Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/17 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to the Nova Scotia provincial website and order their Dreamers guide. It has tons of information to help you choose.

For Halifax, check the Pier for day parking. When I went, I was able to park for $10 a day and take FRED (free rides every day bus) around the downtown area to all the sights. You can hop on and off the bus around the circuit.

I stayed on Brier Island at the inn, but the Digby Neck is wonderful. Be sure to do the Ocean Explorations whale watching. They take you out on a zokiak inflatable and you get a wonderful view of the whales being right at the water. Look at Digby for campgrounds - easy to drive the neck from there.

Go to Truro to see the Tidal Bore. Near there is also the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park - nice little park and you can see the Sable island horses.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/17 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

busterbrown73 wrote:

Also, is 2 days enough on PEI to see the sights with 3 children? Enough to keep them (and Mom and Dad) entertained? Or should be skip it all together? Trying to put an itinerary together and the routes keep 'back-tracking' on each other when we drive up from Saint Johns.

I thought about ferry service from SJ's to Digby but pricing may keep us on the road. The length of our entire rig is 58 feet. At $7 USD per foot, $413 is hard to swallow.

Disagree, 2 days is barely a tease for PEI.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/17 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With only 18 days I would consider skipping PEI this time. Nova Scotia has so much to see and do and you will save the cost of the bridge/ferry. The Visitor's Center at St. Stephens NB has wonderful information about the various "Trails" to explore. Spend some time reviewing them and design a route that will help you maximize your time.
We like the commercial border crossing in Calais and after stopping in St. Stephens, head up to Fundy NP. Plan a stop at Hopewell Rocks at both high and low tide. Your kids will love walking on the beach among the "hoo-doos" at low tide. If the kids are up for it, take a kayak tour to paddle among them at high tide. (Use some of the $$ you saved from not going to PEI).
After crossing into Nova Scotia you can circumnavigate north to Cape Breton Island. OR,some of the best fossil hunting in the world can be found along the shores of the Bay of Fundy off North Mountain. Peggy's Cove is a tourist favorite but is very worth it. The suggestion to see The Ovens is right on. We camped there and were able to slip over in the early morning to have coffee in a sea cave! You will want to come back, so don't be in a hurry. lizzie

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/17 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopewell rocks..spend a day to see the tides and the kids can run around at low tide...there is a tide chart online...google it.

Our Blog

busterbrown73

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/17 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My itinerary is coming along but I'm unsure of where to park our 35 travel trailer for 3 days while we explore Cape Breton Island. Anyone have suggestions as we like to keep day trip travel times to 2 hours round trip? Preferably full hookups? Is there a good "central region" to call base camp? Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground is well received from RV'ers so thinking about this... Thanks in advance.

* This post was edited 12/26/17 11:37pm by busterbrown73 *

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/17 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it will be running in 2018, I would suggest to see the musical play of "Anne of Green Gables". We saw this on our last RV trip to PEI and loved it.

Confederation Centre of the Arts clicky

Janet

Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 02:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little Kopit wrote:

& before you go read Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Take all of you to the site re. said book, Green Gables House. I think that might well be a doggie site too.
More, if wanted.

[emoticon]

Yet you can do musical, but I still say read the main book first. BTB there are 7 books in the Anne series.

I'm one of those who reads and re-reads every thing L.M. Montgomery wrote. Though I'm not as much of afficionado to take courses about her writing.

[emoticon]

Red-Rover

NW Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/17 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of years ago we did a 30 day trip through "The Maritimes" and included whale watching out of Brier Island, a highlight of the trip, then took a ferry from Digby to St John NB.
Two observations --- Fuel is so expensive a ferry ride to save driving can make sense and the lobster is really fresh and plentiful.
Have fun!

2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

TexRdr

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/18 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been reading all the NS info. WOW! Seems like ALOT to see and do. Wife and I and 2-80 # dogs, (am aware of rabies certificate requirement) planning August trip from TX to NS. Planning to enter Canada at Niagara Falls, thru Toronto, Montreal, Quebec to New Brunswick into Nova Scotia. Thinking of no more than 250 mi/day and see sites along the way. minimal of 1 week in NS. Currently on list is Bay of Fundy, Kejimkujik N.P. (?) Halifax, Peggys Cove. Recommendations? 1. Make reservations at camps now? 2. Extend trip for Cabot trail? 3. what is weather like in Aug? Advance "Thanks and Happy 2018" to all from Texas. 25' Renegade Villagio Class B

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs need shots for Lime disease. Yes, it's this far north.

Fortress Louisbourg and Fundy tides should be highest priority.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS