Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: PA non-commercial Class A license?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> PA non-commercial Class A license?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gary O

Beech Creek Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/17 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No,you have to have a class a licensed driver with you when towing. While waiting to take test,the tester told me to move truck and trailer to a different spot because I was blocking area for auto testing,I moved rig and backed in the spot where she told me to, while she watched,she said if I would have moved rig without a licensed class a in with me I would have failed!She also told me the state police are starting to check rver's for proper license and weight class. Just study the manual and you won't have any problems.I was getting ready to take a 4 week trip out west and glad I took care of this before we left.

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/17 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typical DMV. When we lived in CA the wife and I got our endorsement to tow 10k to 15k 5er no one knew what test to give us. Luckily some one from Sacramento was there doing some training and knew what test to give us. She had a different clerk than I did so they charged her and I wasn't charged. They mailed us a check for hers

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

sbergherr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/17 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone gone through this in Texas? While awaiting our 5er to come in I am reading about this licensing issue, and considering staying with our current TT. How in the world do you get a license on something you have never operated before?? I'm sure most drivers on the road don't have this license, but of course I want to be within the laws as well. 11,500 truck 15,500 trailer is over the 26k.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/17 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Todd,

I may be able to help depending on when AND where your going to go. I am a CDL class A and in Bucks County

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2016 Redwood 38RL Black~Silver

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/17 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate the offer. I have a good buddy with a CDL who offered to accompany me, but if scheduling ultimately does not work out with him, I'll drop you a line, thanks again.

Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab Diesel Dually

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/17 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Ontario us old pharts also have to get a physical EVERY year.

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/17 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is nice to see some facts on this topic. I checked for non commercial CDL requirements in NC and as usual their water is very muddy. RV's are exempt in one place but not in another. I will call to make sure but that is a **** shoot depending on who answers the phone. It took me forever to get clarity just on the weighted tag rules here in NC.
Our truck and rig combined weight is under the limit but much of an upgrade and I get to go to the dance.
I would say that a large number of rigs that we see traveling are not in compliance. Of the 3 Escapee states only TX requires the CDL for RVs. FL and SD do not.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/17 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

In Ontario us old pharts also have to get a physical EVERY year.

He MAY also... with the CDL A, , we need to get our medical card re need every year... It’s a federal thing.....

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/17 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I would say that a large number of rigs that we see traveling are not in compliance. Of the 3 Escapee states only TX requires the CDL for RVs. FL and SD do not.

Again, a non-commercial drivers license with a Class A endorsement is not the same as a CDL (a Commercial Drivers License) with a Class A. I think that is part of the problem here, people unknowingly mixing up the terminology when they start the search.

TX has similar law to PA. 26,001+ combined weight, with a trailer that alone has a 10k+ GVW, and you need a non-commercial Class A. No trailer over 10k, but still over 26,001 on driving vehicle, then Class B (example: large motorhome towing a car).

A CDL is for commercial use, meaning you take payment in exchange for hauling. A non-commercial version of the license is for recreational use, and comes with far less restrictions, retesting mandates, medical tests, etc., though it is not commonly acquired by RV drivers who are over the weight limit of their home states.

Just making that clarification for anyone reading this thread.

Todd

ToddD

Glenside, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/17 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And according to this site, NC has basically same law as TX and PA:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> PA non-commercial Class A license?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS