Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/17 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a used 2002 Coleman Niagara Elite pop up. Looks like new. It had most all options I would ever want. I never paid attention to the gas furnace, that were not a part of the options. Anyone out there tried the Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater — 18,000 BTU in a pop up and that did not worry about CO2 death?

Come visit with us and swim with the Manatees

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/17 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look into the Camco Olympian wave heaters, safer units from what I have read and use less propane too.
3000 btu unit is listed as suitable for 130 sqft, I know canvas sides lose a lot, but a 6000 may well be enough.

GNO22

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/17 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont know offhand the specs of the furnace in our camper, but our pup is a little smaller. Nonetheless, there is a carbon monoxide detector on the inside. Yours should have one too. You can locate it in the manual (or online) and test it similar to a standard smoke detector. You could buy an after market one as well, but I'll bet my dollar that you already have one.

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/17 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one.. puts out a whopping amount of heat with no CO worries.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/17 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They create a lot of moisture unless your someplace really dry. Also, while they are pretty safe I would not sleep in a small area with one running.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/17 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On high mine will heat my big 5er from 60 to 70 in about 5 minutes. But I still prefer the furnace. Quieter and more even heat. And Mr Heaters really go through those cylinders fast on high.

I'm in a dry climate so I didn't notice any moisture.

petrel

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/17 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used a pair of buddy heaters to heat our travel trailer while dry camping in a state park. They worked great, but I did find myself double checking the CO detectors.

43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/17 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a ceramic (electric) heater in our TT and I usually have to turn the thermostat down as it gets to darn hot.

By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Isaac-1

SW Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of the smaller single disposable tank heater buddies which has served me well over the years. It is the older design with the non-swiveling tank mount. Though these are relatively safe, I would not sleep in a confined space with one running. One issue that does come up on mine when running in a cooler environment is freeze up on the small disposable 1 pound tanks, if ran on high in a cold (near freezing temperature) space the tanks will tend to freeze up and the heater stop working when they are still 1/4 - 1/3 full, I don't know if this is an issue with the dual disposable tank models. Tanks left connected will also tend to drain down over long periods of time (weeks or months)

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are three heaters in the Buddy line. Little Buddy, Buddy, and Big Buddy. The Big Buddy used to have a quick connect port for a hose that could be connected to the low pressure side of the propane feed. This would allow you to plumb in a hose inside the RV from the cook-top, furnace, water heater, or fridge. I don't see that mentioned for their current model.

I have the Buddy that I use in my 24ft motorhome and it works well. I removed the built-in regulator and attached a hose that is plumbed into the line that feeds my cook-top.

I would think that the Buddy would be large enough for your needs. If you do not want to remove the built in regulator there are hoses available to connect direct to a propane tank.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 2013 Smart Car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS