it might work, Plus I like the aroma.

So, now the question: Where do you get it?

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davidreynolds wrote:

Hey badsix, Are you still facing rodent problem. There are various methods to minimize rodent damage. There are some steps that one must follow in order to control it like Prevention, Rodent Traps, Rodenticides, Ultrasonic Traps, or calling Professional Pest Control Companies. There are some exterminators like Pest Control Westport CT(http://www.yalepest.com/westport-pest-exterminators) that use eco-friendly chemical solution that won't even harm your dog. You can find one near by you by before hiring look what type of chemicals they are using and it won't harm your dog as well.

Thanks I don't really have a rodent problem yet I just want to prevent the problem before it gets to be a problem. i do have a few cats in the area must belong to the neighbors. that's good they can feed them and let them catch mice over at my house I do have to get back on my prevention task though.
Jay D.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For every person who swears by peppermint oil and dryer sheets, there's another whose oil soaked cotton balls were urinated on, and dryer sheets were used as nesting material.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip the poisons . A hunger cat is what I use in the shed where I store my camper. I just don't feed it much. That may not work for you but a bunch of snap traps and sticky traps will work.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a hungry cat who brings me mice all the time. I help him out( (he's 12) by putting trays of poison where he can't get to them every fall before it gets cold. In the woodpile, the shed, and the crawl space. I use rat poison because we got rats (well not any more [emoticon] ), and no mice either.

Dave

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use this for rodent control......

[image]

Lakeside

Seon

Lake Camanhe, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've live here in the country for almost 20 yrs and Peppermint doesn't work for me nor cats that brings fleas. Here's what I use outside, a couple near the MH and it works great using peanut butter for bait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGD4OWC0GZI

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Poison or traps are you best option. Rodents can cause a LOT of damage.

Learn to make your own bait station or buy one like this. The dog won't be able to get at the bait and your RV will be safe from big damage.

A bait station will keep a dog from getting at the bait - BUT: these new "2nd-generation" rodenticides not only kill the mice/rats (takes several days to do so) but also kills anything that eats that rodent, either when dead or just before it dies. So you could be killing neighborhood pets/hawks/owls/foxes, etc....

My dog ate a piece of bait that a mouse had carried out of the bait station. Thank God I saw him chewing something and saw the crumbs. Eight weeks of Veterinary treatment saved his life.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Poison or traps are you best option. Rodents can cause a LOT of damage.

Learn to make your own bait station or buy one like this. The dog won't be able to get at the bait and your RV will be safe from big damage.

A bait station will keep a dog from getting at the bait - BUT: these new "2nd-generation" rodenticides not only kill the mice/rats (takes several days to do so) but also kills anything that eats that rodent, either when dead or just before it dies. So you could be killing neighborhood pets/hawks/owls/foxes, etc....

My dog ate a piece of bait that a mouse had carried out of the bait station. Thank God I saw him chewing something and saw the crumbs. Eight weeks of Veterinary treatment saved his life.

Yep. Two thumbs down for poison. Use traps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS