Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: PA non-commercial Class A license?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> PA non-commercial Class A license?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/17 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ouch!

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule ever did.

Whiskey River

Pittsburgh, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/17 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Todd: Just wondering why or what you are pulling or driving to need the license. I think you get 26,000 pounds on your regular license. And the "Oh officer I did not know I was at 27,300 pounds" excuse. I do know you need that type of license if you have something like a diesel pusher and I think one of the reasons is the air brakes that are on those heavy rigs... I guess if you are pulling the 5er with a tractor as in tractor trailer tow vehicle you would need the license..

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/17 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary O wrote:

To schedule a road test go to PA DMV,than drivers service,on right it will say schedule a drivers road test.For combination weight sticker take your truck and trailer owners card with you, I went to Tri Valley Tag Service.My truck license went from $303 to $757 per year!

Ok, let's see if I have all this correct:

1. Study sections 2,6,and 10 of the CDL manual.

2. Walk into a local DMV Driver Licensing Renewal Center and ask for a Class A Non-Commercial Drivers License permit.

3. At that time, take a permit written test.

4. If I pass the test, I am issued a permit that gives me a driver license number that I can use to schedule a driving test online at this link:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/exam_scheduling/eslogin.jsp?navigation=true

5. I update my TV registration at a local tag agency to reflect the new GCVW with my trailer and receive the proper windshield sticker.

6. I purchase a fire extinguisher and road triangles to keep in my truck.

7. On the scheduled date, I take a person with either a non-commercial Class A license or a Class A CDL license with me in my rig to take a driver test at the appointed Examination Center.

Thanks for your patience, as it sounds like if I miss any single thing, a lot of time and money could be wasted.

Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab Diesel Dually

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/17 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whiskey River wrote:

Todd: Just wondering why or what you are pulling or driving to need the license. I think you get 26,000 pounds on your regular license. And the "Oh officer I did not know I was at 27,300 pounds" excuse. I do know you need that type of license if you have something like a diesel pusher and I think one of the reasons is the air brakes that are on those heavy rigs... I guess if you are pulling the 5er with a tractor as in tractor trailer tow vehicle you would need the license..

First, with a 1 ton pickup and a typical 40'+ fifth wheel it is EASY to get over 26,001 lbs.

It's not ACTUAL weight they monitor, it is GCWR based on the stickers that are on the truck and trailer.

I am using a GMC 3500 diesel dually with a GVWR of 11,400 and a Jayco 377RLBH with a GVWR of 16,750. My GCWR is 28,150lbs.

Second, there are no second chances if you get pulled over or, worse, have an accident if you are not carrying a Class A endorsement on your PA (and other state) Drivers License, whether CDL or non.

It is like driving around with NO license. The trooper can impound your vehicle on the spot. If you had an accident, you can be criminally charged and civilly sued.

There seems to be a huge ignorance issue on this topic nationwide by recreational vehicle owners, partly due to the lack of education by RV dealers since they just want to move product. They are knowingly pushing illegal rigs onto the road.

But, in this country, we are all adults and should do our own due diligence.

Start here:

State by State breakdown of Class A and B laws

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/17 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ToddD wrote:

It is like driving around with NO license. The trooper can impound your vehicle on the spot. If you had an accident, you can be criminally charged and civilly sued.

And to clarify, this can happen nationwide, not just in your home state.

Your home state laws carry over to whatever other states you travel into.

Gary O

Beech Creek Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/17 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I went to get permit I told them what I wanted ,paid fee and received permit,no written test.My wife got her permit a couple months later and she didn't take any written test.Before I took road test the tester did ask me a lot of questions.Make sure you really study those 3 sections in manual.I just read the thread on Jayco Owners Forum and a lot of really good info on it.

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/17 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary O wrote:

When I went to get permit I told them what I wanted ,paid fee and received permit,no written test.My wife got her permit a couple months later and she didn't take any written test.Before I took road test the tester did ask me a lot of questions.Make sure you really study those 3 sections in manual.I just read the thread on Jayco Owners Forum and a lot of really good info on it.

Awesome, extremely helpful Gary. REALLY appreciate it, saved me a lot of hassles. I've already spent a lot of wasted time on the phone with the DMV and CDL centers, no one knows anything about this, which is kind of scary considering how many people are rolling around overweight and illegal!

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/17 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary O wrote:

One last question for you: do you know how long the permit is good for? Want to make sure it does not expire between issuing and the actual test.

Gary O

Beech Creek Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/17 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Permit is good for 1 year.The young lady that tested me was brought in to give me test,she was explaining to other testers their what test for truck and rv consisted of,they couldn't figure out why 5th wheel was parked in testing area for

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/17 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool, and I lied, one more question:

Does the permit allow you to "drive legal" during that 1 year period, before you do the test?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> PA non-commercial Class A license?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS