Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
busterbrown73

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 01:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in the planning phase of an 18 day summer trip up the eastern coast of the US into Canada and onto Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. We're pulling our 35 foot travel trailer and traveling with our three boys (ages 8, 4, and 3) and our 10 year old pooch. Our trip begins from southeast Michigan with a quick visit to a friend in NYC. Then we head northeast towards Maine.

Neither the DW or myself have been up into these maritime provinces, nor farther north than Boston. Our plans are to stay in Maine for a couple of nights then head into Canada.

Any significant difference between crossing the border in Calais or Houlton?

I've been scouring the internet for advice on RV ferry travel between the Canadian provinces. Recommendations appreciated as far as best pricing, routes between NS and PEI, and must see attractions along the way.

Some of NS sites we want to visit include:

1. Cape Breton Highlands National Park including the Cabot Trail and Skyline trail
2. Peggy's Cove
3. Halifax
4. The Bay of Fundy
5. Louisbourg Harbor
6. Citadel National Historic Site

Any other "must sees" either in NS or on PEI?

As far as RV parks or campgrounds, I would love to hear suggestions from those who have stayed at some in these provinces.

We'd like to return from the maritime provinces into the US and travel through NH, Vermont and upper NY state for a couple of days. Our final destination would be Niagra Falls before heading back to Michigan. Any suggestions on a route?

Thanks in advance.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your list of sites looks good. I would consider staying at Acadia National park in Maine if you can fit it in. Take the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth for the shortcut (but not cheap) to NS. Take Hwy 103 along the coast, to Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, and Halifax. There is a KOA outside Halifax (never been) but we preferred to stay at Shubie park on the Dartmouth side. Then take the Cabot Trail to Cape Breton. Checkout the Fortress Louisborg national site as well.

You then have to backtrack a bit to get onto PEI. The ferry from Caribou is a shorter route and an experience. If you drive all the way to the Confederation bridge it is free to cross onto the island, you only have to pay when leaving.

Our favorite area in PEI for the family is Cavendish. Nice national park, although we haven't been in a few years, and lots for the kids in the area (Sandspit amusement park, Anne of Green Gables etc).

Take the Confederation bridge on the return and go through NB to see the Bay of Fundy. Plan a stay in Fundy National Park to see Hopewell Rocks and the tides.

* This post was last edited 12/06/17 04:08pm by camp-n-family *   View edit history

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

rockylarson

Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about Houlton but we volunteered this pass summer at Moosehorn NWR based in Calais. Of the three border crossings in Calais I would recommend the commerical crossing on the north end of town. Much more RV friendly than going into downtown Calais crossing into downtown Saint Steven.

2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2003 CRV/2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300watts solar, 7 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

You then have to backtrack a bit to get onto PEI. The ferry from Caribou is a shorter route and an experience but not cheap. If you drive all the way to the Confederation bridge it is free to cross onto the island, you only have to pay when leaving.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, The ferry from Caribou to Woods Island is free. As with the bridge, one pays when leaving on the Ferry.

We have always taken the Ferry to PEI and left on the bridge.

Adding to things to do in NS, the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck is worth a visit.

On Cape Breton, we like to stay a the Broad Cove campground on the east side. I believe they take reservations, now.

Our favorite hike is the Middle Head Trail.

Tom

w4phj

Vero Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recommend crossing at Houlton. Every time I use Calais, I get searched which is typically a 45 minute delay.

A day trip around the Cabot Trail is always a very pleasant trip with great sightseeing.

2005 Bounder 37U Cat C7 Engine
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sure things have changed a little in eight years but you may want to check out our 2010 blog when we visited Atlantic Canada. BTW, if you have the time, Newfoundland was the highlight of that trip and we would suggest you go and enjoy it if you can.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've lived down in this area since 1978 and used to own land near Lubec, Maine. You see more if you don't take the ferry.

----I have been to Campobello Island many times.
--I've also been to Grand Manan Island. Both very special. There is a ferry connection which takes in those two and Deer Island. You wind up in south shore NB if you take that connection. Check it.

{{{re. bridge from Lubec to Campobello Is, CA border guard told my father of note he'd made in the record for the day: "Admitted one skunk, no questions asked"}}}

Generality. Take some of the older roads. Lots of interesting land and buildings given that this area was settled from 1600s on.

I tend to prefer crossing near Calais. Houlton is all major roads, seeing less.

Sights
******* Fortress of Louisbourg. It is a reconstruction staffed with people in period clothes talking their 18th century jobs.
Fundy Tides
Tidal Bore
Agree on Citadel. Today, Dec. 6, 2017 is the 100th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion when a munitions WWI ship blew up in that harbour killing 2000 and injuring 9,000 more, and flattening much of that city. NS sends Boston a huge Xmas tree every year to say "thank you" for your help in 1917. Much is shown at the Citadel.

Re. Cabot Trail, pretty scenery, but they took out the communities, thus loosing much character. Gros Morne National Park kept the people side of that park, thus IMH0 a much much better national park.

Meat Cove at top of Cape Breton adds more to scenery with people.

Yes, you pay when leaving PEI. ie. take ferry to and Bridge from. Bridge costs less.
Charlottetown is quite historic, used to kids. re. farmer's markets. Charlottetown Farmer's Market, especially on Saturday - take empty tummy and empty freezer to, carry away full happy tummy and full freezer and crafts.
Last time I did PEI beaches I was 15. Thus, great for kids.
& before you go read Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Take all of you to the site re. said book, Green Gables House. I think that might well be a doggie site too.
Kids and parents - Orwell Cove Historic Village and neighbouring Sir Andrew MacPhail homestead. Orwell Cove has baby livestock in season. Operational places such as a Blacksmith. Lots of places to walk at both. Meals at MacPhail.

Campling. All gov. sponsored cgs on PEI are good. I prefer the wooded, but kids might like more open with swimming places.

NS cgs. Whycocomagh, 5 Islands and one near Louisbourg Fortress, I've done. Liked. Many like one nearer to start of Cabot Trail.

More, if wanted.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You then have to backtrack a bit to get onto PEI. The ferry from Caribou is a shorter route and an experience but not cheap. If you drive all the way to the Confederation bridge it is free to cross onto the island, you only have to pay when leaving

Both the ferry and bridge are free to use when going to PEI. Both charge to leave PEI and yes the ferry is more. Depending on your destination when leaving, the ferry could work out to be no more cost when consider savings on fuel and highway toll.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hank snow was born in Brooklyn Nova Scotia. If you take your time and look around there is much to see. Don't be in a hurry. Take a walk and see Kejimkujik Seaside.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might check out The Ovens near Lunenburg. They have a campground right on the water's edge and you can visit the sea caves.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS