Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Jeff10236

Annapolis, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one, but I've never used it in my pop up. I usually camp at a spot with an electric hookup and just use a ceramic heater which works nicely to heat the popup. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Mr. Heater Buddy heater in my popup when awake. Like others have said, I'd be hesitant to use it when sleeping. Anything with an open flame that puts out carbon monoxide (minuscule amounts but still) and burns oxygen is probably best used when you are fully awake.

Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406
Tents: Boulder Creek Hunter Ridge 4 (cheap 4-season tent from Bass Pro Shops), Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4, Kelty Grand Mesa 6, Big Agnes Fairview 4

RinconVTR

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/17 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THEY HAVE AN OPEN FLAME!

Not only is the pilot light an open flame, its an open flame on the element as well.

We use these heaters for deer stands and ice fishing. Cant be beat.

But I would never...ever use them in a trailer of which I sleep in.

I'd consider using one to break the cold to help out the furnace, but I use a small ceramic space heater for that purpose.

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RinconVTR wrote:

THEY HAVE AN OPEN FLAME!

Not only is the pilot light an open flame, its an open flame on the element as well.

We use these heaters for deer stands and ice fishing. Cant be beat.

But I would never...ever use them in a trailer of which I sleep in.

I'd consider using one to break the cold to help out the furnace, but I use a small ceramic space heater for that purpose.

Why, that's what they are designed for. They are designed to be used in tents and trailers.

2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, Pulling a 2012 29'1" Jayco Jay Flight 26BH, 8' wide, 6'9" ceiling, loaded at ~6500 lbs using a Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Big Buddy Heater and really like it for the tents in the fall.

I like that it has a built in fan that can be used with batteries or an AC adapter.

The heater itself is pretty safe. It has tip over protection and a low O2 shutoff.

Since this is a ventless propane heater, you must leave a window open in your camper since it burns the oxygen inside the camper. If there's inadequate oxygen, incomplete combustion happens, and we know what that produces, Carbon Monoxide (CO). So it's 2 fold, depletes the oxygen out of the air and then produces CO from the incomplete combustion resulting from the depletion of oxygen.

So always leave a window open and always use a CO Alarm, which is mandatory in RVs anyway. You'll also want to have a propane gas detector/alarm which are also mandatory in RVs.

Also, do not have the heater by any bedding, loose clothes, drapes, or loose tenting. Here's the manual and the website for it.

toddnks

KS, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a big buddy in our deer stand and a first gen buddy heater that we use in our pop-up. I have never worried about CO2 or low oxygen from them since they have the ODS and I have a CO2 alarm. Most people probably worry more than I do though.

The Kings

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone ever backpack in buddy heaters? I'm looking to go further off grid 8 miles to deer hunt. I don't use the pup for too much anymore.

2007 R-Vision Trail Sport 26-QBS
2007 Jayco 1206 Pupup
2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0/3.73 Captains.
Lowe Bass Catcher Pro Mod-V Welded 50hp Mercury
Bell Chestnut Prospector 16ft Royalex
Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 Camo

Fireman286

SE Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one years ago to take my kids hunting. While I’ll still carry it on cold days it would be a pain to carry for 8 miles since you would need to carry extra propane bottles with you, unless you can leave it and just bring the extra propane.

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/18 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fireman286 wrote:

I bought one years ago to take my kids hunting. While I’ll still carry it on cold days it would be a pain to carry for 8 miles since you would need to carry extra propane bottles with you, unless you can leave it and just bring the extra propane.

I would leave it back there. Initial hike in big tent broken down to two backpacks, next hike in cooking gear, third trip buddy heaters, and water, 4th hike in basic 3 day backpacking gear and the bows.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS