Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
daveB110

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ann Murray is from Springhill, Nova Scotia, and a building dedicated to her career is located there. Would be a good stop if your route can take you there. Not sure if there is something about their coal mining there, they had three major disasters near Springhill. Ann was a great thing for the town, in largely cancelling the problem of those disasters. Her Order of Canada medal was on display when we saw the museum in 2014.

TimnJo

Eastern Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/17 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might not want to tow your trailer on the Cabot Trail; there's a scary switchback at the bottom of one steep (7%?) descent and plenty of steep ascents and descents throughout, but the scenery is definitely worth a tour.

2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TimnJo wrote:

You might not want to tow your trailer on the Cabot Trail; there's a scary switchback at the bottom of one steep (7%?) descent and plenty of steep ascents and descents throughout, but the scenery is definitely worth a tour.

But that way you won't get to the very north of Cape Breton Island, which is quite special, esp. Meat Cove.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

ssthrd

Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii, Terrace, ??

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/17 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little Kopit wrote:

TimnJo wrote:

But that way you won't get to the very north of Cape Breton Island, which is quite special, esp. Meat Cove.

[emoticon]

Leave the trailer in Baddeck and do the circle. It's a nice day trip. While in Baddeck take time to enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell museum.

2013 Wilderness 2750RL
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ssthrd wrote:

Little Kopit wrote:

TimnJo wrote:

[emoticon]

Leave the trailer in Baddeck and do the circle. It's a nice day trip. While in Baddeck take time to enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell museum.

& I'm saying you will miss lots and lots by leaving the trailer or whatever in the south.

[emoticon]

ssthrd

Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii, Terrace, ??

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@LK.......

Didn't mean to upset you. I apologize if I did. I absolutely agree that Meat Cove is a special place for sure, and I think that everyone should go there for clam chowder.

I just wonder how the drive would be towing a 35' travel trailer. It has been many years since I have been there (born and raised in NS), and I remember a dirt road that was rough and narrow in places. No doubt it is paved now, but I don't know.....

Maybe OP can call ahead to get more info.........

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ssthrd wrote:

@LK.......

Didn't mean to upset you. I apologize if I did. I absolutely agree that Meat Cove is a special place for sure, and I think that everyone should go there for clam chowder.

I just wonder how the drive would be towing a 35' travel trailer. It has been many years since I have been there (born and raised in NS), and I remember a dirt road that was rough and narrow in places. No doubt it is paved now, but I don't know.....

Maybe OP can call ahead to get more info.........

It was paved when I was last there bit before 2000. Should be better. https://novascotia.ca/tran/cameras/ Check cams when the weather is better. Snow in forecast there for tonight. All of the Atlantic Canada provinces have web cams. I have urls for all if interested.

Has anyone mentioned getting visitors guides yet. Google "name of province tourism".

[emoticon]

Just about everyone in Atlantic Canada does a seafood chowder. I like New Glasgow Lobster Suppers (PEI) best because they don't use scallops. & I'm allergic to scallops.

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/17 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Acadia, the campground on the Schoodic Peninsula is much easier to get in to and out of -- the sites in the campgrounds on the main part of the park are more scenic, but more cramped. You will want reservations if you are going in the summer.

PEI is great, but you will probably need reservations there as well. There are several provincial as well as a national park. We stayed in two of the provincial parks, and we were able to get sites right on the water. If you call the parks for reservations, they are very helpful to tell you what is available. After July 1, however, most of the sites near the water will be taken by folks who just spend the summer there. Be sure to visit the North Cape Wind Energy center. It is a great place to have some local food as well. Be sure to sample the mussels. Don't forget the potato museum as well.

Price to cross the bridge back to civilization a little over $60 CDN.

busterbrown73

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/17 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the responses so far. Nova Scotia is bigger than I thought as I don't want to pull our trailer all over the province. What options, locations, and campgrounds are recommended in the northeast if we want to do day trips to Cape Breton?

Same for the southwest. At least 2-3 days are planned to visit Halifax and to see the high/low tides off the bay of Fundy. What is a good for a base camp for day trips in the southwest? Anyone stayed at the KOA near Halifax? Recommended?

busterbrown73

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/17 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, is 2 days enough on PEI to see the sights with 3 children? Enough to keep them (and Mom and Dad) entertained? Or should be skip it all together? Trying to put an itinerary together and the routes keep 'back-tracking' on each other when we drive up from Saint Johns.

I thought about ferry service from SJ's to Digby but pricing may keep us on the road. The length of our entire rig is 58 feet. At $7 USD per foot, $413 is hard to swallow.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS